December 10, 2010

Which is Better for Noise Reduction, Neat Video or Magic Bullet Denoiser?

When Red Giant Software released their latest Magic Bullet product, Denoiser, I wondered how it would compare to my plugin of choice for noise reduction, Neat Video. Now, thanks to Andrew Reid at EOSHD, I don't have to do this comparison myself, as he's just compared the two:

One of my issues with Neat Video (my only one, really) has been its speed, or rather, lack thereof. The plugin does not utilize the GPU, and as such processing times can be quite long (though this was much more so the case on my laptop than it is on my Hackintosh, which is many, many times faster). However, Andrew notes that in his experience Neat is in fact faster than Magic Bullet, and for both speed and quality he ends up recommending Neat over Magic Bullet. Click on through to the EOS HD post for some 1:1 crops, and be sure to download the original video (the link is in the right-hand column) for better analysis.

Link: EOSHD.com - Neat Video Vs Magic Bullet Denoiser

Dude...this is very cool. Been waiting for the right plugin for noise reduction. Everytime I bring up this issue with DPs, etc., they all go back to the old film use and heavy lighting. Do it right the first time, don't clean it up in post. But for an indie moviemaker like myself...where the budget is everything, I need the right plug in.
I have to reduce noise because I just can't afford it otherwise. It's just that simple. So thanks again bud.

MARK

December 11, 2010

MARK GEORGEFF

Both seem to work to an extent, but even the cleaned up footage still looks pretty noisy. Apparently there is no real 'magic bullet' when it comes to cleaning up the noise from shooting with a high ISO.

December 11, 2010

Rob Rhodes

Zing! Yeah, well of course it's better to shoot with enough light, but these tools can really help alleviate the worst of it for those situations where adding light at the shoot wasn't an option.

December 12, 2010

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hi Koo.

I've made a little test and the outcome was impressive. I posted at Cinema 5D (http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24684).

Pity I got so few feedback.

December 16, 2010

Another great tool is TMPGEnc Xpress. My workflow includes AVCHD footage that needs to be transcoded first to edit easily, as well as rendering a master file from which I'll transcode to mp4 for online distribution, so this tool comes in very handy.

I only recently discovered its noise reduction filter (along with contour sharpening) which has proven to be a fast and effective method of removing noise.

If your workflow involves transcoding at some stage and you edit on a PC, then I recommend looking into TMPGEnc Xpress as a possible solution:

December 16, 2010

DPs who don't live in the "real world" that many of us live in, like to talk about "adding more light" and shooting it right. OK, tell me this. How are you going to light up a hug seaport, with cruise ships coming and going in the middle of the night? Flares?. Let's get real! Neat Video (and my Canon C100) saved the day, or should I say, "saved the night."

January 2, 2014

from my experience in terms of results Denoiser is much better, for the fact that you can enhance the level of details after the noise reduction..and thats what not exist in neat video which instead let you to choose the level of the noise reduction effect and not the option of enhancing the details by itself without effecting the noise reduction level.

May 24, 2014