We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

July 9, 2014

Want a Cheaper Version of the Speed Booster? Say Hello to the Excell+1 from Fotodiox Pro

One of the most sought-after tools in video production these days is the Metabones Speed Booster, a tool which absolutely lives up its claims of making your lenses faster and wider, thus eliminating the dreaded crop factor from small sensor cameras like the Panasonic GH4, while giving you an additional stop of light. One of the problems that most low-budget filmmakers have with the Speed Booster, however, is that it's not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. At $490 for the BMPCC Nikon version (and even more for the Canon EF adapter), you're shelling out half the price of the camera just for an adapter. Luckily, Fotodiox Pro has just released the Excell+1 Micro 4/3 adapter for Nikon and Canon FD lenses at just a fraction of that price.

First, here's the launch video from Fotodiox that introduces the Excell+1.

And here's the chart from the video that shows how the Excell+1 effects the focal length on different formats.

In spite of the incredible price, there are some drawbacks to the new Excell+1 adapter. First and foremost is the fact that you're limited to Micro 4/3 as your base format, while only having the ability to adapt Nikon or Canon FD lenses to your camera. For people who are heavily invested in Canon EF glass, or for people who are shooting on formats other than Micro 4/3, the Excell+1 is not for you -- that is, unless Fotodiox continues to release new versions of the adapter with new mounts and formats.

At this point, we have no idea as to whether or not the internal elements of the Excell+1 are of similar quality to the Metabones Speed Booster, and whether or not there's a difference in image quality between the two products. There are some other lower-priced Speed Booster-like products out there, though quality can vary pretty significantly. At first glance, this seems like an excellent product at an almost unbelievable price, but there's no way to know for sure until we see how the quality of the Excell+1 stands up to competing products.

While it's available from B&H for $160, the Excell+1 will run you only $140 direct from Fotodiox.

Links:

Does the Excell+1 speed adaptor work with other vintage lenses such as the Konica Hexanon, which I noticed is visibly similar to the Canon FD in your video? Also will it work with an electronic Lumix 14-140 kit lens?
Thanks.

July 9, 2014

The 14-140 is a micro 4/3 lens, so it would not mount to the adapter. These focal reducing adapters are to conform the optics of lenses that were designed for larger sensors to smaller sensor cameras. Also, this one in particular is mechanical and could not communicate with the controls of an electronic lens.

July 9, 2014

Will this adapter work on a Cannon 60d

July 11, 2014

Tyler

No Tyler it will not

July 11, 2014

Tyler

The correct answer here is: "friends do not let friends buy Canon!"

There is a HUGE advantage to using mirrorless systems, such as it allows you to use Focal Reducers such as this article is about! Though personally I would (and do) use a RJ Lens Turbo over this.

July 15, 2014

Sweet! Can't wait to see some tests with these. Hope they make a Minolta version!

July 9, 2014

von

As great as the metabones speed booster is, it has many issues. Sometimes the aperture is actually higher than what you've set it (you have to stop down and back up to fix), and the softening of every lens kills me as well. Been thinking a lot lately of going back to the regular metabones for my FS700 / Canon lenses

July 9, 2014

andrew

my point being.... (before accidentally publishing) Id be VERY hesitant to try anything more budget than the metabones version as its already pretty problematic.

July 9, 2014

andrew

I have a cheap Chinese knockoff and it is pin sharp on a GH4. There's no reason to believe this adapter could not be as well.

July 9, 2014

Joseph Moore

Pin sharp Wide open? Witch brand?

Yes, please share!

Tom

Besides metabones what other speed boosters are out there? does anyone have a companies name?

July 11, 2014

Tyler

Mitakon ... usually sold via e-Bay.

July 11, 2014

DLD

The new Lens Turbo II's are actually really damn good. I also prefer the way they lock to the camera body compared to the metabones, like a PL mount.

July 12, 2014

I had similar quirks on my EF speed booster for the FS700, as well as some soft corners. The Nikon speed booster for MFT on the other hand has been totally sharp. Also, as it is mechanical, it is perfectly reliable. A stepless aperture ring on every lens is a big bonus for me too.

July 9, 2014

Thanks Jay. I was just wondering about the Speedbooster for Nikon on MFT. I have a ton of Nikon lenses and am about to pick up a GH4

William

This is why people should only buy Nikon F mount lenses and never Canon EF!!

Is just quite simply the smart thing to do :-) To "future proof" your lens investment.

July 15, 2014

The official Metabones Speedboosters, when used on the appropriate camera's, actually make the image perceptibly sharper, so I don't know where you get the idea that they make them softer comes from. These knock-offs on the other hand...

Jules

If you're talking about revealing corner softness of a lens that was previous hidden from a crop, then that is another thing entirely.

Jules

The RJ Lens Turbo is fantastic (I use one) and even cheaper, you can buy it here and read its reviews:

July 15, 2014

When will a version be ready for Canon EF lenses to BMPCC?

July 9, 2014

John Stewart

Thanks for the info. Can't believe they did not come out with Excell +1 for Canon EOS Lenses. I read on Metabones website which lens work it theirs, and I own a version 1 of a lens thats on their list, But there's no indication if my lens will work. I have emailed them 3 times and yet no reply. I think I am going to go with a RedRock Micro Live. At least every time I have emailed them they got back with me.
John

John

Christian

is the aperture ring is smooth or not? need to know... any clue?

miznul nasim

Hi Miznul,

Sean here from Fotodiox. I filmed and edited the launch video. The aperture ring is de-clicked, so you can smoothly adjust the aperture during a shot.

July 10, 2014

How long til you have a Canon EF to MFT?

Anon

Sean here from Fotodiox. I filmed and edited the launch video. We've already had a huge response asking for an EF version, so one may be in the works soon.

July 10, 2014

Has there been any discussion of adapting M42 to M4/3? I have a pile of excellent M42 glass and I'm nervous about buying an ebay special to adapt them to a Panasonic GH series camera.

JC

Do you have a rough time frame when it might be available for EOS lenses? I was very surprised it was not released the same time the Nikon adapter was released, with Canon EOS lenses being at least or more half the market.

John

John

I'm surprised it is not obvious to folks why Nikon F adapters get released way before Canon EF ones... is because Canon is a pain in the ass to work with if you're trying to design an adapter for them!

This is why I keep on repeating over and over..... people should buy Nikon F mount lenses, not Canon EF! This holds true almost no matter what brand camera you might be using (Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Panasonic/etc...).

July 15, 2014

You would think with all the Canon EOS glass out there, that adapter would have been a no brainer, and since Metabones just released theirs it would be a good time to release Ecell +1 for EOS lenses at a fraction of a price. Guess they thought more people want to use Canon FD lenses. I wondering if they are hiring for Product Development because the first thing I would have done was, hey why not make one for Canon EOS.

JOHN

John

If you guys do create an Excell +1 EF to EF, i'd not only buy one... i'd preorder 2!

July 11, 2014

Justin Anderson

All those Fotodiox adapters I have purchased over Ebay have being such crap. Their fit is poor and sloppy, locks are of very bad design. Maybe these new ones are better...

Charlie

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. All my adapters are Fotodiox and they all work pretty well. Went with some random ebay one and didnt have the same luck

Chris

With the T-Stop being the definite amount of light coming through the lens, what is there to profit from speedwise instead of a smaller DoF? if there's actually is, can anyone give a good explanation?

Moritz D.M

I am not 100% sure of your question, but I will try. These focal reducers DO NOT make the depth of field more shallow, it only changes the amount of light gathered by 1 stop. A 50mm lens has the same depth of field whether it is on a 5dIII, GH4, or BMPCC with a focal reducer. This allows you to get more light to your sensor without getting a shallower depth of field and allow more to be in focus. If you use a 50mm f1.8 on a 5dIII with an ISO of 800, you can use that same lens on an APS-C with a focal reducer and that will give you a 50mm f1.2. The depth of field is the same as on the 5dIII, but you get 1 more stop of light, so you need to either stop down the lens by 1 stop to get a deeper depth of field or lower the ISO by 1 stop to 400 and get a cleaner image.

Thomas Barthle

The purpose of the speedbooster is to allow the likes of a "50mm" lens to be used on MFT while more or less preserving the same field of view as that of a 50mm lens on S35 - So now we have it both ways, we have the field of view AND the shallower depth of field of a 50MM. Without speedbooster we are forced to use a 24mm lens (for the same FOV), and we know what that means for depth of field.

William

Hi guys. I have a couple of questions about this adaptor:

1. Does it fit on a GH4?
2. And, does it allow me to use all my Canon EF lenses?
3. Does it allow auto-focus and auto-aperture when used?

Sorry if these question seem easy but I'm still confused as to what these adapters advantages and disadvantages!

Cheers!

Saad

1. I don't know
2. definitely no, only Canon FD
3. no

Thomas Barthle

Thanks, Thomas! :)

Saad

Hi Saad,

Sean here from Fotodiox. I filmed and edited the launch video. The Excell +1 works well on the GH3 and GH4. We currently aren't offering an EF version of the adapter, and no, the adapter is entirely mechanical, so it has no electronic control over the lens.

July 10, 2014

Thanks a million, Sean. I will be watching more from you guys and hope that an automatic version will come out.

Cheers!

July 12, 2014

Saad

What about the GH2?

July 13, 2014

Marc

Maybe they could share some sample pictures to illustrate the optical quality of the adapter.

July 10, 2014

Hi, are you planning to release the Excell+1 with Canon EF-S and EF lens mount in the future? Most of my lens are EF and EF-S and I want to use them with my BMPCC. Thank you!

Gerardo

I really hope so! why on earth would they do FD glass, everyone has EF...

kevin

It's hard to control electronic aperture of EF lenses. It has taken metabones forever. They only have FD for m43 right now too.

Ryan

FD glass is considered comparable to old Nikon glass, only it is much cheaper. Canon screwed themselves by changing their mount to an EF mount whereas Nikon kept their mount pretty much the same, hence the reason why you can use old Nikon glass on almost any Nikon camera and only need a simple adapter to use Nikon glass on Canon EF mount cameras. Until now you could only use Canon FD glass with an expensive adapter that made your image 2 stops darker and doubled the focal length of your lens making it mostly useless for such light-sensitive sensors these days.(a 50mm f1.8 would essentially become a 100mm f3.6).

Drew

Focal reducers dont make the depth of field more shallower, it only changes the amount of light by a stop – 35mm lens has the same depth of field whether it is on a Red or the award winning GH4.

My name is Gene...