April 8, 2013

RED Announces Four New Products: Rocket-X, Motion Mount, Fan Upgrade Kit, and Proxy Module

Last night, while we were all dreaming of Blackmagic's magical new cameras, Jarred Land from RED was busy posting new upgrades and products to the reduser forum. Some of these new products are quite significant, so without any further ado, read on to find out what Jarred had say.

While RED has opted not to use a global shutter in order to improve the performance, the MOTION mount takes a Tessive Time Filter approach and actually recreates the effect of a global shutter. This is the best of both worlds, and they also compensated for the fact that it would be impossible to install internal ND filters on the current RED bodies.

RED MOTION Mount

The RED MOTION mount not only incorporates an integrated 8x Electronic ND filter in adjustable 1/100 stop granularity, but also overtakes the sensors timing to give you a true global shutter. All integrated and controlled by the camera UI. Eliminates Shutter Judder and defeats temporal aliasing. You really need to come by the booth and see this one working. $4500. Shipping Fall.

RED Rocket-X

RED ROCKET-X is a supercharged version of the RED ROCKET processing .R3D files from Scarlet, Epic MX and Epic Dragon cameras up to 5x faster than the current Rocket.

• $6,750 Regular Price
  • $5,750 for early adopters
  • $4,495 if ordered at the time of any DRAGON purchase (new or upgrade)
  • Ships this Summer

DSMC FAN 2.0 Upgrade Kit

The DSMC FAN 2.0 Upgrade Kit provides you with user replaceable top and bottom fan systems to provide a quieter more robust cooling system for your Scarlet, Epic or Dragon camera. $450 for kit. $250 each. Ships End of May.

Proxy Module

The PROXY MODULE records DNxHD, H.264, and ProRes proxy files. Connects via included HD-SDI cable to your DSMC brain or PRO I/O MODULE and the PROXY MODULE will record your 1080p video feed onto RED MINI-MAGs (64GB, 128GB, or 256GB). $2500. Ships June.

What do you guys think about these new announcements from RED? Let us know in the comments.

Links:

You forgot their biggest announcement: upgrading to Dragon sensors and a path for Scarlet owners to still get Dragon in their camera brain!

April 8, 2013

Looking forward to seeing that!

marklondon

I mean IRL. ;-)

marklondon

Meh.

Robert Thorpe

Ditto.

Lance Bachelder

This is a direct fight to the new bcc... kidding

daniel

with what BlackMagic is announcing, RED is soon going to be forgotten!!

April 8, 2013

One is a professional camera, the bmcc is great but not in the same league. Different tools.

Isaac

"professional" is just a marketing term now

john jeffreys

This word "professional" - I see you toss it around on here, yet I doubt you know what it really means.

Hummer

professional just means reliable in my book, and RED is way more reliable than Black Magic

ryan

Literally LMAO. In the last 2-3 years MAYBE.
Give BM a couple of product cycles and get back to me.

marklondon

Sure, I will agree that "professional" is situational at best; and regarding the reliability factor - i'd assume many to argue how reliable RED products have been (I have nothing against RED, i own an Epic). However - Marklondon - you are defending a company that hasn't exactly proven themselves quite yet considering their inability to keep up with demand and manufacturing, and then announcing a new product that essentially crushes their monumental flagship before it can even fulfill all customer orders. I'd fair to say both arguments favoring one or the other are fairly stagnant at the moment. That being said, obviously RED is used more commonly in a professional working environment and is generally tailored with features to accommodate that environment. BMCC, on the other hand, appears to be more directed towards the independent or prosumer/consumer side of the fence for the moment (not a bad thing by any means, and doesn't lessen the value of the camera in professional hands).

April 8, 2013

I heard the same thing when the 5D came out, and how many major motion pictures went on to be created with the 5D...?

The BMCC is a huge step up from the DSLRs. I make my living using my camera. I work with DPs and ACs, who all have expectations of gear to do their job and make their living as well, that's how I define professional. I hope this makes a trend of making DSLRs go back to focusing on being primarily still cameras, and the BMCC being a great inbetween system for those not moving up to Alexa's, Epics, etc.

Brian

@Brian. "I heard the same thing when the 5D came out, and how many major motion pictures went on to be created with the 5D…?" Umm... almost none? Yea, a few of them used 5D's for crash cams and put them where they couldn't put a real camera or where they didn't care if they lost it. And, uhh, o yea, Rubber. Do not say Act of Valor because very little of it was actually shot on 5D's.

@Aaron M, you're wasting your time talking marklondon. I've had a similar volley with him elsewhere on NFS about the BM4K camera. He's a BM fanboy and doesn't like hearing anything about BM's inability to fulfill customer orders. Thank you for saying it, though. I made the argument before but, was summarily reprimanded by him and a number of other fanboys for pointing out BM's deficiencies.

Again, the BMCC and the newer 4K model are for those folks that need to step up from DSLR's and THINK they need 4K. No 'professional' production will ever use either of the BM cams as A cameras.

And I like Black Magic! and wish them all the best.

dixter

If professional just means reliable, then it's interesting to note, that RED has been used on major motion pictures from the start and at that time it had huge reliability issues. It hasn't stopped the professionals from using it, because it provided great digital IQ (for the time). Same thing applies to Blackmagic.

PeterK

I'm sorry, but a camera with the sensor size of the BMCC has no place on a set. I can't see how you've come to that conclusion.

April 8, 2013

So not only are you saying that you don't believe that any sets use S16 cameras or that the new Blackmagic cameras won't really have S35 sensors, you're saying both of these things at once. Makes sense.

cows

Yeah Super 16 size sucks - I saw that one movie... what's it called... oh yeah Hurt Locker that won some of them Oscars... that was Super 16 film... that sucked. It would have been so much better if it had been shot with a Dragon.

Lance Bachelder

Yeah, too little shallow DoF in that movie. Totally sucked.

PeterK

Don't forget Black Swan, The Wrestler, Saw...Super 16

April 9, 2013

... did you miss Blackmagic's announcements today?

Blah

Lol, two of the best shows EVER made on television, the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, are filmed on S16. What nerve these guys have of filming with such garbage cameras that aren't fit for any set! Hire some real pros who know what they're doing.

Shanon Fernald

Breaking bad is shot on 35mm film. And there's a huge difference between S16 film and S16 sensor. The film is WAY more professional.

Kenneth Merrill

And painting is even further so much more extra professional.

PeterK

You're forgetting Scrubs too!

April 9, 2013

Blackmagic could be the white elephant in the room at NAB
- I like white elephants !

Mitch

Love how RED releases a fan upgrade kit that costs half the price of Black Magics new pocket Alexia.... remember when they were the ones bragging about being low cost/high performance and the indie filmmakers best friend?

Dovahkiin

alexa* and Red to me is an indie filmakers best friend. they arent a no budget films best friend but then few professional companies are. the pocket cam is really cool but they arent in the same discussion.

biagio

I think he was referring to the fact that many co sider that the BMCC image quality is considered by many to closely match the 100k Alexa.

Shanon Fernald

Canon's silence means somthing...

Marvin

It means they are asleep...

Black magic is really tickling my interest right now.... a lot.

Tom

It means seppuku.

April 8, 2013

I'd expect a C50 or something that will still be overpriced. They are dead at this point. Nobody bought their shitty C series cameras (to the point that you can sign one off for 0 down or something) and all of their DSLR's, even in the 3rd generation, have crippled video for the price

john jeffreys

The C300 is one of the most rented camera's in the industry. Sorry to disappoint but Canon is far from out of the game from a video stand point.
However they are overpriced. Nobody can deny that.

Hubert

Kenneth Merrill

Snore...it seems that RED is the new Canon. And BMCC is the new RED.

Hummer

*cough* troll *cough*

biagio

It's actually quite a reasonable comment. Great image quality for low cost. Used to be RED. Now it's BMCC.

PeterK

All very nice, but, comparing BMCC to Red is like Arena football to the NFL, just not the same. Look, if you have a great story, great actors and can shoot and edit, you can use a DVX-100 with an anamorphic adaptor and still churn out beauty, I just watched a music video a friend did on that setup and was blown away. The story and content are everything, the tools are important too, but think about that kids...

pacifcbeachca

^^^ This!

Ken

LOL, yes, "this" my bad, I'm used to writing news...

pacifcbeachca

That wasn't a correction. It was an endorsement of what you wrote.

Ken

+100!

Kenneth Merrill

I used my iPod to film and edit some videos last weekend, which got called "Truly Amazing" by Oxfam NZ! :-o

Sometimes the camera really doesn't matter that much....

However, I really really *really* want that Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera! :-D

April 9, 2013

I like the new BMD 4K camera and I'm glad it was announced when it was. I reckon BMD puts a similar pressure on RED as RED puts on Sony, Canon and Arri. However, I can't believe that so many people are so ready to give up 1 whole stop of DR just so they can do whip pans.

I know the image quality is going to ultimately be the deciding factor but, in the scheme of things, any production that's seriously considering using an Alexa will probably take a long, hard look at a Dragonized Scarlet before they look at the BMD 4K cam.

Brian

If you're considering using an Alexa, I don't even know why BM cameras are in the discussion! And yeah, it's a bummer about the dynamic range, but the S35 sensor is a big deal to some of us. I don't have any M4/3 glass. So I'm willing to sacrifice one stop for compatibility with glass I already own and a normal crop factor.

Kenneth Merrill

I get the appeal of the BMPC4K. My point is it's unfair to both cameras when you compare it to a Scarlet with a Dragon sensor, which is moving into current Alexa territory - not a baby Alexa but an actual competitor. No one in the market for a new car narrows the choice down to either the 5 Series BMW or the Ford Focus if they can afford the BMW. The BMPC4K will attract some people who were considering buying a Scarlet because it better suits their bank accounts but there's little reason for anyone who already has a Scarlet MX to sell it and buy the new BMD 4K cam. Overall, Scarlet MX is still a more capable camera, but it should be; it costs more. They're only going to diverge once you put the Dragon in Scarlet so it makes more sense to me to compare the BMPC4K to the C100, C300, Digital Bolex, KineRAW S35, etc.

Although they lit a fire under everyone's ass in this category from the mere announcement of the initial Scarlet (that never materialized in that form), RED is not a 3K for $3K company (unless they're blowing out discontinued cams). They moved on and so should everyone's expectations. They still offer tremendous bang for the buck, no question, but they make cameras for people with SOME bucks to spend. The no-budget filmmaker will find a RED purchase harder to justify.

Brian

Seems like right now Sony is putting pressure on RED ;-)

PeterK