Canon T5i/EOS-b, the New Ultra-Small DSLR, Coming Soon as Images Surface
We’ve got our first images of Canon’s new ultra-small DSLR that was leaked by Best Buy, which will likely be announced soon. The new Canon EOS-b/T5i/700D/X7i (name not 100% confirmed yet) will be the smallest DSLR the company has ever made, and likely put more space between the low-end Rebel line and the semi-pro 60D. Click through for more on the DSLR.
Some other photos have also come from the same website, but they look very similar to the T4i, so based on the size I would go with these:
Here are the specs from last time, with some slight additions:
- Height: 3.6 inches // Width: 4.6 inches // Depth: 2.7 inches // Weight: 13.1 ounce
- 18 Megapixel APS-C Sensor with DIGIC 5 Processor (5184 x 3456 max image size)
- ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12,80 (expand. 25,600)
- Movie Servo AF // built-in Mono Mic // Video Snapshot with editing capabilities
- Shutter Speed: 30 seconds to 1/4000 second
- 9 Point AF and 4 fps continuous
- 3″ LCD (1,040,000 dots) and Viewfinder with 95% Coverage
- SD, SDXC, SDHC Cards
- White Balance: Auto, Preset (daylight, shade, etc.), Custom, Bracketing
- Price: $800 with Canon EF-S 18 – 55mm f/3.5 – 5.6 STM IS zoom lens (will also be sold with 18-135 STM)
- Release Date: late April/early May
The lens is actually a brand new version, part of Canon’s STM family of lenses that is designed for smoother and quieter autofocus during video. The EOS-M mirrorless camera already had a version of this lens, but they are not compatible with each other as the flange difference is different for the mirrorless and SLR cameras.
The name is still up in the air, but I’m under the impression they will go with something like T5i here in the US. EOS-b would be a terrible name for a camera, especially when it doesn’t match their naming conventions in any way. I have to imagine it was some sort of placeholder name that’s being passed around (but I could certainly be wrong).
If you’ve held the T4i or you own one, you know how small the camera is, so this is going to be tiny. There have been some other details and images floating around, but we will likely see an announcement from Canon this week or next, and we’ll see if we also get the 60D replacement on the same day. It’s looking more like the 70D may not come until later in the Spring, but at the moment it’s still up in the air.
- Best Buy Leaks New Ultra-Small Canon APS-C DSLR, Could Be Announced Soon
- Canon 5D Mark III/X Announcement March 2nd (Probably) **Update: Leaked Images**