March 10, 2016 at 2:40PM

Must buy lenses for Nikon D5200. Amateur filmmaker, any help is appreciated?

Hello there! I've recently gone out and bought the D5200 with the intention of making some short films. I'm about to finish up with my first short, however, I've noticed after a couple of months that the kit lens (although being a greater starter to introduce me to DSLR filmaking) just won't do anymore..and I've thought about it and decided to invest in two new lenses.
My budget isn't crazy, maximum I'm willing to spend is $500.
I've looked into the 35mm 1.8g as well as the 50mm 1.8g, both of which I can get within my budget..

I'll be mostly shooting indoors for now, so I do realize I don't want to exceed the 50mm..

Any suggestions for lenses? What are your thoughts on the 35mm 1.8g & 50mm 1.8g?
Should I invest in any other equipment? I have already purchased a tripod.

Thank you in advance for your time everyone! It is very much appreciated, from one filmmaker to another..again thank you!

4 Comments

What's your favorite focal-length when shooting with the kit lens ?

I generally "hate" the standard "normal" lens, so I like to shoot with either a wide "normal" lens ( 35mm on a Full Frame camera ) or a long "normal" lens. ( 70mm on a Full Frame camera )

For the D5200 the equivalents would be 24mm ( wide "normal" ) or a 50mm. ( long "normal" )

March 10, 2016 at 8:06PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I've realized most of the time I'm shooting at quite a wide angle with the kit lens (18mm) which I realize is something around 27mm on my crop sensor.

However I'd have to say I really enjoy filming close-ups as well when it comes to video.

Should I forget about the 35mm? I've heard lots of great things about it.

Abdulrazak Mohamed

March 11, 2016 at 1:21AM

>>>Should I forget about the 35mm? I've heard lots of great things about it.

All of the Nikon G lenses are good performers, but I think what really matters is what angle-of-view do you like shooting with ?

As I mentioned before, I like going wider than "normal" and I like going longer than "normal" ( I really find the "normal" angle-of-view very boring ), but you might like something completely different.

If you can, I would use your kit lens to figure out what focal-lengths you like to shoot with, and then buy a prime lens that matches the focal-length. The 50mm lens is kind of a no brainer for me, but it doesn't have to be the G model, even the cheaper D lens is still quite good.

March 11, 2016 at 5:46PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Nikon's 35mm 1.8 is an awesome lens. But it really does get back to looking at what you've shot so far and figuring out which focal lengths you use the most and buying those as primes.
And are you sure it's the kit lens that is holding you back? Are you using your lens hood and shooting at its optimum aperture? What don't you like about it? Even if there are some things you don't like about it, there's usually at least one focal length on a kit lenses that is great, see if you can discover it.
Finally... don't forget that most affordable lenses look about the same once you get to f/4 or f/5.6. Are you shooting at wider apertures than this?

March 15, 2016 at 11:33AM, Edited March 15, 11:35AM

Richard Swearinger
Freelancer

Your Comment