July 29, 2015 at 11:50AM

Cine Lens for Nikon d5300

Hi everyone do you guys know if there is cine lens for nikon d5300 and which one is good xD

3 Comments

Can you explain a little by what you mean by "cine" lens? ( so many people have different definitions for this term )

I use the older fully manual Nikon AI-S lenses which are quite popular with Indie filmmakers because of their look and how affordable they are. ( you can also get focus and aperture gears added to them ) I now own 8 of these lenses because I like the look so much.

The Rokinon Cine lenses are also popular because they already come with gears in place, and because they are fairly low cost.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom lens is very popular with Indie filmmakers because of the zoom range and how fast this lens is for a zoom.

July 29, 2015 at 12:27PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

A photography lens may have some shortcomings if used for video.

One aspect is focus. For photography you set the focus once and then shoot. For video that may be different. You could change the focus while shooting. So that requires that the focus is not only very smooth but also exact and linear. The same goes for with zoom, how smooth and linear is the zoom.

Additionally many photography zoom lenses have a minimum aperture depending on the zoom level, obviously that is a problem for video, you cannot afford to have the exposure change while zooming. Also focus may not be stable while zooming.

I would suggest a lens that has a smooth manual focus and has a constant aperture while zooming. Also test if the zooming feels natural.

July 31, 2015 at 9:55AM, Edited July 31, 10:38AM

Cary Knoop

A real cine prime is going to cost $4,000+ ( the Rokinon lenses are repackaged DSLR lenses ) and a real cine zoom is going to cost $15,000+, so for most of us it's either spend a lot on cine lens rentals or put up with the drawbacks of using DSLR lenses.

The only exception here are the Veydra cine primes for Micro 4/3 cameras, that cost between $1,000 to $1,500 each.

Guy McLoughlin

July 31, 2015 at 2:04PM

Your Comment