September 20, 2014 at 6:18AM

Camera, 8000$ budget

Hello,
after 1 year of hard work I've finally managed to save something to upgrade my camera.
I have a budget of 8,000$.
I am a great fan of Sony's camera. I often work with sony FS700 and I love slo-mo!

With such budget, I was thinking to buy the URSA, or maybe the Cion.
But then the Sony FS7 came out and I'm more inclined to buy that camera at the moment.

What would you suggest? Is there any other cameras worth the money?

Thanks!
Andrea

16 Comments

You can always upgrade the FS700 to shoot 4k for example .
i'm planning to move on Blackmagic Ursa and to be able to upgrade it without buying another camera in the near future .

September 22, 2014 at 12:07AM

Multiflave
Director , Editor , Audio Engineer

This sounds brilliant to me... take your 8k and spend it on some nice lenses, and buy the odessy 7Q (or whatever other option) and use your FS700 for 4k....

Connor Norvell

September 22, 2014 at 1:07PM

I'm not an fs700 owner, or I would definitely go the way you suggested!
I work with the FS700 when I'm given the opportunity to choose a camera to rent and RED and Alexa are out of budget.

Andrea Labate

October 9, 2014 at 3:23PM, Edited October 9, 3:23PM

What kind of stuff do you shoot mainly? There are number of cameras with different characteristics floating around these days! :)

September 22, 2014 at 1:30AM

Mat Sliwinski
Creative Director

Have you seen the Sony FS7? If you can wait and stretch your budget to get it, then I'd totally go for it:
http://nofilmschool.com/2014/09/sony-pxw-fs7-super-35mm-e-mount-camera-internal-4k-xavc-raw

However.. I'm a bit cautious about recommending it, as you haven't mentioned what you have currently? Such as lenses, recording media, batteries, lighting, and audio... what do you do you have currently, and what will you need? (because even these little things, can all add up quickly to an extra grand, or many times more...)

As if you are starting from scratch, or only with a little collection, then the camera body will only be a tiny proportion of the total cost. If so, I'd recommend something such as the Sony A7S with am Atomos Shogun 4K Recorder. This would be an amazing combo, and still leave you with several thousand dollars in your hand to buy new lenses and other items for it.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/07/atomos-shogun-4k-recorder-now-available-...

September 22, 2014 at 4:55AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

I own a lot of Nikon analog Lenses, willing to buy the Speedboster and using them on the new camera I get.
I have a few LEDs and some Arri lights, an iMac with every spec to the maximum, no audio equipment, no Sony batteries.

Andrea Labate

October 9, 2014 at 3:25PM

I would wait for the Sony FS7, there are just too many advantages with this camera over any of it's competitors.

September 22, 2014 at 7:21PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I guess that's the way to go too... Even though I don't want to have a documentary only style camera. Do you think for low budget (under 15k) ads and videoclips would be good too?

Andrea Labate

October 9, 2014 at 3:26PM

There is no perfect camera, but given your budget I would buy the Sony FS7, as there's nothing else out there with the same feature set at this price range.

NAB 2015 may bring new Canon Cxx and Pansonic AF200 cameras with 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, but for the next 9 months it looks like the Sony FS7 is going to have this price range all to itself.

Guy McLoughlin

October 9, 2014 at 5:44PM, Edited October 9, 5:44PM

Thanks for your help.

Andrea Labate

October 10, 2014 at 7:19AM

Guy, have you shot with the FS7?

David S.

October 10, 2014 at 10:00AM

Rent, or better yet, borrow the ones you are interested in.

All the specs, test-footage, and nofilmschool debates in the world can't tell you what a day of shooting can.

Yeah, it cuts into your budget... but if this is the camera you're gonna stick with for a couple of years, minimum, then it is completely worth it.

October 10, 2014 at 9:59AM

David S.

Thanks for your answer David.
I've been shooting with Blackmagic cameras (pocket, 2k and 4k), Sony (fs700, a7s), Alexa, RED, Nikon, Canon, GH4, Phantom, pretty much anything on the market. But no camera felt 100% complete for what I do.
I probably pretend too much, but I'd like a 4k, raw, lightweight easy-to-carry with no need of 200 accessories and with the possibility to shoot slow-motion, that can be used for low budget ads as well as documentaries.
I think like was suggested above the FS7 is my only choice so far, especially since the URSA weight around 7kg.

Andrea Labate

October 10, 2014 at 6:42PM

>>>Guy, have you shot with the FS7?

Not yet. I don't think too many people have, but given that it's a Sony professional camera and is likely in the same pedigree as the Sony FS700 ( but with 2 more years of development under it's belt ) I don't see this camera as much of a risk.

At this price point there's really no competition right now, but that could change with NAB 2015. ( I expect new things from Canon and Panasonic to compete with the Sony FS7 camera )

Yes, there are the lower cost Blackmagic cameras, but these are digital cine cameras with more limited low-light ability and no real slow-motion option.

October 16, 2014 at 12:17AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I'll go with the FS7 as soon as it comes out. Thanks everybody!

October 23, 2014 at 6:32PM

Andrea Labate
Director / Cinematographer

Don't go for the Cion. It looks good on the outside, but it's just a Blackmagic 4K with a bigger body. Ursa, same thing with a few more bells and whistles. Sony FS7 would be my choice of this list.

Ben Kumanovski
Director | Cinematographer
www.globalpictures.com.au

May 22, 2017 at 10:02PM

Ben Kumanovski
Director | Cinematographer

Your Comment