December 6, 2012

M83 Concludes Their Serialized Sci-Fi Music Video Trilogy with 'Wait'

The French electronic band M83 has been working with the directorial team Fleur & Manu to produce a trilogy of sci-fi music videos following the adventures of a group of children with X-Men-type powers. We've already discussed the first two videos, for their songs “Midnight City” and “Reunion,” and now we have the third video for the song "Wait" -- all off the album Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming. Serialized videos are nothing new, but the style and scope is nothing short of spectacular. Click through to check out all three.

Here is Anthony Gonzalez from the band on the project:

I love composing music and making music with pictures in my head, it’s really what’s driving me. Cinema is the biggest influence for me – even bigger than music itself, so this album is built as a soundtrack, as an imaginary film. This is what we tried to convey with this trilogy. When I first talked with Fleur and Manu about this video project it was pretty obvious we wanted the same results. I think they were the perfect directors to achieve this…

M83 – “Midnight City”

M83 – “Reunion”

M83 - "Wait"

The videos are clearly calling upon a number of science fiction influences, but it's impressive to finally see all three of them together as a complete story. They were originally conceived in this way, so it would surely have felt a bit incomplete without the final act, though all three could certainly stand on their own based on the familiarity of the genre. While the third video is a bit more out there than the other two, it's a fitting end to a series with an incredible vision.

Fleur & Manu from Paris-based production house Division directed all three, and were supported in part by The Creators Project with "Wait."

It probably helps being an M83 fan, but what do you think of the videos? Do you think the story worked over the course of all three? What did you think about the science fiction influences? Did that help you stay engaged with the story -- even when it got a bit more experimental?

Links:

Great work. Love the videos and music.

December 7, 2012

Lorenzo S.

Yes, all three videos work seamlessly together. I believe 'Wait' is the best of the all. The perfect ending to a spectacular trilogy.

December 7, 2012

Lorenzo S.

Yeah, I think it's the perfect ending as well. It definitely has the most going on and probably rewards repeated viewings more than the others.

December 7, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Use The Force, Luke.

December 7, 2012

Tulio

I've loved M83 since 2004, before they even had an inkling of "pop" to them, and I must say these videos are visually stunning and the perfect accompaniment to their music. I wanna see some VFX breakdowns NOW!

December 7, 2012

mike

Did not like any of the music video's, nothing extraordinair about them.

December 8, 2012

tillkee

Is it just me or was that just a Pink Floyd song playing at a modified speed? Nice money shot though, with The Man I mean the kid falling to Earth.

December 11, 2012

Mark

The videos are ok, there are a few decent fx shots but nothing that is not done ad infinitum in LA by the hundreds of fx houses here. The concepts are old news including the 2001 tribute. The shots were well done but as music videos are they the best use of that time? Music videos are often promotional and marketing vehicles, while short films are well, short films. Is this the best example of either? The Lana Del Rey stuff is off the hook brilliant, even if you hate her, the films are brilliant and if you love her you will watch it repeatedly. I have no interest in seeing these again so to me if I had funded music videos I'd be unhappy and I had I funded the short film I'd also be unhappy as it could have used sound design. I like M83.

December 13, 2012

Jean R

For many artists, a music video is another opportunity to create. Not just a marketing gimmick to sell music.
It's pretty clear that M83 was going for something more expressive than promotional.

Why do things need to fit into a specific mold for you to enjoy it?Would you have enjoyed it more if it was purely promotional and used all the cliches of a regular music video?(I.E. half naked ladies, cars, and lens flares) Why does everything have to be brand new and never done before? So what the concepts have all been seen before? I think half of the point of this was that it was a mashup of many many different works.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, and personally found it pretty inspiring.

December 13, 2012

vague beautiful pseudo symbolic fluff... i'm sure it's great if you're a fan of the band which is the point, now, isn't it.

December 13, 2012

jon p

Regardless of how many vfx houses can do the same work, whether you like the music or not, etc. this was brilliant work. Most ideas with vfx, music, and art in general has been done before but that doesn't make it bad. I was entertained and captivated the whole time I watched these. In today's world, with the internet, that says alot. Even if I may not be moved to watch them again (which I will) the fact that I even chose to watch them at all and watched them all the way through is rare. How many of you half watch most music videos or videos in general? I usually will watch the first minute, get bored, skip ahead, and if nothing interesting is happening when I skip ahead, I'll stop watching. So kudos to these guys.

December 13, 2012

Ily

Concepts were cool. High quality imagery and effects. One critique, though. When the car is chasing them in "Reunion" the headlight flare layer is in front of the running children. This would be impossible even within a "suspended disbelief" world. It should have been one layer behind them to respect the parallax.

December 15, 2012

Rigby

Great videos, I just want to believe those kids lived....

February 7, 2013

Arthur

I absolutely loved all three videos. What a beautiful and inspiring work. Thank you, M83 for a beautiful message.

March 17, 2014