We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

March 27, 2012

Rgrain Adds New 16mm and 8mm Film Grain Packages

Many of you have been using Rgrain with great results after we covered it here. Now they've extended their grain packages to even more 16mm and 8mm filters. Film grain filters are fantastic for giving your movie that little bit of dirtiness to compensate for too clean of an image. These new filters also have an advantage over their other filters - they cost a lot less.

This is a video showing off their new 16mm filters:

This one shows off their new 8mm filters:

They have added a new Complete Pack that includes these new filters as well as everything they've done before. For a limited time they've got a $10 off deal going on the normally $99 Complete Pack if you use this code: 10S83750. Here is everything contained in the complete pack:

• Sixteen 1080p ProRes 422 film grain plates at 23.976 fps (Each clip loops for 30sec—6.5Gb Total DL)
  • RG 35mm "Ultra Fine"
  • RG 35mm "Lush"
  • RG 35mm "Smooth"
  • RG 35mm "Exciter"
  • RG 35mm "Coarse"
  • RG 16mm "Thick Coating"
  • RG 16mm "Old Stock"
  • RG 16mm “Soft”
  • RG 16mm “Smooth”
  • RG 16mm “Coarse”
  • RG 16mm “Damaged”
  • RG Super 8mm "Nostalgia"
  • RG Super 8mm “Clean”
  • RG Super 8mm “Dirt Master”
  • RG Super 8mm “Burn in hell”
  • RG Super 8mm “Instant Vintage”
  • Three micro dirt loops. (Each clip loops for 10 sec)

If you're not really sure about the benefits of adding grain to your video, it's more than making the footage look more film-like. It can help with gradients when sending projects to the web. Rgrain has a wonderful video showing this below:

The 16mm and 8mm packages are going to run you $30 each, but it's really a small price to pay if you need that look. Honestly, it's a much better deal to get the Complete Pack and use the $10 off code - and you'll get everything they make.

I think Rgrain has some really interesting offerings, and it's clear that they've made themselves a contender. A lot of people will obviously still prefer real scanned grain (or shooting the real thing), but these digitally created filters seem to do a good job and will add that little bit of texture to your film. In this age of digital filmmaking, there are still going to be plenty of times when that crisp digital look just doesn't work, and a little dirtiness will do the trick.

Link: Rgrain Products - Website

[via planet5D and HDCamTeam]

Hi Joe,

I saw the pingback from this article to our site (thanks a lot for the link to our post).

I just wanted to add the following information:

In the "Complete Pack" Rgrain also includes three “Micro Dirt” loops for those who want to add more damage to their videos. Very useful indeed.

Also, there's a very interesting video that shows some of the benefits of adding grain to digital footage:

As mentioned in our article, it is very important to understand that grain is completely different than noise.

Here's the quote of "Why Adding Film Grain to Digital Footage?":

" This is a very important point that not everyone clearly understand. Many HDSLR shooters confuse grain with noise, but in fact they’re completely different.

Adding film grain can do a lot more than just make your videos look like film. It also helps with dithering smooth gradients improving the quality of your videos on video sharing websites like Vimeo. It also helps removing the sharp digital video look by adding a subtle and organic feel to your video projects. "

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Paul
HD Cam Team

March 27, 2012

Thanks for that, I'll add the info and the video above as it does a great job explaining why you might want to use it.

March 27, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Hi Joe,

I recalled you posted about rgrain while ago. Did you notice the latest promo and video from Rgrain? The video shows and explains the "Complete Pack" bundle very well which is currently in promotion ("Summer Promotion")

You may like to take a look. We've posted about it few days ago. We really like the results we got with it. The key is to use it correctly, after cleaning the footage and after grading, applying rgrain as the last step, as suggested by the developer in the quick reference guide.

There's also a very cool video tutorial they posted: "Professional workflow"

I've personally tested rgrain with a strong gradient sky scene (that showed banding) converted it to 10bit, applied "Lush" Rgrain at 20% and the end result was lot better, lot less "digital look", more pleasant "film look" (and without banding)

Cheers

July 5, 2012

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the Summer Promotion.

July 5, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Hi Joe,

What would be the difference in using 16mm over 8mm grain on a DSLR Footage?
Thanks

March 28, 2012

Daniel

The 16mm will be less dramatic and have finer grain than 8mm. It really is just a matter of how big you want the grain particles to be - 35mm is the finest grain. In terms of helping with gradients during compression in web video, the 8mm should be the best.

March 28, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Thanks!

March 28, 2012

Daniel

The clips are playing at 23.976 fps. I mostly shoot at 25fps. Any advice how to use rgrain best at PAL framerates?

March 28, 2012

For those that wonder about frame-rates... At least in the Adobe-programs (after effects, premiere pro) I would do this:

1. Import the grain samples to the project panel.

2. Right-click on the footage and select interpret footage.

3. There you will have to say, use this framerate, and enter the framerate of your project.

4. add to timeline.

If you add it to the timeline before changing the interpretation, the option will be grayed out. So make sure to do it in the right order. But after this it should be a frame by frame accurate match.

I regularly use this technique when shooting 60p for slow-mo. I just interpret the footage as 23.976fps (if that's my project framerate) and bam... no need for difficult maths for time-stretching that a lot of other people usually do. ;)

March 30, 2012

Thanks for your advice, will give it a try tonight!

April 25, 2012

I picked up the basic offering last time Rgrain was featured here, and so far I've been happy with the results.

Here's a quick comparison between Rgrain and a default AE plugin: http://vimeo.com/37740684

And here's the first full project I used with it: http://vimeo.com/39270417

I've felt it was worth it - sure, it's not an actual film scan, but personally I think it looks really good for the price. And for the record, no, I'm not being compensated to say that!

March 28, 2012

Here's a question: How much difference will the 8mm filters be than 16mm filters at 200%?

March 28, 2012

I purchased their initial grain pack and loved them. I highly recommend Rgrain. I had an issue with their download link after purchasing and they emailed me a new link within minutes.

March 28, 2012

Chase

just bought it

March 28, 2012

arthur Dougine

I've added it to my second episode of my web TV series Day Zero. You'll see it online at blip.tv in a month :) Looks great!

March 29, 2012

Does it work with Avid? And how?

March 30, 2012

It will work with any NLE, you've just got to get it into a form that the NLE likes if it isn't already natively supported. For example Avid will accept ProRes files using AMA - which I think started with version 5, thought it might have been earlier. I think with Media Composer 6 it works more natively with ProRes, but otherwise you're not really doing anything to the footage - you're just rewrapping into something Avid prefers, like an MXF wrapper.

March 30, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Lately I've been foolin' around with doing my own "grain". I know there's a huge difference between grain and noise (I hate the random red blotches when shooting high-iso for one thing). But how much do I gain by buying one of these instead of doing it my way. Using After Effects I do:

1. create a mid-gray (50%) solid.
2. Add the noise-filter, set to about 5-10% and unchecking color-noise
3. Blend this layer over my video with the Overlay Method. Using opacity-setting to choice.

This, in my eyes, gives me some really fine grain that can easily be altered by the amount of noise, altering opacity and scaling up for coarser grain. I can even do multiple noise-filters, separating them with transform-filters to create multiple-sized grain. Seems extremely flexible to me.

Of course this means I will need to spend time to do trial and error adjustments to get it to look natural. And time is money. And I can't sit down using that method for more than half an hour before spending more money-time than just purchasing the grain-samples. And then there's the added render-time which could be alleviated by simply rendering out some of these simulations to lossless codecs myself for future use. Though the noise-filter and transforms aren't exactly that processor-intensive.

But aside from that. is there something in these packages that I cannot reproduce by simple noise-filtering? And I'm not talking about scratches and damages here. Just clean grain.

March 30, 2012

"Time is money." You said it there, Johan. I'm sure that with a lot of trial and error you could replicate something yourself in AE, then export your own plates to overlay in your NLE (which I've found greatly reduces the render time instead of doing it in AE every time). Personally, I felt the price point was right for the product offered and the tradeoff was hours and hours of experimenting.

March 30, 2012

Clean, fine grain here- http://7dblue.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/flim-grain-for-everyone/

made from real 35mm scans.

April 1, 2012

These free loops are 5secs and made in after effect. Bummer.

April 9, 2012

Al W

You are correct in that After Effects is involved, but the grain itself is from actual film scans. After Effects is only involved in making the grain "move" and making a sequence of unique frames of "actual grain". However the grain featured in this post (Rgrain) is, from my understanding, completely synthesized. This is amazingly so, because the results from Rgrain are pretty damn "pretty". I'm only offering an alternative to the alternative. And to clarify; my "as good or better" comment only applies to "clean" grain, not if you're looking for any damage or things like that.

April 11, 2012

First I thought that these plates were film scans, but then I see that they are not.

I join the Johan Malmsten's question - Is there anything we can't reproduce using "noise" in AE?

Thank you for any clearification of teh noise question.

March 30, 2012

Goldfinch

It's interesting and amusing for us who have worked using film for decades to see the popularity of these programs that take us back to our worst nightmares. We never wanted grain, as a matter of fact, we saw it as part of the problems and deficiencies of film stocks, and we begged the manufacturers (Kodak, Fuji, Agfa) to please fix, forcing them to spend millions of $ in R & D to do so. That's until MTV came along in the early 80s, and all of a sudden, every deficiency became a virtue, shaky cameras, out of focus shots and of course, tons of grain that we could not get anymore and had to add artificially.

March 30, 2012

Luis Villalon

Free film grain as good or better than Rgrain, for those of us on a budget.

April 1, 2012

Wow, thank you!

April 3, 2012

Goldfinch

I tried those clips and I have Rgrain... not close, rgrain is much smoother and has way more choices. I guess if you have zero budget it's some sort of workaround but rgrain not expensive for what it is imo. 5 sec loops too short too... you can feel it looping.

April 9, 2012

M.Smith

Yeah, 5 seconds is probably too short, but due to bandwidth limitations, I can only host the 700MB file size of 5 seconds; that's why I linked to the method with which the grain is animated (so that anyone can easily replicate the effect without the 5 second loop). I am curious to know what you mean by "Rgrain is smoother", and not in an agressive way, but out of sheer curiosity. I am working on making more plates, and trying to make them as good/smooth/awesome as possible. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Have a good one.

April 10, 2012

Well... in case the "complainant" frequents this site, and as one hell of an endorsement of the grain itself; Sevendygrain, has had an erroneous copyright infringement case brought up against it. An article illustrating the situation can be found here-

Plus a download of the project file used in the creation of the plates.

April 19, 2012

Free 35mm Grain plates here: http://holygrain.com/downloads.html

I couldn't resist their offer and I just love it. Their Ultimate pack includes 35mm , 16mm, 8mm grain and over 20mins of film dirt. 35mm grain plates come in 1080 and 2K.

December 16, 2012