April 13, 2011

See Apple's Final Cut Pro X Interface at Work in Unofficial Video

Apple hasn't posted any official acknowledgement of last night's demonstrations of Final Cut Pro X on their website, and so everyone on the internet is speculating based on lists of features rather than seeing the presentation. Until Apple gets official with any such announcement, then, the next best thing to an official video is an unofficial (kind of shaky) video of the presentation. In my liveblog of the event I noted, "editors are crazy," and you'll see that to be the case based on the overenthusiastic reactions here:

Thanks to machineurs for filming the presentation.

One thing to note: While the the $299 pricing is far lower than, say Adobe Premiere CS5.5's $799 retail price, it's not quite as groundbreaking if you assume (as I do) that Apple is simply breaking out the components of Final Cut Studio into an a la carte sales model through the App Store. Final Cut Studio 2 sold for $999, and if you divide that by three or four apps the $299 pricing makes sense -- assuming Motion, Soundtrack Pro, and Color (if it still exists) round out the suite, with DVD Studio Pro getting dumped in Apple's physical media-free future. Also, given we've skipped Final Cut Pro 8 and FCP 9, one might assume that they're treating it as an entirely new application without any upgrade pricing. And, as with the original launch of Final Cut Pro, the software exists partially to sell Apple hardware (and other products), and thus Apple can price such a program lower than a company like Adobe, whose entire business model is software. Interestingly enough, the $299 price point also discourages piracy -- which is the main reason I think Adobe has rolled out a new monthly pricing option with CS5.5. How many editors out there are working on pirated software? A hell of a lot. Both companies are trying to change that.

Much more to come about FCP X -- hopefully of the more official variety -- before its June 9th launch.

I'm actually sold on this. I started as an Avid editor and I preached by it. I still think that it's a great program if your company has a need for it. And the quick keys are much better than FCPs. As a freelancer, I've preached by FCP. I don't need a whole IT dept to fix a problem if it occurs, it's cheaper, etc etc.

This version seems to combine the best of all worlds. A fully integrated product that lets you work. It has alot of wonderful background features that will get out of the way. It seems to focus alot on experience and storytelling. Let's face it, at the end of the day I don't want to know about the software. I am a storyteller. I didn't go to school to be a software engineer or a computer guy. I had to learn all that stuff to function as a modern day editor. It looks (and I really hope) that those IT type tech-savvy things are heading in the direction of getting out of my way and letting me do the things that make me happy and make me money: editing, storytelling, and making an amazing product.

I feel it's definitely a step in the right direction, especially after seeing a demo of the timeline. It was like a free floating canvas. Like a lightboard back in the old magazine layout days before illustrator, etc. You get to play non-destructively and unobtrusively. There are of course unanswered questions, and there will be problems. That's what we, the users, are here for: to bring those problems to light, so they can be fixed. I can also see they are thinking along the lines of touchscreen usages. It's a beautiful thing. We'll see. It will definitely push our current mind-muscles, but I think it will be for the betterment of the community.

April 14, 2011

OK, it has PluralEyes built in. I'm completely on board.

April 15, 2011

Nick

Interestingly enough, so does Premiere Pro CS5.5.

April 15, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Really? I don't need to buy pluraleyes on its own?

April 18, 2011

Apparently I was wrong about CS5.5. Pluraleyes has some really advanced features that I expect neither suite will have, as well -- all depends on what kinds of video/audio you're importing.

April 18, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

It'll be interesting to see some head-to-head of FCP Pro-X vs. Premiere CS 5.5 in terms of speed of render/workflow. It doesn't matter if FCP has great cool features if it still takes longer by not leveraging GPU's the same way. OpenCL is a great addition, though, and I'd like Adobe to look in that direction as well.

At any rate, I think we're all pretty spoiled for choice. Which is, frankly, awesome.

April 15, 2011

Thanks for this update Koo... as usual you are the font of all worthwhile knowledge in the business.

Looks to me like the industrial version of iMovie... which is what I have been secretly hoping for for the last year or so. Sometimes it is just so easy to use iMovie for the simple stuff or to do rough cuts fast and dirty just to get a feel for the project, and then dive into FCP when you need to be more technically advanced. (I know I know... eewwww.. iMovie... NEWB) Now it's both in one. And yah... thanks for the save... was just about to get PluralEyes and now... built in!

My question is will it work with my Euphonics system?

Thanks again Koo

April 18, 2011

Howie Murray

and with a splash of Vegas thrown in there too I see. That was the best feature of Vegas being able to grab a corner of the clip and pull down your fades.

April 18, 2011

Howie Murray

Dude, I've watched these videos and your commentary is spot on. You touched on all the major issues in this small article. You have a knack for breaking it down. Good work.

At $300 (without all the other stuff), I am looking at the option of building a Hackintosh (from your article) and running FCP-X. Combined with the fact that my friend has a licensed copy of FCP7 which he is willing to give me, I will still be able to go back and use Motion and DVD Studio if I want to. Should make a great dedicated editing workstation.

My BG is that I am a huge Vegas Fan. I dunno why more people aren't using it and talking about it. For many reasons it beats the other tools, but I won't go into that here. I got a Adobe Premiere license a long time ago and never liked it. I still don't like CS5. FCP 7 is so limited and requires lots of detours from what should be a simple workflow. The editing timeline is CLUNKY compared to Vegas. I hope FCP-X is everything it's cracked up to be. If it is, I'll be a convert.

April 18, 2011

I am blown away and actually curious on how this will turn out being.

April 22, 2011