Donate to American Heart Association, Get Your Script Read by Daniel Vang of Benderspink
Aspiring screenwriters struggle to find ways to get their scripts read by agents and managers. Well, here’s an opportunity for screenwriters to make a donation to fight heart disease and get their screenplays actually read by a manager at Benderspink. Screenwriter Joe Nienalt is raising money for the American Heart Association Heart Walk, and he has partnered with Daniel Vang, manager at Benderspink, to help him reach his goal. Last year, Joe raised over $8,000 to help fight heart disease, two writers got representation, and several other writers earned an open door policy with Daniel to submit future material. To find out how you can help a good cause and your own screenwriting career, check out the details below:
- If you donate $25, Daniel will read the first ten pages of your script.
- If you donate $50, Daniel will read the first 50 pages (if it’s great, he won’t want to put it down after 50 pages).
- If you donate $100, Daniel will read your entire script (good or bad).
- The deadline to make a donation is October 6, 2012.
You may be wondering, “Who are Joe Nienalt and Daniel Vang?” Joe Nienalt is a screenwriter living in Tacoma, Washington, currently repped by UTA agents Jon Huddle and Jason Burns, and managed by Alan Gasmer. Joe got the attention of Jon Huddle through a fellowship he won back in 2005 on which Jon was an advisor. Joe later contacted Jon and asked if he could send his latest script for Jon to read. Jon agreed, loved Joe’s new script, and sent it to senior agent Jason Burns. They both signed on to rep Joe, as well as bringing in Alan Gasmer, Jon’s former mentor from William Morris, to manage Joe. After much networking, Joe closed a six-figure deal to write a script for a movie to be filmed in Russian (and, no, he doesn’t speak the language), and he continues to live and work a day job in Tacoma.
Daniel Vang is a manager at Benderspink whose job is to find new writers for the company to break into the industry. Daniel works for one of the top managers, Chris Bender, and has a direct line to the head of production at Benderspink. Not familiar with Benderspink? Benderspink (Chris Bender, J.C. Spink, principals) manage several top writers and directors, and share producing or executive producing credits on several films including A History of Violence, The Hangover and The Hangover Part II, and The Ring and The Ring Part Two, among many others.
Ready to give to a good cause and get your script read? Follow this link to read Joe Nienalt’s post on how to donate and submit your screenplay.
- Joe Nienalt’s post on DoneDealPro on how to donate to his Heart Walk campaign
- Interview with Joe Nienalt on Mac Harwood’s blog, The Boring Stuff
- Details on Daniel Vang on The Boring Stuff
- American Heart Association
- It's That Time of Year Again - Annual 'Script Frenzy' Challenges You to 100 Pages in 30 Days
- Don't Fool Around in April: Write 100 Pages in 30 Days for the Annual Script Frenzy Challenge
- What Hollywood Script Readers Really Think About Your Screenplay