October 23, 2012

Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.0.6, Brings Full Native RED Support and Other New Features

Really skinny hardware isn't the only type of tech Apple's been cooking up recently. They've also updated FCP X to 10.0.6 with a host of new features, including native, real-time (on most machines) support for R3D files thanks to a new plug-in and some nifty background rendering. This means big-savings on time for FCP X/RED users -- especially with the assist of a RED ROCKET -- plus an upgrade in quality if you've been using proxies. For the plug-in and update download links, plus a video demonstrating just how easy this could make things for you FCP X editors out there, read on!

Here is what has been added in this release as boiled down by Premium Beat:

• Native REDCODE Raw editing or background transcoding to ProRes
  • Resolution support updated from 4K to 5K
  • MXF plug-in support to work natively with MXF files using third party plug-ins
  • A dual viewer Event Viewer and Timeline Viewer, similar to earlier versions of Final Cut Pro
  • Improved Sharing, including the ability to add custom Share output and output to multiple destinations
  • ‘Copy and paste attributes’ window
  • Multichannel audio editing
  • Unified Import, single-window interface to import from all sources
  • Create freeze frames with a single shortcut
  • Compound clips are saved to the Event Browser
  • Expanded Multicam functions
  • Drop shadow effect with custom controls
  • Flexible Clip Connections
  • Chapter markers for export to Quicktime, DVD and Blu-Ray
  • The update is FREE for all existing FCP X users, and $300 for new customers

Here is a little more about the RED plug-in:

As the video sums up, the plug-in allows Final Cut Pro X users to scrub through R3D files in real-time, edit as usual (full-speed and full-res, if your machine can handle it), access and shift metadata such as color-space, gamma, ISO, white balance, and so forth -- all non-destructively (of course), and with FCP X reflecting your changes live. To clarify one REDuser's question about how this affects R3D support in FCP 7, RED's Rob Lohman had this to say:

FCP 7 & Color are as they've always been. FCP X now supports R3D directly.

We just wrapped everything needed for Apple workflow, whether it's for Final Cut Studio or FCP X in to one installer.

So:

• FCP X: native R3D support (NEW)
  • FCP 7: QuickTime reference support (as it was)
  • Color: native R3D support (as it was)

This means that all Final Cut-meets-RED native support concerns can now be addressed all within the same plug-in package, located here:

I've certainly understood the doubts about FCP X before, but these updates seem to make the NLE a software to be reckoned with. I say this as a long-time user of FCP 7 (and its predecessors), and someone who appreciates the Premiere Pro system given my limited experience with it. I have yet to get behind an FCP X rig, but at this point I can't say I'd wouldn't mind trying my hand at working some clips around in real-time 4K (or now, even 5K).

Do you Final Cutters out there believe this update deserves the buzz it's getting around the web? For those thinking about buying now, how does the $300 price seem to you? Who has been working around the absence of native support in FCP X with R3D files, and how much do you think these improvements will positively affect your workflow?

Links:

[via Premium Beat]

OMG PLZ STOP USING THE PHRASE "GAME CHANGER"

October 23, 2012

d

Fair enough, good reader, fair enough ;)

October 23, 2012

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

Only if you stop using OMG, PLZ and ALL-CAPS!

QB

**Kyle likes QB's comment**

Kyle Helf

This will cause great mental distress amongst those who simultaneously feel shooting on RED makes them a "true cinema professional" while hating on FCPX does the same as well.

FCPX is really an excellent choice at this point, especially for the one-person post operation. Calling it "iMovie Pro" makes you look like an infant, not a professional.

October 23, 2012

Peter

somewhat agree, but one of the few things holding me back was the multi cam limits, while it may not effect every one, for people like me that intern with sports broadcasting , live events, and music videos, multi cam is very very important and r3d intergration is also helpful. If black magic is not a toy then we will see alot more support in future and a new leader

October 23, 2012

JkMorganChase

Multicam has been there since 10.0.3 and it's fantastic. Auto-syncing, 64 angles, mixed frame rates and resolutions. This update adds in the audio flexibility that some needed.

October 24, 2012

This basically seals the deal for FCP X. It is now officially the only next generation, fully featured NLE on the market.

As anyone who has spent a significant amount of time in FCP X will attest, it is nearly impossible to go back to Premiere/FCP 7/AVID without it feeling like a major step backward in productivity.

Now if we can just get some official "Pro" hardware from Apple...I can replace my aging Mac Pro. I really, really don't want to go Hackintosh.

October 23, 2012

Swested

ROFL!

October 23, 2012

moebius22

I absolutely agree. Only other thing that really needs some love is the events feature. When I approach 30 or so events/projects it takes a long time to load. I'm using Event Manager X now but that's kind of a backwards way to handle things- suggestions? (besides the obligatory troll suggesting to ditch X)

Austin Mace

Austin, try using disk images. The plus side to this is easier archiving after a project is done and the ability to edit from a separate system on the same network. A tutorial for learning this technique is: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_managing_disk_image_martin.html

Dallas

@ Austin

If you disable events/projects that you are not currently working on it will make your system run faster:

awesome!

October 26, 2012

+1, FCPX has really sped up my editing process in many ways, and if you use the position tool, editing works nearly the same as in FCP7. The automatic synch of multicam clips is a great timesaver, as is the background-rendering (remember having to wait for the render-screen to finish in FCP7?). Being able to preview clips by srubbing over them (instead of having to preview them in real time) is maybe the biggest time-saver, making the selection-process of clips a breeze. FCPX has made me much more productive, and that to me is the biggest 'feature' of FCPX.

October 24, 2012

Haha "This will cause great mental distress amongst those who simultaneously feel shooting on RED makes them a “true cinema professional” while hating on FCPX does the same as well." I can see it happening haha

October 23, 2012

Okay. So FCP X is now a usable NLE.

A year and a half after it's launch.

TehRandax

So by comparison, how were other NLE platforms eighteen months after launch? Nobody should debate that Apple really screwed the pooch on how they introduced this one...but its that really a relevant indictment?

trackofalljades

It's not that I don't like FCPX, at this point It just doesn't appeal to me in a couple ways that I value. One way is Apple's flakey application support history. I absolutely love Apple but their secrety ways and history of dropping support for software is a bit unnerving to me. This is not to say I'd never switch over to fcpx, but I'll just wait another 9-12 months for it to mature. They're on the right track for now.

October 24, 2012

can anyone tell me is fcpx a good replacement for fcp7 now ?

middy

Try it out with the 30-day trial and find out for yourself. No one else can answer that question for you.

As for me, stepping back into 7 is like going back to another, more primitive era of non-linear editing.

Swested

This is great. My boss has been grinding me to learn Premiere so we're both using the same NLE's. I was about to jump on board but I find that even after a month of premiere I move so much faster in FCPX, I love it so much I can't bring myself to switch completely! This reinforces that.

Austin Mace

I still find it impossible to imagine a faster way to edit than how I do it in FCP7. Throw everything on a timeline, raise up the clips I want and put them in a new timeline and continue working forward like that - all the while leaving a trail of previous timelines I can return to if I decide I want to go back.

I haven't found another NLE that lets me edit that way as efficiently as FCP 7.... I realize it's a bit unorthodox but it works.

Tim

Tim ... funny you say that ... I edit the same way!

October 24, 2012

Ehm.. I would say that you can have exactly the same workflow by using Premiere and Avid, too. And you even get more bang for the buck when working on a windows machine.

Michael

Used to edit live to tape multicam performances like that on Premier a decade ago.
I found it very effective.

JD Holloway

If you want to edit like that in FCP X then that's fine — you can. You might even find it easier, because there are instant editing shortcuts which make life easier in X that aren't in 7. Option-[ and ] trim the In or Out point of the current clip to the playhead, so you can make anything shorter while it plays.

And if you really want it to work more like 7, just press P and you have the Position Tool. Clips stay where you put then and can overwrite other clips when dragged.

October 25, 2012

I've been tinkering with FCPX for a little while now, and I have to say the more I work with it the more I like it.

This update is really good news for me, as it addresses several of my workflow issues. And while I wish that Apple would address FCPX's handling of media on the Browser side, I have to say that the big news for me on this one is the XML. I hate to say it before I have tried it, but that could be huge for those of us trying to open old FCP Projects.

Jeremy Berger

Doesn't matter what you edit with - if the end is result looks good.

Daniel

Love hate relationship no longer. I've been using x since beta and had considered jumping ship multiple times. Fact is - everytime I went back to 7 or tried something else I felt like it was archaic. The speed alone is unmatched. The oft hated magnetic timeline is a dream - I relate it to storyboarding with index cards - just slide your clips around. This update seals it.

October 24, 2012

I learned editing on Premiere and Final Cut 7. Once FCP X arrived I gave it a whirl because it looked like it had potential to make editing more efficient. Turns out I actually love FCP X and have been using it extensively since. Just the other day I was messing with an old project in Premiere CS5 (which is definitely nice) and I realized how cumbersome editing was. The workspace was so cluttered and constraining.

A big factor in determining your preferred NLE is what kinds of videos are you editing? I do weddings, interviews and some commercials that require clips to be trimmed and arranged. Then I send it to Resolve and finish it from there and FCP X does a superb job. If you are making videos that require a lot of VFX and stuff like that then I would say FCP X isn't totally there yet but hopefully is working on it and may soon be there.

October 24, 2012

I don't have anything against FCP X but when people argue that Premiere/FCP7/Avid is going to be hard to go back to etc. then I have to believe you just are not a good editor..

Joe

If you haven't used it extensively, you wouldn't understand. The dynamic timeline + event library is that significant of a change. It isn't about not being able to go back, it's that workflow takes longer, features are missing, etc.

Hummer

Have they sorted out the rubbish workflow w sound editing yet? Sorry, but I resent having to pay money for apple to test beta software on me. I think the FCPX debacle is indicative of corporate arrogance (they forgot that they had never designed a pro editing app before: they bought the original final cut package) and they proved themselves untrustworthy, it's hard to imagine AVID for instance screwing up this badly. The fact that they are having to design FCP7 functionality back in to FCPX is an eloquent enough statement of losing touch with their user base.
No, FCP is not dead in the water by any means but it has lost its dominance - and that takes some doing.
I think I'm forced into buying AVID since it is a more versatile package

Dom

It's not just about adding back FCP 7 functionality. You couldn't have several in-out ranges live and saved in an FCP 7 project, and you can in FCP X. Share is far more functional than it ever was in FCP 7, multicam is far better, and yes, you can edit all of a clip's audio tracks in the timeline if you want to. It's a great app, and far easier to pick up than FCP 7 was. Those already in the game may need to unlearn old habits, though.

October 25, 2012

I've come to realize that FCP X is the by far the best NLE for web-focused productions, and the only one that feels like a next generation editor.

Larger production houses that produce for broadcast or other legacy formats will probably be more comfortable in Premiere or AVID. And that's fine by me.

Hummer

I agree I have been using FCPX for almost a year and after being skeptical like the rest there is NO WAY I will go back to Premiere which I own too or Avid. The MultiCam, Audio Syncing and other new features are just icing on the cake. It doesn't do a few things I used to do for broadcast but I still have FCP7 to dump to tape if need be. FCPX FTW!

October 24, 2012

I guess i'll have to speak for john jeffreys on this discussion "FCP X sucks so bad i consider it a child's toy"

Joe

Has anyone here compared FCP X to Vegas Pro? How do they compare? I ask because I use Vegas and it always felt like it was way ahead of its time in terms of performance, features, and workflow.

Shenan

Continued: ... and that is apparently the same type of drastic move forward that I seem to hear FCP X has made, so it makes me wonder how the two compare, if anyone of you have actually edited in both programs.

Shenan

I haven't used Vegas in a while but it feels very very similar.

Eric

I was really into Sony Vegas before I got into Final Cut and I would say it's about the same as going from 7 or Premiere. If you know how to edit in Vegas you will know how to edit in X but it will take some getting used to. The main difference is the magnetic timeline which you can find plenty of videos online explaining. Also I totally agree with you about it being ahead of its time. X has the thing where each clip has a knob at the end where you can drag in a fade in/fade out for the audio and that's straight from Vegas-except Vegas also lets you make a fade to black but X doesn't.

October 27, 2012

Great! its starting to do what premiere has been doing for a year! wait........thats not very exciting....

Stanley k.

And yet Premiere still doesn't do any of the things that make FCP X better. So...I guess it's a tie?

Hummer

As a mini-full production house I have three types of clients:
1) Those that pay me to use a Red.
2) Those that pay me to use DSLR'S.
3) Those that pay me to use go-pros.
Until now I struggled with the R3D files but the budget was there so I dealt with it. I downloaded the plugin yesterday and ran with it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I moved from FCP7 to FCPX about a year ago. To some that means I'm editing with a child's software, yet I'm able to generate ample revenue to support myself, my family and my creative proclivities. I define my tools, my tools do not define me. In other words, are you a consumer of products or a producer of products?

David

It seems to me that many people do not learn. Why do we have to argue about something when we know history is always reapeting iteself. None of the software works perfectly well in version 1.
So I gree with you 100% with what you have said. In my Opinion if someone chooses to use AVID, PREMIERE OR FCPX who cares the audience do not know the difference.

October 25, 2012

What about UI freedom??? Is everyone happy about having to work the way Apple says???
Why can't we put the timeline in a separate window??? Or any other window for that matter???

Is it childish or arrogance, to lock the UI and tell us they know better!!!

That's still my biggest gripe and a deal breaker for me... Shame, cause after a year and a half I'm still hating Premiere and missing FCP7 every second of the way... If I could only afford the time to convert HDSLRs files, I know exactly what I would be using...

; )~

October 24, 2012

You bring up some good points radical bird. The only answer I have is that in all the history of humanity their has never been a product that "EVERYONE" is happy with. If you know of such a thing please enlighten me so that I can invest in it. As far as the engineers being arrogant and believing they know best, I'm sure they have super top secret better ways of doing things they just hide them to Irk us all. Hey I have a question for you. Sinse when do Ravens wear guacamole face mask??????????????????? Sorry couldn't resist, I'm childish.

David

Libarate your mind and everything will be OK

October 25, 2012

IMHO, Fcp x should be burned and thrown away like Windows ME.

sico

Thats that have'nt used FCPX don't have any idea what they're missing.

quobetah

Yet, when Vegas 12 is released, nofilmschool ignores it. baffling.

Robert 'Task' Smith

We're not intentionally ignoring anything, just sometimes things that aren't as popular don't get covered. We also never touch on Pinnacle or Edius and those are probably just as popular, if not more, than Vegas. We also don't cover every single camera release from every company.

Sometime in the future we will be covering all of those releases but at the moment we will usually cover what we think is the most relevant to our readers. For example, Safari is the most popular browser for readers of our site, which means most of the readership is checking the site from an Apple device, so naturally we tend to cover a lot of Mac related news and products.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I'll never understand why people use Safari/Internet Explore when browsers like Chrome exist.

john jeffreys

It's very possible a lot of them are on computers where they can't install other software, but yeah, I don't know, I clung to Firefox until a few months ago and finally moved to Chrome.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Yeah, because no major Hollywood features were ever edited with Sony Vegas *end sarcasm* You can't compare Vegas with those toys you just mentioned. But it's your site, not mine.

Robert 'Task' Smith

Has anyone in the history of the professional industry actually relied on Sony Vegas for a project? I have yet to meet one.

Hummer

I like FCP X because:

-Native file support which cuts out an hour waiting on stream clip
-Exporting (or Share in FCPX) is way faster than FCP 7, one click export / upload to vimeo which is also a +
-Previewing multiple clips with thumbnail image
-Ken Burns 1 click button
-Multicam editing
-Magnetic timeline - this takes a while to get used to but saves a lot of time once you have it dialed
-Background rendering

A ton of people hated on this software without trying it out, and I mean actually editing full projects - not an hour on it and getting frustrated with the magnetic timeline.

Here is series of videos for anyone that hasn't taken the plunge:

October 25, 2012

Honestly, I have built a business on FCP 7 and Avid and adobe products, they are/were great but FCPX is brilliant, better in every way and at it's core some real forward thinking in the interface.

Sure on the surface you can fine some 'iMovie simplified fix it in one button type tricks' but delve a little deeper and it's all there and more to come.

Is it Happy Second birthday for FCPX??

Also got to say, pair it up with a Davinci Resolve and a DSLR and go make a movie.
Here's to the game changers!

Chris K Jones

Waiting for the .1 update. This will give us a better idea of where Apple is headed with this product. I'd really like to see them do away with "Events" (which is part of why some of us call it iMovie Pro) and let us manage projects the way we're used to managing them, without the use of special plugins and helper software.

Ben

Many people have missed the point. How many video shooters are producing broadcast work?. Apple is about making money. There thousands of people out there who are willing to pay £199 rather than £2000 pounds for AVID, you can criticise FCPX as much as you like but aqpple are laughing all the way to the bank. I am one of those people who was eally disapointed by they way how apple came up with FCPX, but I am still stuck with FCP7 but let me say this do not underestimate Apple these guys will flip again and come up another vesion aimed at the Pros.

October 25, 2012

Sounds like the iJOBS gambit, move to the cloud, is getting sea legs after a year.

Adherents, getting faster (productive mo bettah) results can only be good news as the marketing and function of Apple is so persuasive and pervasive.

Now loading native files, at a MAC OS near you. The armchair observation is expectations that FCPX(iMOVIE Pro as some have called) must maintain the attention span of younger technicians, film makers, and MAC centric people used to the platform. (WEB versus broadcast as noted above) So any advances, real or otherwise challenge the status quo as Apple is always trying to do, no surprise there.

NO one will argue that dominance is a placeholder, and it's good to see the changes afoot given the loyalty of MAC users in the field, most of my disappointed friends who are not weaned from FCP7should rejoice I would guess.

Venture to guess, the adept changes which folks above have posted as real innovations will seep into PP and AVID as time goes on, as did the native file support the other way.

I will never own a MAC, so Premiere, as unworthy and cumbersome as it might be is still miles ahead of what was availed in the market, just a year ago.

As mentioned, the tools allow me to support the business, not slave to them.

My open ended (rhetorical) question is when/if, Cupertino decides to exit the platform-hardware model, how will that be accepted assuming there will be allowances for OS connectivity to support the 4/5k file community on an HTML 5 device?

Should be interesting over the next couple of business cycles.

October 25, 2012

Are you getting enough sleep? That was excruciatingly incoherent.

Swested

Buddy you really need to stop "trying" to sound inteligent and work on your grammar / communication skills. Lol

J

I had to edit a couple commercials I shot this summer on RED cameras, and I had the choice of using Adobe Premier (which has native support for RED's raw files) and Final Cut Pro X (which didn't at the time)... I chose Premier because of simpler workflow and its integration with After Effects, but I really missed using the much more elegant and intuitive FCPX.

If Apple had released FCPX with all these features, I guarantee that people would have switched to it instead of away from it, because it really is a superior app.

Derek

Many people are complaining too much between final cut pro x and premiere, but you see both are very good
depends on what kind of work you do. And a real professional don't care what kind of software he has, he will always fine a way to use it to work for him and be creative about it so that his work will look like pro. It is not the software you use that makes your work look pro but how you plan your whole entire shooting from the start to the end including camera settings and all that. And may I remind everyone that years back editing software's were not advance like the present and during that time people did great work with them, so I thing we shout be happy with what we have and stop complaining and more work and be creative to be come the pros we want to be.

October 26, 2012

Seems like now the software is finally ready!
This is how they should have released it - but they were too slow, too late and needed to release something, so they decided to release a half-baked program with a lot of missing functions. Bad choice in my opinion, because it drove a lot of people away.

October 26, 2012

Heiko

I can't think of a single piece of software that was released without many features users wanted missing, and I've been using software since the early 80s. The only thing to prevent FCP X's incorporation into editing suites is rigid people with limited ability to accept change. others will cruise right on by, and in 5 years everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.

October 27, 2012

Zan Shin

So now we have that out of the way, when are they going to address the shocking audio functions? If FCPx is to come without the Studio to back it up, then where are the in-house operations for fine-tuning audio? Soundtrack Pro was a wonderful tool, and I'm seriously annoyed to be without it now. Being able to simply set a noise print and reduce according to that was something I used time and time again.

October 28, 2012