February 8, 2015 at 8:20AM

$5,000 filmmaking kit?

What camera and other filmmaking essentials should I get if my budget is $5,000?

Things I already own and thus are not included in the budget: An EF-S 18-135 lens, a shotgun mic (no mic stands or recording device), and a shoulder rig.

4 Comments

What kind of film making you planning on getting into? Narrative, Documentary, it really depends.

February 10, 2015 at 11:37AM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op

IMO - I think people overlook G&E. I know we can play jazz on the camera and get some exposures we want, but let's be real - the DSLRs many of us are using are no champs in low light. They do what they can, but video in low-light is noisy, I don't care what anyone argues. The proof is in the picture. Now if you can snag a used, cheap parcan or two and some bounces? Maybe a flag / net set for $250.00, you've got a whole lot of budget left over for converting your garage into a mini studio with a light and green syc. OR, you've got room now for some fanciness with a camera slider or mini-jib setup. That adds quality to your final picture, no matter what kind of genre / medium / format you choose.

October 23, 2015 at 3:10PM

Jeff Worden
Producer

People always start off with a camera. I think this is a mistake. A camera is the easiest thing to borrow or rent, and it will be obsolete in about 20 minutes. A good shotgun microphone can last you a career, as can a trio of fresnels; if you have those, the movie you shoot on your iPhone will be more watchable than the one by the individual who owns an Arri Alexa and nothing else.

February 4, 2017 at 6:35PM

Minor Mogul
Dilettante

Dude! Don't spend 5 grand! I've got 5000 dollars worth of video equipment, but I only spent 1500 on mine. Cuz I it it all used! It all works fine!

November 24, 2017 at 10:15PM

Weston T. Ney
Christian Filmmaker

Your Comment