First Looks at the Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f2.8 and the Olympus 75mm f1.8
It looks like the wait is almost over. According to 43 Rumors, the new Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f2.8 should be shipping this week in Asia and Europe (no word yet on the U.S. and Canada), and the Olympus 75mm f1.8 should be coming in July. If you’ve had a hankering to see videos of these lenses in action then you’re in luck:
Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f2.8
Here’s Panasonic’s Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f2.8 demo footage shot on a GH2:
And here are a couple of clips from the Chinese website Mobile01 shot on a GF5:
All in all, the images on the Lumix are looking good. The lens is nice and sharp, with good contrast, vivid color rendition, circular bokeh, and it’s going to be the fastest constant aperture zoom in the Lumix line. On top of that, it has a Nano Surface Coating to reduce flare and ghosting and a UED (Ultra Extra-Low Dispersion) lens to minimize chromatic aberration.
You can see more images and video of the Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f2.8 over on Mobile01. However, the Google translation of the page leaves something to be desired, so if you’re looking for reviews there’s a preview on DP Review and a great in-depth series of tests over at the Photography Blog.
Olympus 75mm f1.8
Blunty, the same YouTube user behind the D800 VS OM-D EM-5 Shootout, posted this short review of a pre-production version of the Olympus 75mm f1.8:
The Olympus looks like it has a warm, smooth color rendition somewhat reminiscent of the Voigtlander f0.95, good sharpness and contrast, and some very pleasing bokeh. It also has three ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) elements to correct chromatic aberrations and a lens coating to reduce reflections.
Overall, these clips have more of a “video look” than I would like, so it’s probably best to take what you see with a grain of salt until AF-100 and hacked GH1/GH2 shooters get their hands on these lenses.
What are your impressions of these lenses thus far? Do they look like they would be good additions to your kit?
- Mobile01 – First Trial of the Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f2.8 on a GF5
- DP Review – Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Power OIS Preview
- Photography Blog – Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Review
- DP Review – Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Preview
- CSC Rumors – Some Live Sample Photos of the Olympus 75mm F1.8 Lens for Micro Four Thirds Compact System Cameras
- Micro 4/3 Mini Roundup: Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 Lens, the E-M5 VS the D800, and a GH2 Hybrid
- Zeiss Brings Back the Super Speed Name with CP.2 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm T/1.5 Lenses