October 21, 2016 at 7:23AM, Edited October 21, 7:27AM

Is 1080p HD movie print is acceptable in Movie Theater Screens in 2016-17 ?

I'm planning a movie project in India, and want to release it in movie theaters in mainly 3 cities of my state, but I don't have other 2K or 4K cameras, I have cameras which has 1080p Full HD resolution, should I go for it, or I have to buy 2K 4k Cameras for acceptable look on screen??
Kindly Plz Help me Out !

I've posted this question before and got some valuable response, but I need more explanation from the professionals.

7 Comments

A similar question has already been answered.
http://nofilmschool.com/boards/questions/1920x1080-good-enough-release-m...

Good luck on your movie!
I hope everything goes as planned!

October 21, 2016 at 9:20AM

Thanks Bryan, But may I have more explanation, and some recent movies names which were released in 1080p ?

Aishwary DUBEY

October 21, 2016 at 10:53AM

I've never released anything in theaters, but I'll give you my two cents.

I'll say it's a safe bet to have a 4k camera (whatever camera fits your needs) if you're truly concerned about resolution, but keep in mind most people not in our little niche can't tell the difference between true 1080p and 4k even on a theater projector. You can rent instead of buy for your movie, but I don't know the rental houses available in India.

Focus on the story, characters, etc. and don't get into the 1080p vs 4k debate. Plus, if you have a dedicated DP on set let him worry about those small details.

I don't know any recent movies on the top of my head strictly filmed in 1080p, but don'the let the resolution be the obstacle to achieving your goals. A 4k release is not going to make you one of the big boys in Hollywood (or Bollywood). Heck, the Blair Witch Project was released in under HD in theaters and people still enjoyed it.

Bryan Pham

October 22, 2016 at 6:15PM

All movies are released in 1080p (or 2K, it's nearly the same). There is NO cinema with 4K projection.

October 22, 2016 at 12:22AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

This debate is retarded. Which movies were shown in the cinema in 1080p? Basically all of them. Of the 30 highest grossing films of last year 28 or 29 of them were mastered in 2k(basically 1080p). I think only Tomorrowland had a 4k master.

October 23, 2016 at 1:43PM

chris

Brother,

I haven't ever done any type of serious release, but have gotten a short video of mine played in a theatre. I made an engagement proposal video for my then girlfriend at the time and shot in 1080. I ran into issues and couldn't get it burned on blu-ray so burned to 720 on normal DVD. Was worried about quality because theatre agreed to let me play movie before major hollywood film (hunger games) to appear as another trailer. When I went to test the DVD at the theatre I was blown away because I could barely tell the difference between my 720 burned film and the other items played on the screen. I am not boasting about my shooting quality, just stating how even 720 can look fine blown up. 1080 is more than enough.

My poor 2 cents.

October 23, 2016 at 5:50PM

Matt M

I screened an SD film in a theater a few years back - looked fantastic on the big screen.

October 23, 2016 at 6:21PM

Jason Loya
Director/Artist

Your Comment