February 9, 2016

Samyang/Rokinon Add 14mm & 35mm to the Affordable Xeen PL Lineup

Samyang Rokinon Xeen 14mm 35mm
Back in August, Samyang (and US distributor Rokinon), introduced a new line of relatively affordable full-frame 35mm PL mount lenses called Xeen.

These lenses (which also come in EF, F, Sony E-Mount, and MFT), based somewhat on the original set of cine primes, were completely overhauled with new coatings, more precision, longer focus throw, and better build quality. The first lenses released were the 24mm T1.5, 50mm T1.5, and 85mm T1.5. Now they've added two more lenses, the 14mm T3.1 and the 35mm T1.5, giving you a much more complete set. While these new lenses are listed at around $2,500 each with a March release date, the current Xeen lenses are coming in at just $2,150. This seems to indicate that at some point in the future we may see this full 5-lens set at somewhere between $10,000 and $11,000 (special deals are going on at a place like Duclos with all 5 lenses for $10K).

Here's a look at some of the features in all of the Xeen models:

• 4K+ Ready Optics
  • Full Frame Coverage
  • Tightly Color Matched
  • Durable All Metal Body
  • Unified 40° Iris Rotation
  • Unified 200° Focus Throw
  • Large Easy To Read Markings
  • Three Year Limited Warranty
  • Lens Support Mount (Except PL)
  • 11 Bladed Diaphragm for Superb Bokeh
  • Xeen Proprietary X-Coating Technology
  • Unified 114mm Non-Rotating Front Diameters
  • Dual Calibrated Right and Left Side Distance and T-Stop Scales
  • Unified Focus and Aperture Gear Positions for Easy Follow Focus Use
  • Mounts can be shimmed and are interchangeable by a qualified technician
  • Incredibly smooth and fully damped movement of focusing and aperture controls

And here's a look at the full specs of all of them together:

Samyang Rokinon Xeen Lens Specs

But that's not all, Samyang is teasing one more lens on their website:

Xeen 1 More Lens Coming Soon

We're not sure which lens this will be yet — if it will be another rehouse or if it's going to be a completely new model. The most logical option is that it's their 16mm lens, but unfortunately it can only cover Super 35mm. If they can reengineer it to cover full-frame it works in the set much better, but perhaps there will be a completely new focal length that covers full-frame natively, something around a 21mm (or wider) that might still be very fast.

These certainly aren't "budget" lenses, but for the money you can't get brand new PL mount lenses for cheaper than this, which is quite a feat. We will likely see more examples before these are released in March.

This is awesome. Anyone know where I can find the same with Sony E mounts? The link for Duclos Lenses only offers PL and EF mount lenses. I want to use it on the A7S without the speed booster and stuff.

February 9, 2016 at 11:12PM

Sahit Anand
Director and Co-Founder of DO. Creative Labs

Dude, if you can afford these lenses, you can afford a $100 adapter. Just get the commlite one.

February 9, 2016 at 11:37PM, Edited February 9, 11:37PM

Forget Commlite unless you're willing to do some DIY paintwork on it. Flares real bad.

February 10, 2016 at 9:45AM, Edited February 10, 9:45AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I second this. I frequented a7S groups on FB and asked everyone's opinion on the Commlite before I ordered, no one told me about the disastrous flares. I do however know that Rokinon has been producing Xeen lenses with the Sony E mount: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185217-REG/rokinon_xeen_24_50_85m...

February 10, 2016 at 11:04AM

Sean Pettis
Filmmaker

I actually don't mind the flare from the Commlite adapter, sometimes it gives a good look and it only happens when panning up and down with overhead lighting. For $100 vs $600 I'd stick with Commlite.

February 10, 2016 at 4:32PM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

It's a legitimate question. Not everyone wants to deal with an adapter, price aside.

February 10, 2016 at 10:52AM

David Sikes
Video Producer

The T3.1 equals to what, f/2.8?

February 10, 2016 at 5:17AM

i could give a long speech on that question, but in short: yeah, pretty much.

February 10, 2016 at 9:46AM

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve
director / dop / editor

16mm? Rather a 100mm or 135mm...

February 10, 2016 at 5:41AM

Matt Carter
VFX Artist / Director / Producer / DP / Writer / Composer

Their 16mm is APSC only. I think they're going for a Full Frame set of lenses here.

February 10, 2016 at 9:46AM, Edited February 10, 9:46AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Still, I'd rather they included a longer focal length rather than another wide lens, 14 and 24 is enough I think. But 85 isn't long enough on it's own. a 135 would be great. I'd buy the set in a heart beat.

February 11, 2016 at 5:32AM

Matt Carter
VFX Artist / Director / Producer / DP / Writer / Composer

Yeah, I really hope that they add their 135mm and 100mm Macro lenses to the Xeen set. I imagine that they will eventually.

February 10, 2016 at 9:57PM

David West
Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor

They sure aren't priced like budget lenses but they look like it.

February 10, 2016 at 3:12PM

Zack Wallnau
Cinematographer & Tinkerer

These lenses have a great focus throw but, the optics are sub par. I'd suggest renting glass over buying any of these lenses.

February 10, 2016 at 4:06PM

Filmmaker Dude
Film stuff

And if you can't do that, adapt still lenses. I tried the Rokinon 35mm, and it was absolute garbage. Ghosting, softness across the entire frame... I was looking at the footage later and trying to figure out how NOTHING was in focus, at any distance from the camera. Then I realized that these were the shots where I used the Rokinon. I sent that turd back and have been using the Canon still 35mm 1.4 ever since. Every still lens I have utterly destroys the Rokinon for quality. Don't ruin your production with junk lenses.

February 11, 2016 at 10:47PM, Edited February 11, 10:48PM

David Gurney
DP

There's finally a video on youtube comparing the Xeen vs DS lenses. The two look virtually identical, the only difference that I could tell is that the Xeen has a more natural color tone but a far as sharpness they are identical. For nearly a $2000 difference I'm not sure if its worth it.

February 10, 2016 at 4:36PM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

I can tell that the XEEN is sharper, especially wide open. The fall off into the out of focus area is also more pleasant. The bokeh when stopped down is more pleasant as well.

The warmth of the XEEN is probably the best and most noticeable difference. Really, really liking its tone. I've seen some positive videos on skin tone, too.

Overall, I do think it's enough of a price premium between the two, although I still wish the XEEN is $2,000, though =D

February 11, 2016 at 3:28PM

Joe Gunawan
DP/Camera Op/1st&2ndAC/Commercial Photographer

What? The Xeen in this test is noticeably sharper, better colors aside. Especially opened up.

February 18, 2016 at 10:17PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

"Affordable". They're $800 photography lenses in a fancy casing, being sold for $2100. Sure, they're fantastic lenses, but I don't think "affordable" is a description they deserve.

February 10, 2016 at 6:08PM

"Fantastic?"

Highly doubtful. The regular Rokinons are absolute shit.

February 11, 2016 at 10:43PM