April 8, 2013

Redrock Micro's New Curving Slider Aims to Make You a 'One Man Crew'

If you're a one-man band, you know how tough it can be to simultaneously handle the camera, capture sound and interact with your subject. More often than not, you'll have to settle for a static shot, or hide behind the camera while trying to speak to the person you are interviewing. Redrock Micro's new "parabolic track slider" -- the One Man Crew -- aims to add graceful motion to your shots, while freeing your hands to focus on other aspects of the shoot. How? Check this video out:

The big difference between this slider and others on the market is the parabolic curve -- with no need for an operator, you can get nice slider moves while keeping the subject anchored in frame.  Beyond that it has a lot of the features you would expect from higher-end portable real-time sliders -- speed control, automatic easing in and out of stops, a good amount of track (36"), camera weight limits of up to 20 lbs, etc.

It should be a nice tool for folks looking to spice up their interview footage or add some dynamism to their product shots.  For folks who can justify its use over several shoots, at a price of $1500, it doesn't break the bank. Having been on documentary shoots that required laying down track and bringing in a dolly to achieve similar effects, I can see this being very handy.

One possible drawback may be for folks looking for a combination live-action/time-lapse slider -- this is strictly live-action. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more sliders built with parabolic curves, that is if Redrock Micro doesn't lock the idea down with their pending patent.

For more details, check out the product page here.

Does this look like something you could use? Does that sound like a fair price point? Would you rent or buy?

Link: One Man Crew — Redrock Micro

[via Cinescopophilia and Planet 5D]

Whoa! This is a game changer!
Just like the 5dmark2 was.

vinceGortho

haha

marklondon

This is the new movi!! A revolution!!!

And everything stays the same... lol

@ nice gear!

Alex Mand

Over 9000+

Hahaha

Cris

Unfortunately, for documentary interview camera operators , it is a game changer.
An interviewer can have automated movement in their shots without having to pay a camera op or at least pay for a second camera op. By not having to hire a second camera op on a week long shoot, or pay to fly them to a location, car, food and hotel, this thing pays for itself.

You'll immediately start seeing these moving shots in news, on location interviews, where often the reporter is setting up their own audio, lighting and camera on tripods.

Rick Webb

I rarely laugh out loud when in front of computer but I just had to laugh so hard

hansd

Life will never be the same again!

April 9, 2013

seems cool from side to side sliding but for those who would want to do a "push in" or "pull back" its useless. It would be cooler if the had the option to some how swap out the curved track for a straight track when needed.
for 1500 this is overpriced. nice thought tho

April 8, 2013

The problem with that is it take out the automated selling point since you'd have to pull focus on a push or a pull.

steve

This thing will definately make some interview subjects uncomfortable.

Marvin

Just stare into the dead eye of the robot, as it drifts back and forth. I'll be outside.

alex

MMC | Made me chuckle.

Robert Thorpe

If they could create a red glow emitting from the lens, this should help to relax and calm your subjects right down.

April 8, 2013

So it pulls focus for you too?

pacifcbeachca

Nope. Always the same distance from the subject.

steve

I found this pretty shakey....

Leland

As long as you set your subject in the right spot, anyway... the subject can't be too close or too far away.
The website stipulates an ideal distance of 6 feet from the camera.

Blah

How about forward??? or backwards!?!?! then it could be used as a dolly with no physical movement needed.

April 8, 2013

Watch the video; at :37s there's a shot of the controller that shows "Left" and "Right" with "Auto" and "Manual" modes. The dial for speed is completes it. What's great is that it's NOT for time lapse.

April 8, 2013

I guess it's cool for cut away angles if you have Magic Lantern installed with continuous record.

April 8, 2013

Can you control the speed of the slide? Every shot was super slow tracking. Having the ability to go straight for push ins and back out shots like other people suggested would be very helpfull. But then they would justify adding on another $500 for the straight track.

marky mark

Ahh kids.. I remember a time when we had to push our sliders... I know crazy right?

Tasmaniac

you will see redrock saying this will come out for the next 3 NAB events like all their other BS products

brian

I think this potentially lets me shoot two camera angles with me and my soundman which cuts down immensely on cost and adds some nice production value to what would be a static shot. If I can set a second angle that adds value without needing to spend for a second operator who really is there only to get a cutaway that's huge.

It looks like it can also be used for some nice movement of locations.

Mike Collins

I'll keep using my straight slider, thanks.

April 8, 2013

For $445.50 you can get Varavon's curved slider that does the same thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARAVON-Slidecam-ARC-CURVED-Slider-Track-Dolly-f...

I don't know if it works as well as the RedRock, but it's a lot cheaper!

April 8, 2013

Ok, having the built in motion control is the big thing missing on Varavon's which your paying significantly for on the Redrock. And the radius on the Varavon looks better suited to product shots and less so for interview/ portraits.

April 8, 2013

If I read or hear the expression "game-changer" one more time, I'm gonna puke.

April 9, 2013

Derek

Yes, it's so annoying. It is NOT a game changer, and if it actually *was*, I'd still say its annoying to use that term all the time.

April 13, 2013

Daniel Mimura

There is a Spanish company, name escapes me now, that produces a slider where you can set the beginning and ending angles to whatever you like. Cheesycam wrote about them. Just $100.

April 9, 2013

Philip

Yeah. It sucks. I'd recommend nobody buy or use one. Just pay a camera operator. And airline ticket. And hotel. And meals. And overtime. Pfffft. Automatic crap. Why I remember when film...

Use it for good or evil. Or don't use it at all. It's just another tool.

April 9, 2013

Erik Stenbakken

I can't beleive the negative comments. I think this looks incredible - a real "game changer"! (Okay, that part was a joke). Seriously, some of you must never shoot interviews. For me, I am often using two cameras with one on a slider. If I have to be the one asking the questions, forget sliding. To be able to have a slider that automatically creeps back and forth AND pans would be really nice.

The only thing that might be better is this (see 3 minute mark):

April 10, 2013

Would it have to be centered on the subject in order for the parabolic distance to remain constant?

April 11, 2013

Wesley

People need to get over sliders...some of the longer ones (usually the ones that have their own stands or take two tripods) can give a range of motion that is actually useful, but sliders like this serve no real purpose. Why are you moving the camera, just for the hell of it? Come on...yes, sometimes a slow creep can be "meaningful" in feel or something (it's a stretch, but maybe sometimes...). But if you have this thing on in an interview, what's the purpose? Are the operators going to queue the slider only to move when the subject breaks down and cries or are you gonna just dolly back and forth like a bored child looking for something to do? Is the talent/subject so boring you are trying to compensate? If that's the case, maybe you should rethink what you're shooting in the first place.

Sliders only seem to do anything when you are revealing something new (like when you...I dunno, dolly from a doorframe into the scene---these are stupid pointless, unmotivated moves, but, yeah, it can work as an introduction to a scene or a space)...or there is the other common mini-slider/tabletop slider move when you, you know...reveal the talent from behind a can of Coke or a glass of wine or something...

These moves are lame...they're too small (most of the time) to move in with the talent or whatever, so it's just unnecessary . Don't get me wrong, I love a moving camera...just move with purpose. Sliders of most varieties, and how they are most commonly used (especially in this little video), don't really fulfill any real cinematic function.

April 13, 2013

Daniel Mimura

Daniel, what moves do fulfill cinematic function? Happy to learn. Are there resources you could point us to to begin learning about more impactful camera moves?

April 15, 2013