June 13, 2018 at 12:05PM

Compressing 1080p 15s video to 3-4mb for a web header.

Hey NFS. I'm trying to compress a video I produced to a 15s video to 3-4mb without it looking super horrible. Right now I'm using h.264 to get it down around that # but it's got some rough pixelation in areas. Any suggestions on the codec / method?

3 Comments

I would drop your resolution to 720p. That way your bitrate information isn't being wasted on resolution. What I usually use for small feature screeners at my company is a H264 at 720p with a bitrate of 3.3mb/s.

June 13, 2018 at 3:59PM

Create a custom timeline and set the size to the actual dimensions of your banner. Put your footage on the timeline and adjust the image (size and position) in the window to your liking. If it shows black borders on the sides, in the Video Inspector, change Conform (or whatever it's called in your NLE) from 'Fit' to 'None' or the equivalent then, resize. In FCPX it's called Spatial Conform (bottom of the Video Inspector tab). Export as H264. You should be able to keep the bit rate pretty high for image quality but, keep the file size manageable.

June 13, 2018 at 5:12PM, Edited June 13, 5:15PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

Great, thanks for this. I'll give it a whirl!

Nate Brown

June 14, 2018 at 12:45PM

Your Comment