August 14, 2015 at 7:54PM

Laptop for editing with a budget of $3200

Does anyone have recommendations for a laptop for editing HD video(4K is a possibility, but not a priority) that is under $3200? I currently own a 2010 Macbook Pro and I was originally saving up for a 15 inch retina macbook pro, but after looking at the specs, I realized that they changed the graphics card(non-CUDA) that may not work well with Adobe programs.

I primarily use Adobe Creative Cloud and DaVinci Resolve 12 for a wide range of work including sports clips, music videos, commercials for local businesses, and short films of various lengths.

I travel a lot so it must be a laptop that I can take with me on the go(memory space is not an issue since I use external hard drives).

I figure with the size of the budget, this enables possibilities that I may have not considered since in the past I've only dealt with Mac.

Any and all help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3 Comments

i use both systems but i personally am also looking into a hp z workstation laptop.

The top end has a dreamcolor 10 bit monitor and will kill any mac at any spec.

currently i own a top of the line 15" retina and yes not having CUDA really kills. but i have one of the most recent models and was able to get it with nvidia graphics.

August 15, 2015 at 11:59PM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'm going to wait a month or 2 now. Apparently Intel is going to be releasing a new processor. Another thing to look at is the coming release of products with Thunderbolt 3, which will be twice as fast as it's predecessor. This however, could be end of the year or even next year.

August 17, 2015 at 2:02PM, Edited August 17, 2:04PM

For $3200 I would get the Razer Blade http://www.razerzone.com/store/gaming-systems

They pack the latest CPU and the latest nvidia graphics

There are cheaper PCs for the same specs but you have the budget and these are great for travel and editing

August 26, 2015 at 9:57PM

Heri Rakotomalala
DP/Camera, Studio owner, Associate Producer

Your Comment