April 5, 2017 at 10:47PM


No Mic Jack

My Canon EOS 130D does not have a 3.5mm jack and I want to buy a Rode external shoe mounted mic.

I have seen that you can buy a lead that has 3.5mm socket one end and mini usb the other end.

i.e I can plug the mic into one end, and the other end into the camera.

Do these work?


Arsh DSJ


I am pretty sure that those adapters are ONLY for computers, where the operating system loads a driver to enable the adapter to input audio. I really doubt that this will work for a camera.

What you can do instead is...

1- Buy a small recorder like a Zoom H1 to record your audio, and use the camera's own built-in mic to synchronize your Zoom audio with the camera audio in post. It's very easy to do, but will take a bit of practice. ( I often do this when shooting dual-system sound and the results are great )

2- Buy a camera mic like the Rode that has it's own built-in recorder. I know that Shure makes one : https://goo.gl/EqmT76

There are lots of different ways of getting good audio. You just gotta find one that works for you.

April 6, 2017 at 4:58AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

If you go the route of using an external recorder, PluralEyes might be a good plug in to invest in. It's super helpful if you have a ton of footage.

May 5, 2017 at 9:59AM

Gareth Ng

Your Comment