February 2, 2015 at 10:17PM

Best camera for under 1000$?

I've been using my Canon Rebel T3i for almost 3 years now, and i'm shooting my first feature length film this summer and i'd like a new camera because it just feels right. I'm aiming for about an $1000 budget for the camera, which is probably the highest I'll go. I've been used to DSLR filmmaking, but i'm open to a non-DSLR for my next camera, it would just have to be an interchangeable lens camera. Does anybody have any suggestions for a new camera?

1 Comment

It's tough to say with that budget. My first instinct is to suggest a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera. But, to get a decent ready to shoot kit from that, you'll probably end up spending more than $1000. My guess is that you could get a usable setup for around $1200 or $1300. But, that would probably be the best image you could get for your budget.

As for DSLRs, you might be better off sticking with what you have, adding magic lantern (if you haven't already) and instead invest in a decent lens or maybe two. Upgrading to a newer t[insert number here]i model isn't going to give you that many new features and once you go past that model you'll be over your budget.

February 4, 2015 at 12:31AM

Brad Tennant
Director / Cinematographer

Your Comment