October 2, 2016 at 12:45PM

!! NEW CAMERA EQUIPMENT !! $2000 ??

$1800 budget

Ive got a 70d, 50mm lens, ntg 4, blimp, h5, rvmp, 18-55, 70-300, 75-130, 28-85, konava slider, manfroto mvh 502, gorrila pod, viewfinder

what should i get

LIGHTS (any ideas)
or
Lens (24-105 or rokinon 35)
or
Shoulder rig
or
monitor
or
new camera
or
go pro
or
drone (mavic/karma)
or
combintion

The Work i do is a lot of events and documentary's a bit of films and maybe 1 or two music videos

Link to my work
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrVPSTKd_kGKOwEPcyahzQ/videos

3 Comments

I'm tired of that debates "What camera should I get?", "What gear should I invest next?", etc etc etc...

So I decided to give you and the entire world now the one and only true answer:

There is no such thing as perfect equipment. That as always (I mean always) something you have to decide for yourself. Don't trust anyone who says "Uh, that's a good camera and that's a bad one... and this one has more of that and the other less of that..." So don't trust other people's opinions. Get your own one. In some way cameras and other equipment are something personal and your have to find the best way to work for yourself and not adapt the way of someone else. Because at some point (and that's always after some long time) you will find out that it's rubbish.
There are financial borders of course but you just need to find out what you need the most and so you get it. That's how easy it is. I do this my self. I don't buy a drone because it's fancy. I buy it because I know I will do a lot areal shots. Not because I might could use it some time. That's a best waste of money.

October 3, 2016 at 12:50AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

I looked at your outdoor festival video and noticed two things: (1) the framing of many of your shots were wide enough to pick up background areas that were way too bright or way too dark for the scene, and (2) the framing of some of your shots seemed too general, as if you don't have in your mind a clear idea of what the subject actually is. The result of (2) is that as my eyes struggle to find the subject, your camera movements tell me I'm guessing wrong because what I thought was the subject gets cropped out as you move around. That leaves me to not look as closely and thus not be as engaged.

(1) can be solved with a little practice--getting comfortable with shooting tighter. The alternative, which is extremely expensive, is to actually light against daylight. That takes much more practice, much more crew, and much, much more money than $2000.

As for what to do with the money burning a hole in your pocket: a new camera is not the first or the second thing I'd reach for. As Eric mentions above, there may well be some important things you know you cannot do technically: if you need a 400mm lens to shoot a horse race, you need a 400mm lens. And for those specific things, you just write them down, price them out, and decide what artistic and economic ROI you can tolerate. But generally, what you need is another 500 hours of practice, and some friends who can give you valid technical and artistic feedback.

October 4, 2016 at 12:38PM

Hi Kieran. Another Murphy!

I'm looking at buying some video kit too so I'm not quite qualified to advise you but I'll give you my 2 cents anyway. The Manfrotto Spectra stuff looks like excellent value for money as far as LED lighting goes.

I've tried both of the lenses you mention. Very different beasts. The 24-105 is a superb all rounder. I'm a fan of Samyang/Rokinon glass, though I know some people hate those lenses. Personally, I'd ditch the 18-55 kit lens, and the 70-300 ASAP and get a couple of solid primes but YMMV.

October 4, 2016 at 5:42PM

Your Comment