Join the discussion about work/life balance in relationships:

April 8, 2013

Blackmagic Goes 4K with S35 Global Shutter Sensor for $4K, and a Pocket Cinema Camera for $1K!

We've all been speculating that this year's NAB show would be a major one in terms of new cinema-style cameras at incredibly low price points. After Blackmagic Design shook up the cinema camera world last year, the market seemed destined for another company to swoop in an steal the BMCC's thunder. However, a photo of two brand-spankin' new Blackmagic Cinema Cameras has been leaked, and it's definitely real. It appears that Blackmagic has done it again, and their thunder is locked down in a vault that would leave even Danny Ocean and his team of 13 stumped. Check out the photo below for the limited details that we have at this point.

Jim Geduldick posted this on Twitter:

For those of you having a difficult time reading those fuzzy little letters on the boxes, here's what they say:

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Compact 4K camera with large super-35 sensor, global shutter, Ultra HD and 4K support, built-in SSD recorder, touch LCD metadata entry, compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes recording, Thunderbolt and EF lens compatibility, Includes DaVinci Resolve and UltraScopes.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Ultra-portable super-16 digital cinema camera with super wide 13 stops of dynamic range. Super 16 sized 1080p HD sensor, built in SD card reader, High resolution LCD, ProRes and Lossless CinemaDNG RAW recording, Active Micro Four Thirds lens compatibility, Micro HDMI monitoring with Overlays.

There are some really significant bits in this photo, the largest of which are the full-size sensor and the considerable upgrade in terms of resolution. Plus, a global shutter on a camera in this price-range is absolutely unheard of, the nearest competitor likely being the F55. I'm also highly intrigued by the phrase, "Compressed CinemaDNG RAW" recording. If Blackmagic has managed to considerably shrink the size of their DNG RAW frames, this camera will likely prove a much more affordable option for shooting RAW due to the amount saved on data storage. Overall, this camera looks to be a serious production tool with serious production features.

The Pocket Cinema Camera looks to be another interesting release. At a price that competes with low-end DSLR's, and with cheap SD cards as a recording medium, the camera is well-positioned to be the perfect entry level cinema camera for folks who couldn't quite afford the original BMCC. Not to mention that it has some seriously potential as a crash cam on higher end productions. Lastly, there will be an official announcement tomorrow regarding these cameras (and NFS will have awesome coverage of it, of course), so keep your eyes wide open and your ears peeled, because it's sure to be an exciting day.

To me, it seems pretty clear now that Blackmagic means some serious business when it comes to manufacturing cinema cameras. But what do you guys think? Do these new cameras have you excited? Let us know in the comments.

Link: Blackmagic -- Super 35 4K production and s16 pocket cam -- Jim Geduldick -- Twitter

This is the one I've been waiting for.

Had a feeling that if I went on the MFT waiting list, something better would be announced before I got one.

Fresno Bob

They said last fall that creating a S35 would not be ideal because of how much the thing would cost vs. S16, and here we are now with a $1k cost difference...

This has to probably upset quite a few BMCC owners that recently received their 2.5k cameras 5+ months later than they should have.

April 8, 2013

Ok, now you've got my attention. The question is... does anyone actually trust them to deliver the goods?

April 8, 2013

Good point. I'm not going to commit anything until I know they're readily available and NAB 2014 is not just around the corner...

April 8, 2013

128GB SanDisk SDXC card is $140 at BH and max. read/write speed is 45MB/s.

April 8, 2013

Was waiting for the camera that would make me sell my 5D mark 3 in the same price range. Found it.

Hubert

4K for $4K? Game over.

Indeed

April 8, 2013

Except: the sensor is probably the CMV12000, which has very low DR...

April 8, 2013

11 stops native and 15 stops of HDR.

Stive

More like 8 and 13 if it is the CMV12000...
(according to my own measures using that sensor)

April 8, 2013

If only it weren't a touch screen again...

Kenneth Merrill

Haha, as soon as hit submit I realized what a spoiled ass I'm being. This is awesome! If it can ship on time, perform more consistently than the last model, and I can see my aperture from the get-go, then I would be lucky to have this thing.

Kenneth Merrill

Now how long will it take to get this on the street? The track record for getting the cameras to the film makers has not been great. I don't want to wait on a list forever and then by the time I get the camera they announce the next line of cameras that bursts my excitement of the camera I am already waiting for.

robert

Some says in the summer

April 8, 2013

I'm looking forward to seeing this one at the booth... hopefully they will have a real one out this week - not just a banner.

April 8, 2013

Amazing. I wonder where they got the sensor from? Hoping it's the Toshiba one in the Nikon D5200.

Stu Mannion

Dude, the mini could be a great step up from my GH2. I'd love to just go all out and get the new 4K version, but at my current skill and income level there isn't a point. I'd rather upgrade to the small one and then once I prove I can make money, I'll upgrade. Wow, this is just exciting...

By the way, was that picture taken from a camera phone from the '90s? Like a god damn UFO video!

Julian

"Whoa," as they say.
Laforet's lauded stabilizer might be a nice evolution of that market, and one destined to be used across many a professional production, but if we're talking about "game changers" here, then nothing compares to this.
Blackmagic has beaten Red to the punch in releasing an almost universally affordable 4K camera. 4K for $4k is now a reality, and any of the manufacturers that recently entered to the cheap 4K camera marketplace must be sweating non-magical bullets.
Sony's newly-revealed line of small 4K cameras now have a direct competitor at a startling price point. Canon's 1DC, previously one of the cheapest 4K cameras out there, is now teetering on the edge of irrelevance for those who don't need stills capability.

Blah

Will they tell us exactly how many cameras they intend making? Since their last camera is still not readily available...

M Jackson

If they were available right now, I'd buy one each, but I hate waiting.. so regardless of the release history of BM I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear this.. I can't help but think if they said: why yes they're ready built and tested and we're just building up stocks then that would actually be exciting.. It's like these guys are anti zen, they're always trying to make me liven the future! ;)

Ross

Okie dokie!
Take my money BM!
THIS is what I have been waiting for.

Dana

Lets hope that the 4k camera also records 1080p Prores at up to 60fps.

Stu Mannion

Let's hope even 4k at 60fps ;-)

mikael_bellina

Also, $1000 for 1080p ProRes and Cinema DNG RAW?
People might not like the S16 sensor size, but there's really nothing even remotely close to those specs otherwise. With good on-board software functionality and lens compatibility, it suddenly becomes a tremendous value.

(... now the only bit that could make this announcement perfect would be that the BMPC actually uses the EF-M mount instead of the regular EF-S one, enabling it to be compatible with many more lenses, etc.)

Blah

It' a Micro 4/3 mount not an EF ;-)

Nej

It's a Micro 4/3 Active mount not an EF ;-)

Nej

As I abbreviated in parenthesis, I was talking about the BMPC or Blackmagic Production Camera, the actual name of Blackmagic's 4K camera, which has an "EF-compatible lens mount." That said, I can see where you might have been confused, since I was talking about the Pocket Camera for the rest of the post before then.

Blah

Global Shutter, super 35, and black magics legendary dynamic range.

Well, game over. Red and Arri might as well sell off the remainder of their factories for scrap.

Jim Jannard is having some seriously loose bowel movements over this.

Guy

And you say this based on a banner!? Let's see some real product & footage first.

exactly

Gokce

Wow. Thrilling, and so many more questions!

- How much compressed is compressed?
- I guess there is some option for higher fps in the production camera, but will they have managed to cram in 1080p50 / 1080p60 in the pocket cinema camera?
- Considering the tiny form factor on the pocket cinema camera, how long will a battery last...

Nonetheless the Pocket Cinema Camera would be very interesting for me :)

April 8, 2013

The super 16 with 13 stops in my pocket is exactly what i have been waiting for to replace my '550D on the go travel shooter.

David Stewart

Dope! Where do I preorder? Rock on BM.

Beezly

i wish they can ship these in 5 years...still %90 of bmc orders not completed yet

kemalettin sert

I wonder if RED has their lawyers on it?

Brian

Sony announced the other day that they're suing RED for patent infringement (seven patents, irrc). Not sure if it's been covered on this site.

Daniel

Yes, groundbreaking cameras indeed. Allthought: who made the 4K sensor ?

Allso, considering how much 4K material takes resources, are they really gonna make something worthwhile in that form factor ? There is still a reason why for example Sony F55 has a fan in both camera body and external recorder...

Juhan-i

I think this a wonderful announcement, however, does anybody know what "compressed CinemaDNG RAW" means? Would that be like Cineform Raw or something? One of the key points I believe....

April 8, 2013

I'd look at this for an idea of the "compressed RAW".

Adobe has a version of DNG called Lossy DNG which seems like it compresses the files by a factor of about 3:1. I'm only assuming that Blackmagic is using this, or something similar.

Blah

R.I.P. Canon "Cinema EOS". Especially the 1DC. 8bit, psuedo-4K, DSLR dynamic-range, jello-city, $12,000? Hahahaha!

Voltaire

hey Age of Enlightenment - I totally agree!

burt

Don't forget the passing of the Sony NEX-FS700.

Brian

Actually, the Sony F700 is one of the cameras offering several competitive advantages over this camera. I wouldn't count on this new BMC offering much in the way of high frame rates. The Sony F700 still offers the best bang for the buck for slow mo acquisition.

Marc B

But it's made of magnesium alloy and is weather-sealed!

James

Black Magic Design steps up the dream game but seriously needs to step up the delivery game, cant just live for ever on unicorn tales! Get your game on!! At least 15,000 units can be sold if deliverable.

Xt

Another great excitement from Black Magic Company, This time i ll be exited when people will get hands on these camera, i am still on a waiting list for the last released camera it was exactly one year ago.

Hope fully they(BM) have learned this from first experience and supply the cameras to the people on time.

auri

I'm so happy that what I've been hoping for is true! BlackMagic is absolutely the best thing that's happened to cinema in a LONG time. Hopefully their compression is open source too! I'm glad I never supported the companies that hold onto IP and use it to cripple us in post.

Harry Pray IV

I bought the 5d3 knowing the RAW game was gonna take off like a hoodlum caught in the act. 5D3 holds it's value no problem so when this bad boy is tested and ready I can sell the 5d3, having spent a few hundred dollars in the end and put that cash towards picking one of these suckers up.
This is truly exciting. The bigger sensor is the clincher for me - couldn't handle the crop sensor it has right now. I'm just happy to see BM pushing the envelope. The 1k cam is quite impressive as well. Raw for 1k in such a tiny package. You could have 3 cam setup inconspicuously, and end up with some seriously hot footage with all that RAW info.
Others will have to follow!

Wow! Game-changer!

Goodbye to my Canon 5D Mark Deux!

Time Get Into the 4K Game