April 8, 2015

Canon C300 Mark II Now Official with Internal 4K & 15 Stops of Dynamic Range

Canon C300 Mark II with LCD
There has been much talk about the C300 Mark II, but it has finally been announced.

[Update]: Scheduled for a September 2015 release, you can now pre-order the C300 Mark II at $16,000. The EF version is here and the PL version is here (both are the same price).

The Canon C300 has been a workhorse for lots of productions, from docs, to TV, to even feature films, but considering its age, it was only a matter of time before Canon was going to announce a new version with specs that better reflected what the competition was offering, including internal 4K (and external 4K RAW). We got that today and more, including a claimed 15 stops of dynamic range, which is right up there (and possibly surpassing) the best cinema cameras out there. It also features Canon's own flavor of the H.264 AVC codec called XF-AVC, which is wrapped in an MXF (as the previous C300 had done).

The body is very similar to the old C300, but it has a redesigned top handle with new LCD/audio design (which looks more sturdy). Canon also has decided to allow the mounts to be changed between EF and PL (and also locking EF), but these will need to be replaced by Canon themselves.

They've also gone with two CFast 2.0 card slots (and one SD Card slot) instead of Compact Flash. These are obviously much more expensive right now, but prices are coming down, and they ensure the speeds needed for 4K. The SD slot is capable of recording 2K/HD in 4:2:0 35Mbps/24Mbps Long GOP.

Canon C300 Mark II Back

Thanks to Newsshooter and cinema5D for the scoop on these, here is a look at the specs of the C300 Mark II (these will be updated as we learn more):

• 9.84 megapixel Super35 CMOS sensor (rolling shutter, but twice read speed than previous C300)
  • Dual Digic DV5 Processors
  • 4K/UHD up to 30fps Internally at 10-bit 4:2:2
  • 2K/HD 10/12-bit 4:4:4 up to 60fps, Cropped 2K/HD mode up to 120fps
  • XF-XAVC Intra 410/225/220/110Mbps and XF-XAVC Long GOP 50Mbps
  • XF-XAVC Long GOP 35Mbps and 24Mbps for Proxy
  • 15 Stops of Dynamic Range
  • 4K RAW Externally (Can record 4K internally and 4K RAW externally at the same time)
  • While shooting 4K, can record proxies in 8-bit 4:2:0 at 35mbps or 24mbps in 2K/HD
  • Flatter Canon Log Gamma 2 (and Canon Wide DR)
  • Baked in Looks Option Allows Matching the Image of Other Cameras Internally
  • ISO Up to 102,400
  • Dual CFast 2.0 Card Slots
  • Dual 3G-SDI & HDMI (Unclear if the HDMI can output 4K)
  • Supports BT.2020, Canon Cinema Gamut, and DCI-P3 Color Spaces
  • XF-AVC intra for 4K, and XF-AVC Intra/Long GOP and Proxy options for 2K/Full HD
  • Internally ND up to 10 stops in expansion mode
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF (now covering approx. 80% of the frame vertically and 80% horizontally)
  • Audio: 4 Ch. 16/24 bit and 48 kHz, Built-in mic for scratch track
  • Rotating 4" LCD
  • OLED EVF 1024 x 576
  • Uses new batteries different from the Original C300
  • Weight: 4 lbs. Body only, Over 7 lbs. with everything
  • Availability: September 2015
  • Price: Listed at $16,000 (may or may not change upon release)
Canon C300 Mark II with LCD Back

It looks like Canon checked off a ton of boxes on this one, including internal 4K. While it seems like frame rates are limited, I imagine those are probably saved for the new C500 camera which we may also get at NAB 2015. Cropped 2K at 120fps isn't bad, but it is outclassed by the Sony FS7 which can go all the way to 180fps, and can also do 4K at 60fps. Clearly this is a step up from the original C300, which was limited to 60fps at 720p. Getting 4K RAW in this model also makes a lot of sense, though you will need an external recorder to get it.

Canon C300 Mark II Body Only

It's unclear if the HDMI can output 4K, but we will probably find out soon enough. Canon likely has more up their sleeve for NAB, so we will have to wait and see. Looks like list price for this was $20K, so the $16K should actually be the street price as that's what the pre-order says now (but again, it's not impossible for this to go lower, but $16K looks like the price).

Canon C300 Mark II Front

Either way, regardless of specifications, expect this one to be a workhorse just like the last one.

Out of my price range but I wouldn't be surprised to see this camera everywhere next year. There's no denying that Canon nailed the workflow and ease of use with these cameras, and many people prioritize those two things above specs. That's their market and it's apparently a pretty big one.

That being said, I'm super duper happy with my GH4 and will be for the foreseeable future.

April 8, 2015 at 1:33AM, Edited April 8, 1:32AM

The specs are great - 444 12 bit internally to a great codec! 15 stops of dynamic range! that Canon skintone and super high ISO - if this thing can handle highlights well, this is going to easily be the Sony F55 killer and compete very well with the Alexa Mini as an amazing lightweight camera - also raw out of it - I think this thing is going to sell like hotcakes. The FS7 is a nice camera, but Sony can't match the beautiful skintones out of the bat of the Canon C300 look. Also a better Clog - that's flatter. It seems like Canon really listened to all the feedback. I am very excited for this camera.

April 8, 2015 at 10:17AM

Ed David
Director of Photography

"F55 killer"

Two years too late in the game for that. It will not TOUCH the F55.

As for the FS7 not being able to match the skin tones of the C300, you need to have your FS7 looked at. FAR SUPERIOR image. The F5 4K sensor in the FS7 kills the C300 HD sensor.

Not sure where you're getting your opinions from sir.

April 8, 2015 at 2:34PM

Jody Eldred
Director/DP

The C300 has a 4k sensor.

August 5, 2015 at 3:51PM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

Dang! This looks even better than FS7 on paper

April 8, 2015 at 1:33AM

Mida Chu
independent filmmaker

Twice the price of the FS7... I hope it delivers

April 8, 2015 at 1:33AM

Looks like the mark II went from 50 Mb/s to 50 MB/s heh heh

April 8, 2015 at 2:04AM

Matthew Devapiriam Emmanuel
Camera Operator

does it use global or rolling shutter?

April 8, 2015 at 2:16AM

Caleb E. Carrow
Director of Photography,

Rolling Shutter, I believe..."Sensor read speed is said to be twice as fast as the original C300. This should lessen the rolling shutter skew effects to the point where most viewers would never notice."

April 8, 2015 at 3:04AM

Steven Moreno
Director/Cinematographer

All of the specs that I had hoped for...

April 8, 2015 at 2:16AM

Steven Moreno
Director/Cinematographer

I just checked the specs again on the fs7. I must be missing something. Are we getting a camera with less specs than the fs7 at double the price?!

Yes, the camera is more than just specs, but Canon could get away with this pricing structure when there was no one else in the market to compete with. Surely this is no longer the case.

April 8, 2015 at 2:18AM

W Ali
Director/writer

So, basically they release a barely-comparable-to-the-fs7 camera - but a year later and for twice the price? And it's even still in this unusable brick form, which every operator I know - hates? That's a fucking joke.

April 8, 2015 at 2:29AM, Edited April 8, 2:29AM

Gleb Volkov
Director of Photography

"Brick form" - ? I've actually always loved the ergonomics and form factor of the C300, it's a dream to use compared to the FS7. I've always thought that was the main selling point of the C300...?

April 8, 2015 at 3:11PM

Matt Carter
VFX Artist / Director / DP / Writer / Composer / Alexa Owner

There's a reason most cinema/broadcast cameras look the way they do - and it's not "nobody thought any better before Canon". Ask any number of professional camera operators to describe a good all-around form factor for a camera - and you'll see nobody will describe a small tall brick. If I must spell it out - balance being the key element for good ergonomics for prolonged shoulder use. Also - correct, intuitive spacing of the interface buttons/switches - I can't count how many times I've hit the wrong button when I couldn't see the side of the camera - since everything is so crammed on the tiny body, and I've shot for hundreds of days on the C300 on features and TV drama. It's understandable - the camera was developed during the "DSLR revolution", based on, well - a DSLR form factor. It just doesn't mean that it's any good. Look at major historic camera manufacturers who know a thing or two about cameramen needs - ARRI, Panavision, Sony, Panasonic, JVC - nobody produces small lightweight tall bricks with tiny viewfinders at the back.

April 9, 2015 at 4:05AM

Gleb Volkov
Director of Photography

Since 4K is the new 1080P Canon decided to keep their old policy! 4K maxed out at 30 fps internally! Until every other camera company add 60 to 120 fps probably canon is going wait and make more money from the Indie maker while the purchase another Canon DSLR! And I am guessing the price range would be around 18-22K!

If they add 60fps in 4K mode and keep the price between 8-10K it would be a great camera otherwise RIP Canon!

April 8, 2015 at 2:41AM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

RIP? I see where you're coming from. But, no way. Many will believe the '15 stops' and move on to say, "Take my money Canon". I'm pretty sure, though, tests will show it doesn't actually have 15 stops. I could eat my words. But 15, a real 15, surely is a lot. It's really hard to believe it.

April 8, 2015 at 11:40PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Looks pretty great to me.

April 8, 2015 at 2:51AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

On the positive side, I like the 15 stops of DR and I'm sure the color science is nice. However, I use 4K 60fps all the time on my FS7, plus Speed Booster makes the 24-105 f4 into a 17-75mm f2.8, which is a really useful range for docs. Plus, the C300 form factor is horrendous. The FS7 is such a joy to shoot with barebones. It makes shooting so fun.

Plus, using CineEI and LC709, you get an very cinematic image with no effort. I think the FS7 is good enough for the price. Plus, I have a feeling the price of a Dragon might be dropping a bit soon. At $16K for a C300 II, if you have to spend an extra $5K to $6K for a Dragon, that's a no-brainer.

April 8, 2015 at 2:54AM

Gene Sung
DP / Director

Call me crazy, but doesn't your speedbooster really just make your 24-105 a 24-105? (i.e., mitigate the crop of the super 35 sensor)?

Either way, glad you're liking your camera :)

April 8, 2015 at 3:25AM

geoff webb
Director, Producer, DOP, Editor

Yes I agree, using the 24-105 with a speedbooster sounds awesome. My FS7 is on the way. While using the speedbooster, are you still experiencing the flicker when changing the iris? If so, any idea if Sony/Metabones will have a fix?

April 8, 2015 at 8:04AM

I can confirm it still flickers, I haven't updated the fs7 to 2.0 yet though.

April 8, 2015 at 1:00PM, Edited April 8, 1:00PM

Gene, the C300 Mk2 is precisely the 2015 version of the C300. Everyone bitched and moaned about that camera's price when it came out... and even today it's still an amazing looking image, with a wonderful form factor for handheld (needs a rig for shoulder though). It's extremely rugged - I brought it though disaster zones, held it outside moving cars, shot in the snow and the rain. I vastly prefer it's form factor to the FS7; and I have owned both. (I had a C300 since release... it's S/N was like... #2). The C300's color science also always looked fantastic, and there's a good reason it remains the #1 rented camera in the world today for all but high end commercial/feature work.

There were other cameras out when the C300 was released that were similar at the same or lower cost (though not nearly as many as today). But what you got for 16K was a no-BS camera that worked without compromise. That's the same thing ARRI sells today. You turn it on, shoot, and you know you will get an amazing image out if it and the camera is a tank.

I always say with gear you can get "fast, cheap, good"... pick two. I didn't make that up, but it's almost aways true. With Canon you get fast and good, but not cheap. With the FS7 you get good and cheap, but not fast because it's kind of a quirky mess to operate until you really get to know it... and then not perfect. The Dragon... I don't have anything good to say about it but I do think the Red Weapon design will largely alleviate the remaining issues.

Don't get me wrong. I love my FS7... it's got an amazing image as well and all you really need tech-wise for half the price of this new C300. (I expect the C300 to street at 14K vs the 8K of the FS7... you're at 16K vs 10K with media so it's not a small difference). But the FS7 is a compromised camera - operations wise. It's got a slow as shit display processor and all kinds of odd limits on what can be on the screen. It's actually built quite well, but the EVF and grip are plasticky and have the grip has started to slip on people already. And don't get me started on the joke of an arm; the Shape arm mod I think is absolutely essential.

The C300 Mark II will sell extraordinarily well. It has the same body style the world is used to using now, it "just works" with no BS on set when time is money, and it's delivering very high bitrate 15 (!) stops with Canon goodness. If I was a full time shooter vs a producer/editor/shooter, and I had the money, there's zero doubt I'd buy the C300 Mark II. It's a positively awesome camera for the price.

The good news... is if people are willing to make some sacrifices in operability, and have the time to fiddle with the image, the FS7 can indeed get most people to the same spot image-wise, in internal 4K, with a decent body, for 1/2 the cost. I actually love the camera for what it is... good and cheap. But not fast.

April 8, 2015 at 8:05AM, Edited April 8, 8:05AM

Paul Antico
Producer

It just comes down to personal preference. For me after using it a number of times, I never liked the C300 form factor. The FS7 is much better for me in that aspect.

As for image, the new Sony color science is vastly improved and IMO on par with Canons. It's might be a little different looking, but great skin tones and nice out of the box.

Here's what I've been getting out of the camera (majority ungraded, natural colors) and as someone who used Canon for years, I've very happy with the FS7 look.

But I'm sure you will be very happy with your C300 II Paul, which is great. For me, I'm about to jump into the market for a higher end camera because I'm at the crossroads of my DP career where I can justify a Red Dragon or maybe an Alexa Mini if it's around $40k. I would love the Alexa Mini, but I have a feeling I will probably end up with a Dragon because of price.

When the first C300 came out, it was the only game in town but the landscape has changed so much. With the Mark II price so high, it's starting to approaching Red territory. For me personally, I would rather just pay and extra $10K for a Dragon over a C300 II (keep the FS7 as the little camera) and be done with the Canon Vs. Sony wars.

April 8, 2015 at 11:28AM

Gene Sung
DP / Director

Hi Paul,

Since you always counterpoint my FS7 comments, I checked out your reel just to see if I am missing something with the Canon color science that you love so much. This has nothing to do with the artistic merit of your work, but strictly from a Canon color science stand point I just can’t see the other world, amazingness of the colors or skin tones.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Canon colors but I feel the FS7 link above the color science is equally as nice as what you were getting out of your C300. It looks different, but both are cinematic in a different way - Canon focuses on the reds while CineEI and LC709a focuses more on the blues.

But yeah, we are different people and you obviously like your colors one way and I like mine different.

April 8, 2015 at 12:03PM

Gene Sung
DP / Director

If the Red Dragon is going to come down as much in price you give me hopes I could own one. But I don't think Red will drop the price that suddenly. 6K is still the cutting edge, ARRI still isn't there to speak of. So 6K is still at the top, standing room only for it. 8K Weapon won't make the Dragon drop in price that fast, at least I don't think so. I will just have to hope for the Kinemax 6K, if I did really want to go 6K.

Here's a ungraded sample of the KineMax 6k (which I'm kinda wondering why NoFilmSchool hasn't done a post on it yet): https://vimeo.com/123360466

April 9, 2015 at 12:03AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Looks fantastic on paper except 4k internal 60p missing reeks of pricing structure to keep the c500 worth buying. Really feel 60p should be minimum at max res nowadays... prob wouldnt stop me from purchasing though. The latitude and 2 bits missing from the c300 have arrived

April 8, 2015 at 3:04AM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Looks sick 15 stops of dr.. lightweight.. i want to see an image graded..

April 8, 2015 at 3:33AM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Holds her 2 C100 mk1's tight... its ok you two, we cant afford it, I still love you and your HD image, I wont be sending you away no matter what they tell me. But if the price was better trust me you would be on your way to the farm...

So Canon has gone with the, why mess with a good thing approach with this one, looks like most accessories and rigs will be supported and the internal specs have had a boost. I think it will be a popular rental however.... the FS7 is now in the hands of so many Camera men and women that I think Canon may have been a bit late to this party.

GIVE ME COMPRESSED 4K IN MY C100 CANON!!! PLEASE DONT MAKE ME SPEND MORE MONEY... oh sorry about that, just a reaction I get every time i see a new canon camera release.

April 8, 2015 at 3:49AM

Claire McHardy
Cinematographer

Compressed 4K recording with H265 codec would be nice :§

April 8, 2015 at 11:28AM

You're thinking of the NX1

April 9, 2015 at 12:08PM

Im with YOU claire, I just picked up a c100 mark1 to compliment my mark2. All this has me scared HD is dying off, I even had a wedding client ask about 4k yesterday!
I pray, i pray, that theres a paid firmware update for the c100mark2 that will enable 4k internal. Does anyone think this could be a possibility? I mean the sensor is already 4k. Might be a nice way for canon to squeeze some extra pennies out of us. Another thing that really chaps me is that silly lilt xc10 with its fixed sense, yet buffer codec than my c100mark2 :(

April 10, 2015 at 4:19PM

jim kappel
cinematographer

Give me 60fps at 4k, drop the price to 14k and you will sell twice as many.

April 8, 2015 at 4:17AM

Carlos de Varona
DP / CamOp / AC

The price will drop and with a new firmware update 60fps could be possible.

April 8, 2015 at 11:26AM, Edited April 8, 11:26AM

overpriced

April 8, 2015 at 5:03AM

The specs are decent enough to compete with a lot of cameras in its range, and what that lacks, the Canon image quality will more than make up for.

I'd personally opt for the FS7 because I'd rather save the extra $7-8K and I love slow month too much. But plenty of people will use these.

April 8, 2015 at 5:43AM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

This is great news. Hopefully means in about 6 months' time they'll be a tonne of cheap C300 mk1s on ebay and I can buy the camera Blue Ruin was shot on for a couple of grand.

April 8, 2015 at 5:57AM

Jon Mills
Filmmaker

Didn't know that movie was shot on a c300. Knowing that now I'd also pick one up for cheap. That was a really nice looking film.

April 9, 2015 at 2:39AM

Ok folks, don't buy this camera at all. Lets wait for canon to drop their price on this!

April 8, 2015 at 6:05AM

James Davis
Freelancer

" 15 Stops of Dynamic Range "

combined with cinematic, pleasing footage, what more can we ask for?
Canon used to lag behind on the numbers, but excelled on the image quality. It looks like they have both going their way now - at a steep price.

April 8, 2015 at 6:09AM

So it looks as if C500 Mk2 will be a beast when announced.

April 8, 2015 at 6:20AM

Saied M.

How much is it for a complete Red Scarlet these days?

April 8, 2015 at 6:30AM

Vincent Gortho
none

Roughly $20K. The most costly aspect of RED ownership is the media. Still MUCH more expensive than even CFast2 cards.

April 8, 2015 at 12:26PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

This is going to be the industry workhorse. Everyone who is not happy with the price can stick with any other camera. Can't wait to rent it someday.

April 8, 2015 at 8:27AM

Einar Gabbassoff
D&CD at Frame One Studio

At it's current price, it feels like a C500 replacement. Which isn't a bad thing. I mean the c500 is currently the second favorite camera by a lot of cinematographers often over RED and behind ARRI. But now with 15 stops of dynamic range over the previous 12 stops, I can see more cinematographers using Canon. If I needed a camera for a gig, I would rent this over a RED or FS7 but for me it brings it out of the buying range.

April 8, 2015 at 9:16AM

Zachary Will
Cinematographer

exactly

April 8, 2015 at 9:30AM

Einar Gabbassoff
D&CD at Frame One Studio

The point is that the FS7 is an easily owned camera. And let's be honest, the ones that own their own high end cameras are gonna be more familiar with them, and thus able to make better pictures faster. No two ways about it, this camera cannot compete with the FS7.

April 8, 2015 at 11:41AM, Edited April 8, 11:41AM

Yes, yes and..... yes! No other camera offers this much out of the box. The only thing bothering me are those CFast cards, damn they're pricey $640 each. Right now I don't remember if one could use highSpeed CF Cards on CFast slots.

April 8, 2015 at 9:44AM

Juanky Álvarez
Video Editor | Photographer

Rental

April 8, 2015 at 9:53AM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

All good and lovely, and I'm sure that lots of C300 users and Canon faithful will hop right on, and they'll make great pictures with it. But this is what the original C300 should have been. Canon is, once again, way behind the curve. And they still didn't change the biggest problem with the original, which is the form factor. The FS7 is doing everything right, with better specs (60fps 4K, cheaper recording media, more lens options, 180 fps HD, in-camera-audio on the body instead of some external handle, and a form factor that allows for shoulder mounting) at HALF THE PRICE. So yeah, no doubt Canon will make money from all their faithful followers. And this will be a great option for people running on a Glidecam or Movi, since you won't need an assistant to pull focus, while still being able to shoot 4K. And I know that some people prefer the way Canon cameras handle certain lighting situations. But honestly, here in 2015, the camera doesn't matter. What matters is the person behind the camera and the lens in front of it. Due to the price of the FS7, more people will be behind it, and they'll have money left over for better lenses. FS7 is still the way to go. Sorry Canon, but you really tossed a mulligan. Again.

April 8, 2015 at 11:38AM, Edited April 8, 11:38AM

I actually prefer the form factor of the EOS Cinema cameras for run and gun. I think that is more of a preference than anything. So not really a big problem.

And while I do agree with the 60fps 4k being needed, I think the things you listed aren't really better or much better. The recording media is the same. Neither is really cheaper. Yes, you have more lens options, but most people buying Canon are fine with Canon glass and it doesn't require adapters (once again, more of a preference issue). 180fps is better in my opinion, but I also like the idea of 120 @ 2k. And in-camera audio on the body is again a preference issue. With Canon's line, I can go without the top handle when I don't need audio and it makes it even easier for running and gunning. And that shoulder mount straight out of the box for the FS7 is a bit odd for me. But, I will say, Canon is missing the bang for the buck that Sony has.

April 8, 2015 at 12:20PM

Brett McLemore
Video Producer

This has the POTENTIAL be a great camera! I know it's being compared to the FS7 but I don't really believe that they are in the same class. The FS7, in my experience, is difficult to work with along with a very weird form factor. It's not a bad camera but it does compromise is many areas. Now of course the C300MII does not have 60fps 4K but really, how many people need that? Honestly.

One thing to note is that the C300MII can shoot 12-bit 4:4:4 files in 2K/Full HD at 15 stops of latitude. That's pretty awesome. The FS7 only shoots 10 Bit 4:2:2 Full HD internal with 14 stops. Not only is there more luminary latitude but there is more color latitude. I think that while 4K is something we all look for in a new camera the majority of us still work and finish at 1080P even in this price bracket (this will change in the next 2-4 years). In theory, this could compete with the Alexa. Forget the FS7 - the Alexa might be in trouble! Of course, we can only know that once we see the footage but I know that when it comes down to it we care more about the IMAGE of the camera than the specs. If this can produce something similar to an Alexa (color-wise) this will be an amazing camera at a great price.

April 8, 2015 at 12:05PM

Who needs 4k 60p? Lol you actually sound serious. It's not that bad, you could get a job at Canon afterall. That's all you have to say during the interview.
For $16000 it better has it all, because that's F5 territory. The formats are half way there, outclassed by even micro cinema cameras retailing for coins. The DR is BS claims. It's the same 4 year old 11-12 stops sensor they finally decided to match it with a 4k recorder. And please stop mentioning Alexa next to the c300. Canon tried that approach with the c500 3 years ago hoping 10% of idiots out there would believe it. Didn't happen.

April 15, 2015 at 8:46AM

Marko Hila
Cameraman/DOP

Sweet camera! Specs look great, but yes that price is ridiculous. Of course I said that about the original C300 and Canon still sold a boatload of them.

I just want to point out....16.7V!!! It's current requirement is literally twice that of the FS7 or C500/C300. This thing will devour batteries.

April 8, 2015 at 12:23PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

12 bit 422 internal, 15 stops...

There you go Canon...there ya go.

April 8, 2015 at 1:43PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

12bit 4:4:4

April 8, 2015 at 2:03PM

Internal? Wow...is that the first time a camera has been able to do that internally? Pretty impressive.

April 8, 2015 at 2:43PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Alexa has always done internal 4444, since 2010.

April 8, 2015 at 4:21PM

Alan Dembek
Camera Assistant

Oh wow...always thought it had to go external for 4444. Still, pretty good option for this Canon camera, especially if it actually gets 15 stops.

April 8, 2015 at 6:05PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

I'm taking odds on that 15 stops thingy not really being 15.

April 8, 2015 at 11:23PM, Edited April 8, 11:23PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

No camera is really what it's advertised to be.

April 9, 2015 at 10:18AM

URSA does UHD Prores 444 Internal at 60fps also (card speed dependant). :-)

April 8, 2015 at 11:43PM

CaptainHook
Frequency Wrangler

Alex

to be specific, 4:4:4 12 bit is for 2k. It does not apply to 4K.

April 8, 2015 at 11:35PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

15 stops my a.. Keep in mind it is the same sensor as in the mk1 C cams. Actually it's the only sensor they used on all, c500, c300 and c100 and the upgrade on the mkii is the brain only. Perhaps there is one extra stop through raw out, but 15 stops? It would be as good as sony's a7s "14 stops". I used the c300 and c100/ninja 2 for about a year or so, and the stuff out of the ninja was always better than the C300. We also use 5D mk3s, now a c100 mkii and a bmpcc, which blows all of the above in a way that you have to see it to believe it.

April 15, 2015 at 8:25AM

Marko Hila
Cameraman/DOP

Just bought my GH4... Is a c300 12.3076923077 times more camera that my Panasonic? :-)
...
I hope so! :-D

April 8, 2015 at 2:01PM, Edited April 8, 2:01PM

João Marco
Independent Director/Writer

im afraid it is :( I run a gh4 as b-cam to my c100 mark2 and the image and ease of use of the c100 trumps my gh4. especially color reproduction, ergonomics, and low light sensitivity.

April 10, 2015 at 3:55PM

jim kappel
cinematographer

This should be $12K. At $16K, it just does not offer nearly enough improvement over the Fs7. Seriously Canon, how on earth could you expect people with lower budgets to spend double the price on this?? This is what they call "aggressively priced"?

Do they not realize that they would absolutely slaughter the market at a price point of $12K? Why cater only to upper-level productions when you could hit the indy/small video side at the same time? No 60p 4K to boot..ugh it's just infuriating. My friend's been waiting to jump on the Fs7 to see what Canon had to offer. This pretty much guarantees he's switching to Sony and I honestly can't blame him. Well done Canon, successfully proving you learn nothing, time and again.

April 8, 2015 at 2:22PM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

Umm... I think I'll buy two FS7's instead.

#WhatIsCanonThinking?

April 8, 2015 at 2:31PM

Jody Eldred
Director/DP

Wait so can you not record HD and 2K to the cfast cards?

April 8, 2015 at 2:53PM

Caleb Rasak
Camera Operator / AC

Mitch Gross, director of communications at Convergent-Design has stated that...

"The C300 Mark 2 will output RAW data in 4K and UHD up to 60p."

So 4K 60p RAW is going to be killer from this 15 F-stop dynamic-range camera.

April 8, 2015 at 4:47PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

You have to take the number of stops on any camera with a grain of salt. We have not seen any tests done to confirm that there really is 15 stops in this one. How many times have we seen that a camera does not actually have the stops it was advertized to have?

April 8, 2015 at 11:27PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

I'm not sure why I feel this way because I've been very disappointed with Canons cameras and decisions as of late, but I have a feeling this camera is gonna kick some serious A**!! I think the image is going to be fantastic and I really like the new auto focus features, but.... The price is ridiculous! As another community member said, if Canon had priced this under $10k, Canon would sell a boat load of them and would not only compete with Sony and its FS7, but completely take over! Thats Canon for you though, smart enough to make great cameras but not quite smart enough at simple marketing and strategies.

April 8, 2015 at 5:18PM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

Hi, great specs indeed. Pretty sure the mark II will be wildly accepted. They seem to improve the camera a lot. Pretty much what the C500 should a been. I been a C500 owner for 2 years and hated the camera. But then again, I guess I deserve it by choosing it... That being said I would like to point something out. This is still the same sensor with better processing. Pretty close to the ProRes 4444 4k I was getting recording with my Ki pro quad in term of image quality. I mean this sensor is making miracle in lowlight situation. But at the same time, it get the downside of that quality, witch is poor overexposure rendering. Sure the extra DR will help(Very curious to see if a real 15 stop?) but to my humble opinion, this sensor will always look very digital in the highlights and over exposure.

Also, for the guy who love the Canon color science, haven't you realize the greenish color that is ALWAYS present because of the 2 greens channels in the sensor??

That said, I think it a smart move from Canon to keep the same form factor. A lot of owner operator all over, will appreciate keeping all there gear already bought.

April 8, 2015 at 5:20PM

Alexis Marcoux
Director of photography

I highly doubt that this is the same sensor with better processing. Better processing does not magically give you 3 extra stops of dynamic range.

Moreover, this sentence:

"haven't you realize the greenish color that is ALWAYS present because of the 2 greens channels in the sensor?"

reveals a fundamental ignorance of how digital images are created. It is (relatively) simple math to decide the strength of each channel in the final output. Currently almost all digital cameras use a Bayer pattern sensor, wherein you have two green-sensitive photosites for every pair of blue and red - Alexa, RED, Sony, Nikon etc.

This is simply a result of having square pixels and three primary colors; three pegs and four holes. The reason they choose to make cameras more sensitive to green (Which does NOT mean that green is amplified in the final image, only that more hues of green are possible) is because the human eye also has more green cones - human vision is more sensitive to green than Red or Blue. Why? Because the natural habitat of primates has a lot of green going on.

But I digress; the green color cast (that used to be) in Canon Log has nothing to do with 50% of the photosites being green.

April 8, 2015 at 8:08PM

Hi Einar,

you can check it out on the web and it the 2 greens(1 extra) channels that give the C cameras this amazing sensitivity. Nothing to do with Canon log. Ask to colourist around you about C300/500 and they will tell you about the problem I'm talking about. I own an Arri Amira now and the colours are precise and natural. Witch is very pleasing after 3 years with Canon. I'm not saying this problem won't be solve with the mark II. They talk about a better colours science, maybe that what they are talking about. Like I said, it look like a very promising camera. I will likely rent some when right for the job

April 9, 2015 at 8:20AM

Alexis Marcoux
Director of photography

If 15 stops of DR claim is real and it handles overexposure better, I will stop trolling Canon everywhere I go.

April 8, 2015 at 7:28PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

I mostly shoot on Red and Sony A7s. The amount of times I'm on location wishing I had built in ND's is pretty damn high. Have always liked the general look of the c300 but the lack of latitude and 8bit only and lack of high frame rates at 1080 held me back. Now I find myself seriously wondering if this is my future A cam with a $3000 c100 Mk 1 as B cam ( + A7s)... For what I want / need. 60fps 4k 422 is all that's missing. If the 15 stops is real that'd be amazing. Pretty annoying how some companies overestimate/overstate their cameras dynamic range

April 8, 2015 at 8:04PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

This new C300 can shoot 4K 60p RAW with the Convergent Design Odyssey Q7+ recorder and the Canon CODEC pack.

April 8, 2015 at 9:10PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Okay well that's cool... never worked with Canon raw. Find RedCode to be awesome (best thing about RED imo) How manageable / large is Canon raw. Is it uncompressed or compressed, how much? Any one know?

April 9, 2015 at 1:34AM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

April 9, 2015 at 3:56PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks

April 9, 2015 at 9:32PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

I have to say, from the specs to the construction, it seems like Canon were really, really listening to the feedback on the first C300.

I particularly like the improved, small details; wires connecting the monitor unit are now removable and interchangeable (very common gripe), 10 stops of ND (many pointed out that 6 stops fell short with a base ISO of 850), the mounts are now replaceable (ridiculous to have to choose before), the top-handle is both sturdier and has a lot more mounting points/options, it outputs raw.

Aside from the predictably disappointing frame rates, these specs are pretty sweet across the board - sweet enough for me not to feel guilty for paying an 8000$ premium over the FS7. Yes it's a lot of money, too much, but the Canon just feels so much better in all it's nuances. The build quality, the ergonomics, the logic of it's construction and the workflow, just the tactile feel of it.

But of course the image is at least 51% of the equation, so let's wait and see before passing final verdict.

April 8, 2015 at 8:49PM

I think the sweet spot would have been, 4k @ 60fps and 1080 @ 240fps for $12,000... just because it's Canon. The use of CFast 2.0 media was expected, but I wonder how long do we have to wait until they get affordable.

P.S. Please Canon, do something about those proprietary cables sticking out. It needs a more elegant solution.

April 8, 2015 at 9:56PM

15 stops of dr, LOL

April 8, 2015 at 11:20PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

I think Canon are being very tactical here. For a narrative filmmaker like myself this is a rental and I would easily choose the FS7 over this as a camera to purchase/own any day, for me there's no justification in spending an extra £5000 for this camera. However, for working camera operators/owners upwards who earn/produce for most of the year, this is a very solid investment if the price can be earned back. This camera challenges not only the FS7, but the F5 also. I would also say that it may be an acceptable alternative to the F55 if the color science and image is something DP's prefer over Sony - its cheaper than the F55 and almost as capable, especially if rolling shutter is at an excellent minimum. It will be interesting to see if the internal 4K in the F5 becomes a free or minimal expense upgrade. The C300 II challenges Sony's big 3 F-Series camcorders in one package. However, there is a bit of a hole in the 'low-light/dynamic range/on-board 4K large sensor camcorder' market at the £3000-£4000 mark. I hear Panasonic may be doing a GH4 style camcorder in that range... Will Sony?

April 9, 2015 at 7:16AM

From what i am seeing thus far [not hating] it just seems like canon pulled a rabbit out of their hat. Giving us a face-job c500 with new features, replacing the 5 with a 3 while adding mark ii at the end. At this stage this just another camera that looks great on paper....however, show me the graded images, color rendition and your 15 stops of DR. Show us that we can get ARRI like aesthetically pleasing images form a fraction of the cost.

Don't get me wrong, i love Canon. They will always bring back a lot of nostalgic memories to not only me but even most of us (t2i/5Dmk2 anyone?) however, I just think this camera would have been great a few years ago. Correct me if i'm wrong.

April 9, 2015 at 7:30AM

Any info about if you will be able to shoot C-LOG and output REC709?

I'd love to be able to use one SDI to output flat and one to output with a LUT for the client. Still don't get why that wasn't possible with the original version.

April 10, 2015 at 1:40PM

Watch one of the videos above, all your questions will be answered ;)

April 10, 2015 at 3:35PM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

The good:
Good low light and iso performance - tick
Solid internal formats - tick
Good run and gun ergonomics - tick
4k - tick
Good audio with xlr in and practical amp - tick
Excellent NDs - tick
The (very) bad:
Price - tick
Dynamic range (yes, it's only 12 stops - same sensor as mk1) - tick
(Lack of) internal raw recording - tick
Lack of prores - tick
Lack of 4k proper slomo - tick
Unfortunately the list of bad stuff is what cinematographers need and what other manufactures have already addressed, so simply put, the C300 stands outclassed, overpriced and completely out of touch. Canon hopes that rental houses and broadcasters with deep pockets will adopt this as a proven and tested tool like they did with mk1, but that's not the case anymore as many have already made the switch to blackmagic and the ones who haven't most certainly with with that amazing URSA mini that rivals the big boys.

April 15, 2015 at 8:03AM