January 14, 2015

Distributing a Film Without Name Talent? Here's How the Indie Drama "Mount Joy" is Doing It

Katie Hyde on Distributing the Independent Drama "Mount Joy"
Follow along with actor/producer Katie Hyde Lewars as she discusses steps towards directly-distributing her independent drama Mount Joy.

Premiering at Santa Barbara 2014, Mount Joy is an independent drama about a local band in Lancaster, PA preparing itself to go on tour when the lead singer's girlfriend (and band manager) disappears. When we interviewed Mount Joy's director Jack Lewars for our FILMMAKER PASS series last year, he also spoke about the dilemma of not having name talent during the sales process. This seems to be one of the biggest issues that independent films face: How can filmmakers bring new talent and fresh voices to forefront when distributors are mostly just looking for recognizable talent to push the movie?

Most of us won't have name talent attached to our projects at first. We're all trying to discover new ways and new talent to tell our stories, and we're just gonna have to keep pushing through until sales agents get better at recognizing the long-term value of up and coming talent.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Mount Joy's distribution process or catch a screening (if you're in Philadelphia).

Video edited by Anthony Stock

Anyone have any advice for distributing/selling an instructional video over the web and letting people download the digital file. Squarespace? Taxes?

January 15, 2015 at 8:50AM

January 15, 2015 at 3:28PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

I'm hearing a lot about how much help having a celebrity in your movie can give you. I have a film I'm preparing to shoot right now that includes 2 characters (1 major and 1 minor) that are both only heard as voices over the phone. What if I found celebrities to play these characters? Does anyone think that this would help me in any way, at all?

January 15, 2015 at 10:27AM

Yeah, having any sort of name could definitely help with financing, distribution and just general interest in your movie. But unless your script is pretty great and you have the connections, your chances of getting a "name" are pretty slim.

January 15, 2015 at 3:59PM

John Morse
Producer + Director

Jon, yes this will help tremendously with distribution (and film festivals). The company I am working with may be able to help. Shoot an email to me at LenaC1way@yahoo.com telling me a little more about it and I will connect you.

January 16, 2015 at 5:22AM, Edited January 16, 5:22AM

Great interview Micah and Katie, thanks! Would love to hear some actual numbers or estimates about working with aggregators. With the big upfront payment and no % taken, are we talking hundreds (I doubt it), thousands or tens of thousands?

January 15, 2015 at 3:56PM

John Morse
Producer + Director

Definitely glad I watched this. Now onto learning as much about aggregators as I can.

January 15, 2015 at 9:20PM