August 6, 2014

Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve 11 is Finally Out of Beta. Download the Release Version Now

Resolve 11 EditingAt NAB 2014, Blackmagic Design announced DaVinci Resolve 11, and it not only contained a handful of fantastic new color correction and organization features, but also upwards of 70 new editing features that brought Resolve's timeline trimming functionality into line with many of today's popular NLEs. After a month and a half in public beta testing, the final release version of DaVinci Resolve 11 was made available today.

Just in case you haven't seen the videos which showcase the new features in Resolve 11, here they are one more time.

Of course, the most talked-about aspect of the new Resolve is its increased editing abilities. As you can see above, Resolve has some tremendously powerful and intuitive editing features, especially when it comes to trimming content in the timeline. For anybody not wanting to invest in an NLE, or pay month to month, Resolve Lite could very well provide most, if not all, of the basic editing functionality that you need. With that said, it's still lacking some of the major editing features, most notably multi-cam editing, that would make it comparable to other NLEs on the market.

As always, DaVinci Resolve comes in two distinct flavors, Resolve Lite, which is free, and the full version, which comes in at $1000. The free version is an incredibly powerful piece of software, and it contains all of the same color correction and editing features of the full version with the exceptions of stereoscopic workflow capabilities, remote grading, and temporal noise reduction. The free version also limits you to UHD resolution (instead of full 4K) and one processing GPU or one REDRocket card.

The new software can be downloaded right now from the links below or over on the Blackmagic Design support page.

Links:

I love Resolve but, the beta version of 11 didn't recognize files from my Sony EX1.
Not that those files can be pushed around very much but, I hope this version fixed that anomaly.

August 6, 2014 at 1:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

That camera is 7+ years old... who cares?

I bet it doesn't recognize MiniDV either. :D

August 6, 2014 at 2:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom

The dude who can't get his files to work cares.

August 6, 2014 at 6:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You'll probably need to use something like XDCAM transfer, the native wrapper sony used for XDCAMHD is totally incorrect, its an MPEG2 file in an MP4 container, XDCAM transfer will rewrap to MOV for you, I think resolve will then accept the files.

August 6, 2014 at 2:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ash Mckenzie

Have you tried ClipWrap on the Mac?

August 6, 2014 at 8:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

While I appreciate the suggestions, it's not that I really need to do it. And, if I do, I know the workarounds. I was just mentioning that beta 11 couldn't read them. No biggie. And thanks Tom for your very helpful comment! So, 7 years is the cutoff, huh? Three more years for the Alexa and then it's out? Too bad.

August 7, 2014 at 1:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Does this version interpret Magic Lantern DNG correctly (not super-dark)?

August 6, 2014 at 2:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I didn't have problems reading MLV RAW in the last beta version. Exposures seemed to be good.

August 6, 2014 at 3:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ken

same with me.. no problems using MLV (converted to DNG with MLVMystic)

August 6, 2014 at 4:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

yeahplease

Hmm weird- you interpreted as BMD Film?

August 7, 2014 at 8:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Its great to see the efforts to improve an already amazing software. Lets see how the new editing features compete with premiere cc, FCPX and Avid. Just finished a video graded in Da Vinci shot on bmpcc with metabones speedbooster and nikon 50mm 1.4 , 28mm 2.8 lenses. Link: http://youtu.be/p007ArcmC3s

August 6, 2014 at 3:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kei Kosonoy

Good work! Looks fantastic in black & white. If you want rich colors (without looking over saturated) pick this LUT for the BMCC and BMPCC: http://hanshijmering.com/downloads/bmcc_luts/

August 6, 2014 at 7:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Leopold

Like the film noir look, it works nicely with the mood of the video. Is it just me or is the audio slightly out of sync?

How are you liking the BMPCC with the Metabones? I've got 2 sets on order and waiting for them to come in, can't wait. I'll be using with the Nikon 28mm, 50mm and 85mm. Might get the Rokinon 8mm Cine Lens for wide stuff as even the 28 won't be wide enough for some things I want to do...

August 6, 2014 at 4:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael

Thanks Leopold and Michael. The metabones helped a lot, the crop factor of the bmpcc its something serios, i definitely recommend using it.

August 6, 2014 at 10:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kei Kosonoy

I don't think the editing features are meant to compete with any other NLE. I see it as a way to make simple changes after sending it to resolve from the NLE. This means less round trips and you can use resolve more as a finishing tool.

August 8, 2014 at 3:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian

Anyone had experience using presets with Resolve? Wondering about performance.

August 6, 2014 at 3:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anyone else having screen resizing issues with this new Resolve on a Macbook Pro??? Ver 10 didn't have this problem but whenever I switch between say edit and colour after startup, or at anytime between full view and enhanced view (option + f) the view extends off the screen.

Its really frustrating.

August 6, 2014 at 4:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I actually had that same problem in v10. Never figured out how to fix it. Just had to keep pressing the "+" button whenever I opened up a session.

August 6, 2014 at 10:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Most like its your screen not being 1680x1050, which is the minimum resolution for Resolve

August 6, 2014 at 2:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

I was having the same problem. In "view" select "show window Frame" (it's all the way on the bottom). The interface will change in size allowing you to access buttons in the upper right hand corner. Select the green "+" one and it will properly resize the interface, revealing the needed tabs on the bottom ;)

August 7, 2014 at 4:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

I found the problem. If I turn off the gallery it all works fine and doesnt resize when I change modes or option+f.

August 7, 2014 at 10:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

How do you turn off the gallery? I've tried resizing the window frame with the (+) button, but am unable to access the bottom portions of any of the lower windows when doing so (they get covered up by the panel buttons).

August 7, 2014 at 4:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

teejay

Sorry guys, just figured it out. On a 15" Retina display, one can scale the resolution in system preferences to 1920 x 1200. At that resolution, the UI works perfectly. Hope that helps anyone else who is having similar issues.

August 7, 2014 at 4:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

teejay

man this UI is so buggy. I have wanted to use Resolve for so long now and yet i can never get it to run right on my MBP... having all sorts of scaling issues over here and might just have to go back to speed grade.

Tried using the monitor scaling fix but just can't seem to get it to be usable over here :-/

August 8, 2014 at 1:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

steve

Hi

No screen resizing issues here, no DNG issues. Here is one of my first tests with Davinci Resolve 11. This is a video to use Canon 5D mk3 and dual-iso to extend dynamic range. Enjoy :-)

August 6, 2014 at 5:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Just downloaded right after seeing this and still have screen resizing issues on 15" MacBook pro...

August 6, 2014 at 10:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Raul

Aren't you losing a bunch of info by keeping the RAW interpreter in Rec 709 color space (the default unless you changed the project defaults to BMD Film) ?

August 10, 2014 at 3:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Why is it still on Beta on the BmD site but not here ?

August 6, 2014 at 5:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tomy

Am I the only one here who thinks this looks just like FCPX, but with better trimming, and av channels???

August 6, 2014 at 8:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matt

Yes, the editing is now more like FCPx, but FCPx is more "user friendly" in the edit screens. However the grading tools are superb. In Resolve 11 they also added an "ACR" like screen with highlights, shadows, clarity etc (but they named it different).

August 6, 2014 at 8:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I was wondering, does this version allow individual, 96k audio clips to be dropped in? Resolve 10 never acknowledged isolated audio clips, regardless of the data rate.

August 6, 2014 at 9:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dylan

Individual clips, yes, but not 96khz. 48khz works fine though.

August 6, 2014 at 9:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I REALLY wish they would fix the waveform monitor/RGB parade graphs. They've been broken since Resolve 9 and, apparently, no one else has noticed or has and doesn't much care. From what I'm told, they behave incorrectly in UltraScope as well. I was told it was on the list of things to get fixed by a Resolve product manager back in the middle of March of this year. He said it was on a very long list of things and, while not at the top, it wasn't forever away and to give it a few releases. Well, that was 5 months ago. I'm a patient guy but it's wearing a little thin on this one.

To see what I mean, download this graphic - http://bit.ly/1vaB3Ea - and load it in Resolve and your NLE of choice. The WFM/RGB parade SHOULD show horizontal lines corresponding to the black BG at 0 and a horizontal line corresponding to the square, the same width of the square, at the 50% brightness point. Your NLE will be correct. Resolve shows these lines as expected but also adds two vertical lines at either side of the line representing the gray square. THESE SHOULD NOT BE THERE.

Premiere CS6 screenshot (correct): http://bit.ly/UVRL9C
Resolve 11 screenshot (incorrect): http://bit.ly/1y5sHJZ

Resolve's scopes have a problem with vertical (or near vertical) lines in the image. It adds those vertical lines in the scopes that don't belong there. Haven't you ever wondered what's up with all those white vertical lines in Resolve's scopes?

Like in this pic: http://bit.ly/1qWHEAk

That's a bug, folks. I guess since no one is complaining about it, they're taking their time fixing it but a lot of people rely on Resolve's scopes for their work. They should know the scope aren't behaving properly.

August 6, 2014 at 9:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

Does this translate into any real issues while color grading? Have you any other tests that show off this bug to prove that this isn't a one-time case? Obviously it isn't that big of an issue that this unrealistic picture reports bad RGB information when something more important like actual footage is fine seeing as how many people have used Resolve for color grading.

August 6, 2014 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scott Walter

Because you can't tell what an image is by looking at its waveform on a waveform monitor (in most cases), I chose the simplest image (I guess that's what you're calling unrealistic) for demonstration purposes. If you know how a WFM works, you should know what the graph of a gray square on black should look like. You can't tell it's a square by looking at the waveform but you can tell it's all one brightness.

Resolve is adding detail to the graph that isn't actually there and it shows up as white vertical lines, like in the picture from BMD's own website shows. Sometimes, the white portions become super intense in areas where accuracy may be crucial. Can you still color grade with this bug? You can. The bug doesn't show up for every image. However, wouldn't you at least like to know what you're using to make decisions isn't entirely accurate? Wouldn't you like to know what to watch out for and/or ignore? I bet everyone who's graded something in Resolve since version 9 would answer yes to that.

A scope that isn't accurate kinda defeats the main purpose for having a scope.

August 6, 2014 at 10:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

What's the difference between UHD and full 4k mentionned in the end? I thought UHD was 4k (and prolly 8k aswell). I thought 4k worked on Resolve 11.

August 6, 2014 at 10:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jo

UHD is basically the 4K for consumer use, just like in cinemas you have 2K but at home you have HD.
Same height but 4K is a little wider than UHD.

August 6, 2014 at 10:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

UHD is 3840 x 2160. 4K is 4096 x 2160. And 8K is 7680 × 4320.

August 6, 2014 at 10:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Craig

To add to the confusion 4K is never really screened in 4096x2160 (in cinemas). If it's a 1.85:1 film the resolution is 3996x2160 and if it's a 2.39:1 film it's 4096x1716.
But since you shoot 4K in 4096x2160 you can then crop it to either 1.85:1 or 2.39:1.

August 6, 2014 at 10:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Out of beta? Yes for version 10. Just went to the download page and version 11 is still beta.

Am having many issues with latest version 11 beta. Especially with audio in a FCPX XML to Resolve workflow. I've posted most of my bug reports on the BMD site. Out of GPU memory error popups (2 yr old iMac, need to save pennies for that new mac pro:), and most problematic, the main viewer not refreshing after working for a while(<hour) in the colour page. Only solution has been a complete machine reboot. Really hoping these have been fixed in the release version...

August 6, 2014 at 11:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

eco_bach

August 6, 2014 at 11:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ok, didn't realize the link at the top was different than the official one via the BMD site. Guess they haven't updated yet...

August 6, 2014 at 11:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

eco_bach

i have the full version of resolve 10.5 .....do i get this one for free also?

August 6, 2014 at 11:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yes. Even if you have Resolve 8 or 9.

Wonderful isn't it ? :-)

August 6, 2014 at 2:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stefan Antonescu

Hey,

I can't find to purchase the color palette from the first video (3:20). How it's called so I can order from B&H?

August 6, 2014 at 11:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Danny

There are three different ones supported:
X-Rite ColorChecker
Datacolor SpyderCheckr
DSC Labs SMPTE OneSHot

August 6, 2014 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I just tested it with my DSC Labs OneShot, and it's amazing.

August 6, 2014 at 1:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

I did a quick test with the a7s and resolves colour checker feature. Its just quick and rough. https://vimeo.com/102497735 Let me know what you guys think the best process would be but using the colour checker feature on the first node with the setting slog2 to slog2 (that way the fist node is colour calibrated but no grading on it apart from that) and then on a second node apply an slog2 to rec709 LUT or grade by hand etc.

August 6, 2014 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yeah I haven't played with it a whole lot yet, but that's exactly the way I was planning to lay it out in the nodes.

August 6, 2014 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

Thank you for this video. I'm considering purchasing a color checker now, but I did notice something. After applying the X-rite color checker it seems the reds and magentas are blown out. I'm reading a couple of Amazon reviews of the X-rite that complain about the same thing when using their calibration software. Does the new built-in feature of Da Vinci mean that you don't need the X-rite software profile and that Da Vinci will apply its own included profile? I'd really love to buy the X-rite Passport but if the reds/magentas are indeed blown out like I'm seeing then I don't know if it'd be worth the money.

Thanks

August 6, 2014 at 11:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex

Anyone know of a detailed tutorial on Resolve 11 (or one that is in the works?) Really like the program but have never been able to fully grasp it and take advantage of the powerful features so usually just resort to grading inside FCPX.

August 6, 2014 at 12:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

OK that color matching tool with the presets for chip charts is SO awesome!

August 6, 2014 at 1:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

I noted in the press release they had a new feature for:

Dual monitor user interface support:

does this mean i can use 2 monitors without needing 2 GPUs? I certainly hope so :D

August 6, 2014 at 3:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kevin

I'll be using this for editing and grading. The editing features seem to have everything I need for basic editing and being able to grade within the same program will help build a smoother, easier workflow :)

August 6, 2014 at 4:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

stephen

I've been using the beta the last month or so. My main gripe right now is that there's no way to EQ audio... so I still need to use another application to do that. Was hoping to do simple projects right inside resolve without having to export and use other software. So if I'm going to export stuff, I've found I may as well stick to my normal Premiere editing workflow. They say they support audio effects, but only in openfx, and not industry standard VST or AU. I've never seen any audio plugins in openfx so that decision really makes no sense.

August 6, 2014 at 8:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Clayton Arnall

I downloaded 11 lite and I cant seem to figure out how to set it to the editor interface. Help!

August 6, 2014 at 11:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

michael

Im creating timelines and im not seeing them anywhere. Is this a glitch?

August 6, 2014 at 11:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

michael

Figured it out. I couldnt see the bottom of the program. Theres a resizing issue. Im running a 15inch macbook pro.

August 6, 2014 at 11:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

michael

@Micheal You can use this program http://www.quickresapp.com/

August 7, 2014 at 9:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Leo

Click the button to turn off the gallery and resizing is fixed. Its on the left around the middle.

August 9, 2014 at 3:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Weird keyboard shortcuts in editing.

August 18, 2014 at 5:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Y

The blackmagic site is only showing me a beta download, am I missing something?

August 25, 2014 at 1:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM