May 1, 2017 at 2:21AM

Working with QVGA in a 1080p timeline should I upscale it?

An interview subject has sent me some footage of their farm that they shot in QVGA to use as B roll. What on earth shoots in that resolution these days?

The rest of the footage is 4K studio shot footage which I have down-resed to 1080P sequence to give me a bit of flexibility with scaling and the illusion of two camera cutaways. The 4K footage is 25fps and the QVGA is 30fps.

What would you do with QVGA footage on a 1080p timeline? Would you upscale it and what would be the steps you would take? I can see some tutorials online about converting SD to HD and references to Red Giant plugin.

At the moment, while I ponder what to do with it, I have it in a separate sequence and have nested it on the 1080p sequence and scaled it up a little bit so it looks like picture in picture but obviously the image quality is not that great.

Ideally, I would want to reshoot it but given that they are located on the other side of the continent to me it's neither practical nor fits in the budget.

Thank you in advance!
Anna

1 Comment

Anyone able to answer this one? How would you handle QVGA in a 1080p sequence and achieve an OK look to it?
Many thanks,
Anna

May 9, 2017 at 8:48PM

Your Comment