May 2, 2014

Check out the First Indie Short Film Shot on the 4K Panasonic GH4

At NAB we were finally able to get up close and personal with the highly anticipated Panasonic Lumix GH4, the sub-$2000 camera which offers internal 4K recording, as well as an optional YAGH interface unit. For months we've been wondering how well the GH4 performs in the field -- not just in tests, but in actual narrative filmmaking. Nick Driftwood has produced the very first non-commissioned short film using the GH4 -- a comedy, which is a little bit Euro Crime Caper, a little bit Spaghetti Western, and has a whole lot of camera geek goodness. Plus, it was written and filmed in just 2 days!

Aside from being truly funny, the film does a great job of giving an entertaining overview of Panasonic's new camera. Really, Le Cas GH4 is one part indie short, one part GH4 camera test, and one part pseudo GH4/5D Mark III shootout. The narrative follows Tony, a wise guy who has found himself in the possession of a "new shooter" -- a GH4 that shoots "4K!". The villain, a french speaking, presumably Italian gentleman named Don Canonioni, will stop at nothing to get his hands on it. ("Where is ze GH4? I want it!") And all of this drama culminates in a hilarious camera to camera showdown a la Leone's A Few Dollars More.

Unfortunately, there isn't much information available at this time about how Driftwood approached his film -- which lenses he used, camera settings, etc. (though he does say he'll share details soon). What we do know is that this film was an independent effort and wasn't commissioned by Panasonic, and that it was written and shot in just 2 days.

Check out Driftwood's Le Cas GH4 below!

The GH4 has been the topic of discussion for quite a while, because it seems to be an impressive camera with an even more impressive price. Here are a few key specs about the GH4 and the interface unit (for more in-depth information, check out our previous posts):

Camera Body:

• 2x 3G-SDI Capable BNC Connectors
  • 2x HD-SDI Capable BNC Connectors
  • Quad-Link SDI Output for 4:2:2/10-Bit 4K
  • HDMI Output
  • Timecode In
  • 12VDC 4-Pin XLR Power Input

Preorders are being taken for the GH4 body ($1700) and the interface unit ($2000) now, but the body is expected to become available as of May 25th.

What do you think of Nick Driftwood's short? Share your thoughts about the GH4 in the comments below.

Links:

Was this colored?

May 2, 2014 at 8:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This is a fuckin brilliant film Some people here just don't get it. Some of you should try turning around something this quick, this entertaining and looks so good. GH4 wins.

May 2, 2014 at 7:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike Rogers

I think he said it was straight out of the camera.

May 3, 2014 at 9:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dean Martyn

The rolling shutter is pretty ugly. It's not worse than the competition, but this kind of run and gun action makes you realize the need for global shutter cameras.

May 2, 2014 at 9:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ben

It doesn't really look any better than my GH3, but then I don't have a 4k monitor, and probably won't for a long time. I'm quite happy with my current GH3 for videoish look, and my BMPCC for filmish look, at least for now!

May 2, 2014 at 9:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You know what that is? Common sense. Most intelligent comment about these cams I've read her ever.

May 2, 2014 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

I would not use this camera for shooting movies. It has strong videoish look.

May 2, 2014 at 9:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Laurel

Agree. I thought i was the only one thinking about the videoish colors of the GH4, I didnt see any footage yet that make me think that this camera could shoot movies.

May 2, 2014 at 9:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Martin

Don't know what you mean mate. Thats just a silly comment. All digital cameras are video looking to me I don't think any look like film. end of. However, the GH4 looks good to me. And this film confirms it. Ordering one.

May 2, 2014 at 7:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John Martins

5DM3 has film look, but GH4 will be great for documentaries.

May 3, 2014 at 9:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Laurel

5Dmkiii is NOT filmic. You can soften the GH2, 3 or 4 with filters if you want. Way better to keep the detail that the GH4 shows and yet the compression of the Canon cameras is so mushy orange - that look is done & dusted.
I really like Nick's vide, the people here haven't got a clue.

May 3, 2014 at 12:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Blanc

I still find it amusing and delicious that the GH2 hacked looked nearly as good as an ARRI in the Zacuto great Camera Shootout. :-)

May 3, 2014 at 11:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Oh Nick, this just bad all around, bad framing, composition, lighting does not do this camera justice. Why wouldn't you of all people take your time? Is everyone in a hurry to just get tye first footage out of any camera? I just saw a post with a guy who went to an aquarium ( http://vimeo.com/93559386 )and got some great shots out of it, and he was an amateur! If I was Panasonic I'd rather push the guy who shot the aquarium footage than this. Sorry, no excuse to put out such bad cinematography with such a descent camera.

May 2, 2014 at 9:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John Wilton

Totally agree. And you are right. That aquarium footage is fantastic.

May 2, 2014 at 9:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

100% agree with everything John said.

May 2, 2014 at 10:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick

Ugh...Yeah that just looked like poo

May 2, 2014 at 10:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

Yeah could not watch.

May 2, 2014 at 2:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Garrett Cox

Concur... ouch, bad memories of having to sit through too many screenings at film school. Hopefully we'll see something better from the GH4 soon...

After seeing both cameras at NAB my money is on the Sony A7s with Shogun - full-frame goodness in 4k...

May 2, 2014 at 2:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lance Bachelder

If all my actors were fish I would seriously consider the Gh4.

May 2, 2014 at 10:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

BaristaNator

...and if they were indoors at all times....

It does look nice, but its an instance where the over-saturation and over-sharpness really pays off (its not like you actually know what the colour of those fish actually are).
Perhaps it has a future as a specialist underwater cam?

Just don't point it at the sky, or humans wearing bright colours, or grass.

May 2, 2014 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

I am still not sure that the oversaturation is happening in camera. It certainly looked great in the aquarium and the other footage I posted further down in this thread. I am desperate to see some good doc footage, people in action, markets with sun and shade and most of all movement and multiple skin colours. If its given a quick grade then fine - non of us are going to broadcast raw. I also don't care for 4K particular other then to have flex space to master at 2K. I am attracted to the camera because it has so much potential in such a small package (much like myself), I just hope it actually delivers (oh course much like myself lol)

May 2, 2014 at 11:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

It very much is. The closes thing to shooting "Log" is CineLikeD and when you add a LUT to that footage (Osiris let's say) it's SUPER saturated. Even after turning in camera saturation down to -5 (lowest) it still is a bit much after adding the LUT.

May 2, 2014 at 12:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agreed. But I'm not going to lie as the Monterey Aquarium makes for great imagery. Here is video I shot last weekend there on my 6D RAW with Magic Lantern. I think aside from the fact that Em was there on a less crowded day so he could get those cool wide shots of each tank, the video compares nicely. Here is mine to see some difference.

May 2, 2014 at 1:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Just to put in a word for Emm from Cheesycam.com (the shooter of the aquarium footage). He's far from an amateur, and runs a fantastic site, to boot.

May 3, 2014 at 8:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert

Still can't judge the camera as this footage and film are a little too indy/slap dash (no offence). Fun film but it shows it was a two day turnaround. I am not writing this camera off by a long shot, its got bags of potential BUT so far I have seen very little compelling footage outside of the expensive and heavily graded promos. I reserve judgment but I am guessing that unless 4K is truly necessary the C300 (overpriced for sure) remains the camera for run and gun DSLR shooting (for me at this time)

May 2, 2014 at 9:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

Another sensible comment.
Was stuck in a screening room watching docs all last week - almost 75% shot with a C300/C100 or (gulp) Canon DSLR. They all looked GREAT on the big screen at 2K.

/the other 25% shot RED/ALEXA.
/next year we're guessing about 10% will be BMCC.

May 2, 2014 at 11:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

Here's a good example, even though it's in 1080p mode, the quality really shows on many of the shots. It's possible fimconvert was what brought out the image.

May 3, 2014 at 5:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Frank

I took the GH4 out to play with the 96fps mode. It looks pretty good. A little soft but very usable. I shot this with Cinelike D and graded it with Colorista II. I Basically took my lunch break and went and shot some samples and put it together. It isnt an indi short. :-D

May 2, 2014 at 10:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nice. There is no doubt this camera has bags of potential. I found this test pretty compelling too as it gives a feel for a very textured narrative shoot https://vimeo.com/groups/gh4k/videos/93361992

May 2, 2014 at 10:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

Beautiful. :-)

Thanks for that link. It made my day.

May 3, 2014 at 11:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

It's not the camera, it's the story and the cinematographer [upstream colors]

May 2, 2014 at 10:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Wow... was that shot on a Sony Cybercam? Strange - maybe it was the grading or something.

As an aside, why did I expect Jim Rockford's gold Pontiac to drive by???

May 2, 2014 at 10:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

THAT Guy

Hahaha it would have actually been a good film if Rockford's car had a cameo!

May 2, 2014 at 5:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

criles

Agreed....looks kinda "video-ish"

Unfortunately not that impressed, sorry

May 2, 2014 at 10:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick

um, how bout you guys call it "digital-ish".

I don't agree with you guys when you call Panasonic video that because it mostly comes down to lenses and not the primal ability of the camera. But at least slow down and speak more precisely about what you mean. You mean digital look. If Nick Driftwood had taken more time with shooting and grading he could make the look all of you people complaining are looking for.

Let's take a breath and lighten up. If you are are at a higher level than Nick Driftwood, thus qualifying you to look down at him, then put some links here to your work that is better than his and let us judge you. Are you game?

May 3, 2014 at 11:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Wow that is very video looking.. its been a while since someone had got a sensor this video looking. This is a live event or doco cam maybe. Good camera for filming life and travels but i wouldn't shoot a film with it. The 5D mk 2 was better than this and that was an accident.

May 2, 2014 at 10:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I wouldn't be too quick to judge. What the movie in the article demonstrates is you get out of any shoot what you put in. Anyone can pick up even a red and come back with slap n dash results. Again, no offence to the filmmakers but they are clearly not too interested in quality image acquisition (or sound for that matter).

May 2, 2014 at 10:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

agree with Claire

May 2, 2014 at 10:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

that was bad

May 2, 2014 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

sebastian roland

Oh, more "It looks Video-ish" comments. ALL camera's shoot video, including the BMC's. I'm sure with the right colour grading and lens, you could get this looking better. You just can't please some people can you. I think it looks amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

May 2, 2014 at 10:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jared

It looks like handycam footage.

May 2, 2014 at 10:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

wally world

Despite my earlier comment I totally agree!

May 2, 2014 at 10:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Most of these people talking bad about the movie and the camera probably never shot a complete short movie neither a full future. All they do is find an excuse, first movie Robert Rodriguez shot looked like crap. If you have not shot anything you should not even critique no ones art until you have work to back you up.

May 2, 2014 at 10:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rbfilms

While I understand your sentiment, I think that's a fallacy. As an artist, do you produce work only for other artists? If not, then you're tacitly embracing evaluation from non-creatives.

That said, I think people are judging prematurely (which is different than judging without experience). Seems some are conflating the camera, the short, and the intentions Driftwood had with the short.

May 2, 2014 at 11:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael

No mate. This is a thread about the camera and its image acquisition. The film is fine for a quick fire bit of fin but certainly does not do justice to the camera (the GH4 or the 5D). As that was kinda the point of the short it falls over in a technical way that leaves it open for far more of a ripping than its getting here. Like I said, a two day shoot for some fun is cool but using it to judge this camera when its been executed in the way it has been doesnt make any sense.

May 2, 2014 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

It's no problem for someone to judge something even if they're not a filmmaker. Doesn't mean their eye, or ear, is less able to judge quality. Of course experience goes a long way but their are plenty of people who can criticise eloquently and precisely writing who are not writers, films that are not filmmakers and music that are not musicians. To think otherwise is arrogance and elevates you above those you think are not worthy to have an opinion. And I say this as someone reasonably well experienced in film and TV.

May 2, 2014 at 11:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

May 3, 2014 at 5:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

thecouchguy

One minute minimal clip by smallish rental house. Filmed with a camera that is supposed give "Sony video look" (at least according to some "experts").

Opening shot (after the titles) is more convincingly cinematic in few seconds than this whole GH4 short film .

GH4 is a decent camera. This was just somewhat bad example and you do not need a cinematography degree to see that.

May 2, 2014 at 1:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juhan-i

Vimeo is crap.. so much nicer when they used Flash players.. now their video players suck.. go fullscreen and doesn't change.

May 2, 2014 at 10:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pherz

This was really not attempting to show the GH4 in a cinematic way. It's like asking someone to audition and they just come and read the text. I know you can read, I want you to perform. I would say the same of the short. The locations could have been made more beautiful with some attention to artistry. I'd prefer a short half the RT with twice the effort. Every camera will have pros and cons, this really exposes the cons. I am renting a GH4 package in a few weeks. Maybe I can post something more representative.

May 2, 2014 at 11:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MrsMerryMac

Agree 100% and yes please do - that would be fantastic

May 2, 2014 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaolin

Well if that's an advert for the GH4 sales will plummet.

May 2, 2014 at 11:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

May 2, 2014 at 12:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

GH4 sales are higher than expected. Panasonic has ramped up production:

The real world is eating this camera up. Commenters on the internet are eating it for lunch. We all need to decide if we are going to go with the real world or the world created in internet comments.

Jus sayin.

May 4, 2014 at 12:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Internet has tons of bad videos already. Why another one?

May 2, 2014 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Jack

May 2, 2014 at 12:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

To entertain the idiots, of course.

May 3, 2014 at 3:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Good or bad people here will complain.

May 4, 2014 at 5:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Well, this filmmaker is obviously a bit of a hack. (oh sorry couldn't hold that bad pun in)

Seriously, the whole video-ish/film look argument is getting ooooolld!
I still honestly believe its more about the choice of lenses and the capture/composition/editing and lighting decisions than specs. The choice of camera (to a degree) is the final limiting factor.
This is a much nicer example of the GH4 used to look film-ic.

Whack some old glass on that baby, light it well, compose and expose your shots well, edit to the story and (with a 5d, 7d, red, arri, bmcam, gh2 3 or 4 and more) and you will have a film that looks like a film.

May 2, 2014 at 11:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jonny H

Dang beautiful video! I see he didn't use Panasonic lenses. GH's always look better with lenses other than Panasonic lenses, i.e., Leica, Voightlander, Nikkor, etc.

May 4, 2014 at 5:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Can nofilmschool please post an explanation of the "video" look and it's differences from the filmic look. People are saying BMCC or 5D is more filmic than the early GH4 footage. I would like to see a side by side comparison of both images which explains why this is video and this is filmic. This would need to include motion comparison as well.

I also think lensing (focal length,contrast,etc) is a bigger contributor. I feel in a lot of these test videos people go too wide with the choice of lense made.

GH4 seems to produce very clean footage.

Also this should turn into a real names forum. I like the content of the site but the comments section can get pretty ugly.

May 2, 2014 at 12:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ArchiCine

Yup. In my opinion most M43 lenses produce that "video" look in question. With the right picture profile, some vintage lenses, and a little grading, you can get pretty much any look you want from any camera...

May 2, 2014 at 12:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Luke, many others agree with you regarding vintage lenses. When I think vintage lenses I think of faster manual primes, and less advanced coatings. That leads me to think that one aspect to a filmic look is to add imperfections in the optics.

I don't buy that somehow, but the key is that I did not attend film school and have not had the opportunity to see what raw ungraded film looks look like. But I have taken quite a few 35mm stills in my day and when everything was in focus the prints would be tack sharp and almost hyper real. The other thing is my Panasonic lenses are not the sharpest lenses I own. Pretty much every 50mm from Cannon, Nikkon, Helios(58), is much sharper than my Panasonic zoom lenses. I cant prove it as I don't do tests but my eye tells me its the case, I would love to see comparisons.

The best HDSLR footage I have enjoyed from a pure image standpoint comes from Zeiss and especially Leica R lenses. It didn't matter weather it was a 7D or a GH2, the Leica's looked awesome. And one last point is that most films that i have seen in the theater look tack sharp with clean pristine images to my eye. Again most of this is anecdotal but when people just say it looks video it doesn't help the matter.

The matter might have to do with motion and that's my best guess.

Coty I agree with the emphasis of cinematic over filmic, at least I can understand that.

Thanks to Driftwood for shooting all of these videos.

May 2, 2014 at 4:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ArchiCine

Can someone define Videoy look? I think its irrelevant in this day and age of digital. All footage blown up looks like square pixels. Real film doesn't.

May 3, 2014 at 9:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Serge Thilmco

I think what characterizes the video look, and this is strictly from my perception, is that the video look has more of a sharp, almost hyper real look to it. Filmic images, or at least what is considered filmic, tend to have a more painterly look to them. That's why I kind of like the look that comes from the RED Dragon footage I've seen so far since it seems to be walking that line between real and painterly pretty well so far. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I personally don't put much stock in whether or not something looks filmic as much as I put stock into whether or not it looks cinematic (I know most people mean them as one and the same, but I like to make a distinction).

May 2, 2014 at 1:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

I think it has to do with colors too. Shadows in film are very soft and gradual, in video they are black and pretty abrupt. That's the "Panasonic" look in a nutshell. Not much roll off on either end. You can fix a lot of that in both capture and post though. Shoot flat and grade to get the look you want.

May 2, 2014 at 1:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oh, absolutely. I think the problem with the shadows is the same as the problem with color in a lot of stuff that looks like video. Color nuance is (almost) everything.

May 2, 2014 at 1:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

That and shutter speed. I have NEVER understood why these cameras don't give us a stock 1/48th shutter option. I know it's small, but that's the whole video/filmic debate, isn't it? Indefinable qualities that are compromised of many little factors. It's only 1/2 a second of a difference but it affects everything. All movement. Of all the things Magic Lantern gave us in the Canon line, the ability to shoot at 1/48th shutter was one of my favorites. How is this not stock?

May 2, 2014 at 2:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

@Luke I've heard that the GH4 allows you to set the shutter by degrees, so that should fix that problem assuming that it truly calculates 180deg as 1/48 for when shooting 24p

May 2, 2014 at 2:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

@Luke Newman. Just followed your tutorial for magiclantern raw for canon dslrs. Thanks you btw. Been searching but haven't found anything concrete on this, but Is there a raw2dng / other program that allows you to off load dngs from raw files greater than 4gb? If I shoot raw video for so long, regardless of what resolution I'm using, dropping the raw file from camera over the program does actuate individual dng files.

May 2, 2014 at 4:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

using a 7D. card reformatted on computer instead of camera.

May 2, 2014 at 4:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

Sweet! It's a little tricky when you go over 4GB and I can't totally remember how to do that. I think you had to unarchive something?

May 2, 2014 at 6:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Its a darn site better than the orange soft look of Canon cameras. If this is the Panasonic look - I love it.

May 3, 2014 at 9:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dean Martyn

I agree this video does look like "video" but it may look "filmic" if pro lenses were used and better shot compositions. @THuFF_Films

May 2, 2014 at 1:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey, everyone, guess what? THE AUDIENCE DOES NOT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT WHAT CAMERA IT WAS SHOT ON. I just thought I'd share this since it seems to be lost on every filmmaker these days.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of hearing about all this 4k hype and seeing every single video looking the same.

May 2, 2014 at 1:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Where are Gene and DLD to tell us how good this looks cause it's 4k?

This looks like video in the worst possible way.

May 2, 2014 at 1:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

arain

I have never made a comment that says 4K video looks good only because it is 4K.

May 4, 2014 at 5:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

That looked like a high school project, ugh. Where was the lens hood for the 70-200L 2.8? I much prefer to gaze at the beauty of the aquarium and then a shaky, amatuerish video any day of the week.

May 2, 2014 at 1:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Aquarium video is so boring. But this is fun.

May 3, 2014 at 9:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

shark

I also think the video from the aquarium was much more 'filmic' than the one here. Prosumer video cameras just can't capture motion like film(probably frame rate?) but the aquarium in it's static, slow movement was very pleasing to watch and enjoy. Just my opionion folks and I haven't shot a full video since SD was king on my VX2000. :-)

May 2, 2014 at 1:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Now this is one seriously serious thread. :-)

Thanks for all the lovely comments lovelies. We're enjoying life.

May 2, 2014 at 2:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey Nick;
loved the spoof feel to the short. With only two days time, you guys pretty darn close. Don't worry about the bunch of blokes on here. Some of us understand that there are more than just Magic bullet looks.

May 2, 2014 at 7:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David F

Nick. I think you did a great job for what you had available. As a fan of some of your older GH2 hacks (back in the early days, before i bricked it) I appreciate your efforts, despite all the hate. Don't let that stop you. I think the short was funny and I was into it the whole time, not once stopping for a technical issue. I don't know if it's because they say it on a smartphone or tablet but I thought it looked fine. Reminded me of Italian Spiderman in it's tone and seriousness.

Can you give a little more specifics as to the settings, lenses and quite possibly choice in lighting (if any was used), even your post process?

Notice the people bashing your film haven't linked to a film they shot with a GH4. The fact that you took the time to shoot this speaks volumes on your dedication to the medium, regardless of your skill set, technique or choices. This community was never this abrasive in it's earlier days, and hopefully with the changes Ryan and team are making can remedy that.

I'd love to see someone else post a film that they wrote, casted, shot and edited in two days. With the GH4.

People should come here to share knowledge and support this process, not tear it down.

May 2, 2014 at 10:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge Cayon

Hey, was that Tim Roth's brother? And that other guy, is he related to Mickey Roarke, or Max von Sydow?

May 4, 2014 at 1:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Enjoying some G...

Wow that is ugly. But most of the video look comes, in my opinion, from the fact that it was composed and exposed so poorly. Exposed well and graded, that could have looked SO much better.

May 2, 2014 at 2:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

Was Panasonic GH4 really used or is it just a prank?

May 2, 2014 at 2:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Jack

It was actually shot on a RED!

May 3, 2014 at 9:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Serge Thilmco

I don't know why people are so shocked, 4K does not automatically = THE FILM LOOK. Resolution means nothing. People thought 24p was the answer to the film look, then it was large sensors giving shallow DOF. Now it's all about Dynamic range and how many stops the camera is capable of. Cinematography, lighting, lenses, direction and many more variables help to create the film look, I do believe some camera's just don't look like film no matter how pretty you set up the scene. While others achieve the look more easily. I've seen many so called cinematic shots for this camera and people still think it's looks like film when actually all they are seeing is camera moves on Cranes and Jibs and sliders. It's the movement that is cinematic not the quality of the footage. GH4 will always look like video no matter what, but that's fine.

May 2, 2014 at 2:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaun Fontaine

It seems that Panasonic is somewhat victim of the earlier success...
They have never sold the GH-series as cinema cameras. Indy cinema community / whatever amateur cinema community themselves put Pana GH cameras up on the pedestal.

May 2, 2014 at 2:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juhan-i

I'm pretty sure the GH4 will be at the very least a moderate improvement on the GH2 and GH3, which gave us the beautiful films Upstream Color (https://vimeo.com/57342043) and Musgo (https://vimeo.com/33025136). My experience with the hacked GH2 is that nailing your exposure is really important for getting a "cinematic" image. I try to avoid blown highlights like the plague, especially on faces. I guess that's a sign of limited dynamic range, but if you can nail that sweetspot I'm actually a big fan of the Panasonic look. Here's a teaser for my no-budget feature film shot on the hacked GH2.

May 2, 2014 at 3:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CS

May 2, 2014 at 3:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CS

I think this is one of the rare exceptions where the camera isn't keeping up with the skills of the filmmaker in many shots. A different grade might improve the look but the GH2 seems to be the weakest link here. I think a better spec'd camera WOULD actually equal better images in your case because the other tenets of good filmmaking are there.

May 2, 2014 at 10:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

Thanks Brian. I'd still contend that the hacked GH2 was a better choice than the Canon DSLRs, which at the time I invested in my camera were the alternatives in my range. At this low budget, though, I'm way more concerned with getting the story and acting up to snuff than worrying about the camera. A no budget film is never going to look like Hollywood, but it's definitely possible to tell a more interesting story than Hollywood. (Not saying we've achieved it necessarily, but others certainly have).

May 3, 2014 at 12:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CS

Looks very good, Caleb.

The best G2 footage I've seen so far - with Upstream Color and Musgo.
Solid work 99% of the time, good acting. I hope you'll go far. Wish you all the best.

May 3, 2014 at 5:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stefan Antonescu

CS - Did you notice the slight discoloration around the eyes of your main character? I caught it in some shots. It's like greenish areas on certain skin tones. It became really apparent for me when I shot this video with the GH2 as the A cam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ocgAUs6U0

Maybe in my vid the white background and even lighting accentuates that problem. It's strange.

May 4, 2014 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lane

If I was the CEO of Panasonic, I would buy this film and immediately take it down. Then tell these "filmmakers" to stop using the GH4.

May 2, 2014 at 2:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

C Jackal

+1 ... dead on

May 2, 2014 at 3:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

You love it really, go on admit it.

May 2, 2014 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

jamesgh2

No no all the camera manfuctures allway hide most hideous noobs to promote their new cameras. Allways. And we must allway wait long time for something like this to find out what cameras are really capable off. Allways. Crap.

May 3, 2014 at 12:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kuk

Sorry for typos:
No no all the camera manfuctures allways hire most the hideous noobs to promote their new cameras. Allways. And we must allways wait long long time for something like this to find out what cameras are really capable off. Allways. Crap.

May 3, 2014 at 12:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kuk

Oh gawd, another paid off BMD/Canon person takes a swipe at anything Panasonic, Makes me chuckle. Personally, it made me smile and a great way to review a camera rather than the usual drivel served up by you so called professionals commenting here. Have you seen some of the shit and tired old bollocks you guys have put up? I have.
Observe, its had loads of good comments on Vimeo but NOT one single decent one here cuz you're all so far up your own backsides to think straight.

THERE ARE NO RULES. AND IT LOOKS FUCKING GREAT. PERIOD.

May 3, 2014 at 8:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

dr dark

+1. This community has literally been filled by the mob mentality. The ones complaining didn't see it on a nice calibrated monitor, never shot on a GH2 and most likely don't even own a camera. The update to this forum cannot come any sooner.

I'm still waiting for all the haters to post up a short narrative that they shot with their GH4. And not a shot of a river or trees or a main street with people walking.

May 3, 2014 at 10:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge Cayon

Hehe cool down with your bitchin. I have GH2 and I love it. I never owned a Canon video DSLR ;P
I was only refering to that manufaturers are doing very bad job with their first videos to promote their new cameras and not that GH4 is crap. :) English in not my 1st language so sometimes its hard for me to explain what I want to say. :)

May 3, 2014 at 10:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kuk

I TOTALLY disagree with these comments. Its really fun film. He did say it was a pastiche - have you seen the quality of original Le Casse?

May 3, 2014 at 8:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael Parr

Yeah, Canon should do that with some 5Diii stuff I've seen---especially when it's been side by side with a GH2.

May 4, 2014 at 12:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Panasonic did a great job of increasing the resolution to 4k but there doesn't seem to be any improvements made in other areas such as dynamic range.

May 2, 2014 at 2:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Philip

Made with spirit but also a distinct lack of talent. Shows extremely sharp resolution and nothing else.

May 2, 2014 at 2:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael

What Ansel Adams said about "sharp photos of fuzzy ideas," applies here. I wasted five minuets of my life before I stopped watching. Meh!

May 2, 2014 at 7:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

c.d.embrey

Shame. You missed a great ending.

May 3, 2014 at 9:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny Myast

Lighten up!!!! Lets see you do something better in a coupla days flat and turn it around this quick. Good test. Keep up the good work Nick. Ignore these puritanical precious people who will never leave their little dark holes unless they surface here to make a cutting remark. They're just jealous they didn't think of doing something like it. Or they couldn't.

May 3, 2014 at 9:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny Myast

4K...oh my lord, nothing else matters. Not quality of direction, lighting, acting...not dynamic range or clarity.

4K!

Nile Steffers

May 2, 2014 at 9:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

Fool you.

May 2, 2014 at 7:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nile Steffers

I support everything on this site, and I support these filmmakers as they have passion, but their talent is absolutely devastating. This video doesn't do the camera justice at all. 4K is just a resolution... it doesn't make you a better filmmaker.

May 2, 2014 at 3:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

Wonderful. Had me in stitches. Well done Nick. Ignore the twats here.

May 2, 2014 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nile Steffers

lemme guess, Everybody Loves Raymond & Big Bang Theory are probably in your Queue on your DVR?

May 3, 2014 at 12:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

Oh no you di'''nt!

May 3, 2014 at 5:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

thecouchguy

Stick to the Simpsons fella.

May 3, 2014 at 9:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny Myast

oh my lord.

pure turd

so we still have ZERO footage that shows this camera can produce a quality image.

who would buy the gh4?

May 2, 2014 at 4:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

greg pattwrson

I actually think there are a few, they just haven't gotten as much attention. This for example, I think looks quite good: https://vimeo.com/groups/gh4k/videos/92681532
But things like this get less attention because they don't have GH4 all over the title and aren't test videos...

May 2, 2014 at 10:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ryan

thanks ryan. looks interesting

May 3, 2014 at 12:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

greg pattwrson

Sadly, the film is actually way above what an average quality of videos coming out of it will be when the camera becomes available. There will be tons of unbearably bad 4K videos everywhere soon. Should Panasonic really worry about this video being released ? Absolutely not because it is more than what they can hope an average video shot with it could be.

May 2, 2014 at 4:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Jack

Before then there were tons of unbearably bad 35mm or 16mm footage, then years of unbearably bad video footage and now you got loads of 4K. Wow what a surprise. :) OMG that was allways the same! People love to forget their past and remember only what was best. How boring.

May 3, 2014 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kuk

There still hasn't been any footage from the GH4 that was carefully planned, lit, and graded. I did see some nice wedding footage that was beautiful. But a wedding isn't a 100% controlled environment. We still haven't seen what a GH4 will do at its best. This 2 day shoot was hastily put together.

The critical, high expectations of this hastily put together 2 day shoot in the comments from many here is a reflection of those commenters and not of the camera and its shooter.

May 4, 2014 at 12:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Ironically this video seals my decision to not get this camera and instead go for a magic lantern mkIII.This is a great example of how little 4k matters when that's all you have going for you. Of course the shooters are largely to blame for it looking so terrible but even so, everything about this footage screams amateur video and I hated the look and feel of it.

May 2, 2014 at 4:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stephen

And I'm sure there are poor exampled of 5D Mk. III ML RAW footage, as well (though, perhaps not as much, due to the higher barrier of entry).
My point is to not let one bad video spoil the camera. Or, even if there are a whole slew of -- or even a majority of -- bad videos produced by people using the GH4, why should that stop someone with actual knowledge, technical prowess, and solid artistic vision from using it?
A tool is a tool, and the GH4 is a relatively low-priced tool for producing high resolution video at manageable file sizes and with readily available media. People who know what they're doing can use such a tool to make great work; only a fool would turn away good tools /solely/ because of the bad work of others.

Obviously, there are many technical differences between the GH4 and 5D Mk. III w/ ML RAW, so a smart filmmaker will pick whichever tool suits their job best. Separate the tool from the user, is all I'm saying.

May 2, 2014 at 5:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mr Blah

May 2, 2014 at 10:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ryan

Is it me, or is this Short Film ridiculously bad??? If there was a Golden Raspberry Award for Short Film, this would win it, HANDS DOWN. Seriously bad. PLEASE remove the GH4 Tag before you take the entire Panasonic Company down.

May 2, 2014 at 4:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Zack

Are you paid by Canon or BMD? Its a brilliantly funny film. Show us your shit!

May 3, 2014 at 8:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nile Steffers

A hack camera made by a hack "filmmaker". This is literally just the gear industry trying to sell you their new gear. Not an actual movie

May 2, 2014 at 4:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

Unbelievably bad. Why post this video? The aquarium video is better, but still videoish, and it doesn't look like this is the right tool for narrative filmmaking.

May 2, 2014 at 4:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert

I'll wait for the usual filmmakers to make a movie with this, before I render judgement.

May 2, 2014 at 4:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

moebius22

Oh dear!

May 3, 2014 at 9:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny Myast

Good resolution. Can't say much more than that. =\

May 2, 2014 at 4:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Really shot terribly. Doesn't deserve to be on this site

May 2, 2014 at 5:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

criles

Clearly this is a parody. ...and quickly made. rushing to judgement is rash even if the shots are not as you may have chosen. I appreciate that they shared it with us a sit is telling on the strengths and weaknesses of the device.

May 2, 2014 at 5:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think this video is a smear campaign to bring down Panasonic. Possibly orchestrated by Blackmagic, Canon and maybe even Bolex.

May 2, 2014 at 6:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

The movie is horrible , the GH4 4k looks like bad video. Why post this?

May 2, 2014 at 7:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pete

WOW Good Bad and the ugly, would be LTAO.

May 2, 2014 at 8:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The BIGGEST problem is the pacing. If he had crammed everything into a three minute film, he could have passed a lot of the flaws off as "quirkiness." At first, I thought the car chase was spoofing 70's movies because of the deliberate (?) bad foley and focus missteps. After four minutes, I was waaaay more focused on the bad filmmaking. I forgot the reason I was watching.

May 2, 2014 at 9:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Harrison Jones

Great that its provided so much interest. Its a great film. Hilarious.

May 3, 2014 at 9:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny Myast

Whassup?

May 3, 2014 at 11:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Indiana Ford

These are words to live by everyone. "Be hardy in you approbation and lavish in your praise. Look at for what it is. A review with a new spin on it. Which was done quickly to get it out to all of you so can be informed. Don't bash the man for this, he is doing you a favor.

May 2, 2014 at 11:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Al vanitio giodamo

Yea, that was pretty horrific and I couldn't even call it film making, regardless if it was shot in 2 days or not. That said, I was impressed with some of the footage from this camera. I'd like to know what settings were used for some of the shots and which lenses. Other than that, I literally had to skip 80% of whatever that was which drained my life force.

May 2, 2014 at 11:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick has done so many useful stuff for the GH2 & other Lumix hacks. I think he deserves more credit than a few of you here. If he was given time to do something Im sure some of the rushed mistakes would have been avoided. I count 5 scenes in this mini movie and one long ending. Thats actually not bad going if you take into consideration writing it, planning it, sorting locations, getting actors to rehearse their lines, filming it, editing it. Half graded ok. Hang on a minute I gotta say Im impressed! And it is really funny in places. Great achievement.

May 3, 2014 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM