November 14, 2012

10 Renowned Directors Offer Their Advice on Filmmaking

Martin Scorsese- Big Questions
As artists, we know that to some extent, all of our creative ventures are based on what has come before.

Although, much like biological evolution, the utilization of creativity recombines and mutates what has been established, ultimately resulting in work that is uniquely our own. The same can be said about the wisdom of veteran filmmakers. It's helpful to have a framework on how to approach the filmmaking process based on years of collective experience to build on, and incorporate into, our own approach to filmmaking. I've put together a list of videos from 10 well-known directors to help you do just that.

I want to start off with an interview with Fritz Lang, director of Metropolis; a film from one of my favorite eras of cinema history: German Expressionism.

Kevin Smith on storytelling and walking the fine line between being reasonable and unreasonable (contains some NSFW language):

David Lynch addresses multiple aspects of filmmaking (even that bane of every sound person's existence: airplanes):

Sidney Lumet briefly talks about working in film and why he prefers working with prime lenses:

Martin Scorsese talks about his experience in film school, his influences, and 21st century filmmaking:

George Lucas gives a speech at the Academy of Achievement on how following his various passions led him to becoming filmmaker:

I think it's also important to include this clip featuring a younger (and in some ways wiser) George Lucas discussing visual effects and storytelling:

Steven Spielberg also gave a speech at the Academy of Achievement, where he talked about how he got into film, considering the audience in the filmmaking process, and listening to intuition:

It seemed appropriate after a clip of Spielberg to have this video of Terry Gilliam comparing the resolutions of Spielberg's films and the mysterious endings of Kubrick's (and by extension his own) films:

Michel Gondry discusses his philosophy on in-camera versus digital effects:

Ridley Scott gives his advice to first time directors, and talks about his approach to editing (Contains some NSFW language):

What do you think of the advice from these directors? What advice from other directors has been especially helpful to you as a filmmaker?

best.post.ever

i don't get the humor.

November 15, 2012

CLS

That's what she said.

November 16, 2012

Mark

Brillant post! You are really doing such a great work Nofilmschool that I ve hardly the time to read all the news you post ! ..but still manage my timetable for that.
I d also add to this all the interviews of Chris Nolan available in the DVD bonus of "Following" UK edition where he gives priceless tips on how he made his first feature with low budget and broke through the industry to the place he is today.

November 15, 2012

Viv

I find the balance between commercial film-maker and artistic expression intriguing.

Imagine, just imagine, if one day you had the dream scenario of Steven Spielberg contacting you along the lines of, "Hey, I'd like you to direct my next film because you were recommended by Stanley Kubrick". This actually happened to Spanish film-maker Julio Medem. His response is electrifying - "No thanks, I prefer to do my own stuff".

I would balk, but you've got to admire that !

November 15, 2012

Saied

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Definitely appreciated.

More posts like this!

November 15, 2012

Ant

Great post, thanks a lot! I thought David Lynch was interesting and down to earth with good advice. Also Kevin Smith.

George - tshit.de/freshdailies

November 15, 2012

I'm loving these videos, thanks for aggregating and sharing them, such incredible bits of gold to chew on for filmmakers!

November 15, 2012

ok guys, just realized that George Lucas indeed is an alien. If you notice when the interview begins (young George he is missing the left ear! The ear only shows up at second 0:26. Have a look if you don't believe me! :|

November 15, 2012

berns

thanks

November 15, 2012

Nate

Brilliant. Thank you for this. Nice advice and inspiration. I like this whole curation of educational content. Should do more posts with a lot of videos like this. The Bond one was brilliant also.

November 18, 2012

Does anyone know if the piece Lynch was shooting in the video was ever finished or what it's called? I'd love to see it.

November 18, 2012

dixter

Hey all, thanks for the compliments on this post! I have some aggregated tutorial posts in mind for the near future, so keep an eye out for them.

November 20, 2012

It would have been nice to include a woman's perspective. Or perhaps the author thinks people like Kathryn Bigelow, Lina Wertmuller, Jane Campion, Sophia Coppola, Mary Harron, Anne Fletcher, Julie Taymor, Betty Thomas, Catherine Hardwicke, Penny Marshall,Nancy Meyers, Nora Ephron don't exist in the Renowned Directors world. Wake-Up and smell the perfume!

July 21, 2013

Eve

wish that you had a video of Christopher nolan , quentin tarantino and kathryn bigelow giving their share of advices..then too..it was a great post..

November 28, 2013

jinit

WOW ... David Lynch is just amazing, i learned so much...thank u sir

July 21, 2014

George Moeketsa...

The Terry Gilliam one is my all time favorite youtube video.

August 20, 2014