February 24, 2015 at 5:36PM

You voted '+1'.

Looking to buy best possible photo/video camera for cinema

Hey guys, so I'm a filmmaker and producer, I mostly specialize in either sketch: parodies, comedy, etc (I run an online sketch series with a big audience) or narrative content: both short or feature length dramas.

Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away recently, and left me with some inheritance. I know she'd want to help me out, so I'm putting that toward a camera package to better make my projects come to life. Here is where I am at.

I am also a photographer; I do weddings, headshots, landscapes, etc. I would like to upgrade both my photo camera, and my film camera, at the same time, and in doing so, have more money to buy accessories, lenses, equipment, etc. So I know I will need to buy a DSLR as opposed to an ARRI or BlackMagic.

I feel like there are always new models coming out these days, and am hesitant to buy a Mark iii for instance, because I feel like Canon will come out with a new one randomly and boom, I'm outdated. So here is my question.

If I had a budget of about $6,000 to buy a camera that can take both photo and video, what would you buy? What is the newest option worth picking up?

Happy to answer more specific questions.

1 Comment

Wait until NAB 2015 which is roughly 50 days away, as there will be new cameras shown that might change things in a big way. ( there are lots of rumors about new Canon and Panasonic cameras to be revealed at NAB )

February 24, 2015 at 10:27PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your Comment