Panasonic Unveils Smaller Super 35mm VariCam LT with 4K Up to 60p
While the Panasonic VariCam 35 is the company's flagship Super 35mm 4K camera, they've just introduced a model at half the price and size, which can take Canon EF or PL mounts.
The new VariCam LT takes the sensor from the 35 and puts it into a much smaller body with slightly reduced specs — 4K up to 60p, instead of 4K 120fps. The LT takes over a lot of the same features, including the unique dual ISO sensor structure, which lets you shoot at 800 clean, or at 5000 clean. In addition, the camera has ProRes recording like its bigger brother. The camera will also be capable of up to 240fps in a crop sensor mode.
We also know that the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+ will support 4K RAW from this camera when it's released in a firmware upgrade this summer. As for the price, it's coming in at a suggest list price of $18K, and $24K with their OLED viewfinder. It's worth noting that list prices can fluctuate from actual prices, so this may not be set in stone, and could be lower when it's actually released in March.
According to Panasonic, this camera is aimed at a more specific market than the Varicam 35:
...the VariCam LT will be the ideal camera for handheld, SteadiCam, jib, crane, drone, gimbal and overall cinema verité work. The VariCam LT is likewise tailor-made for owner/operators, independent filmmakers, documentary makers and corporate production creators.
Here are the specs:
- Same 4K Sensor as the VariCam 35
- 14+ Stops of Dynamic Range
- Dual ISO: 800 and 5000
- Removable Canon EF or PL Mount Option ($1,300)
- 4K-UHD — AVC-Intra 4K422: up to 30p
- 4K-UHD — AVC-Intra 4K-LT: 30p to 60p
- 2K — AVC-Intra 2K444: up to 30p, AVC-Intra 2K422: up to 60p, up to 120p (cropped), AVC-Intra 2K-LT: 120p to 240p (cropped)
- HD — AVC-Intra444: up to 30p, AVC-Intra422: up to 60p, up to 120p (cropped), AVC-Intra100: 50i/59.94i, AVC-IntraLT: 120p to 240p (cropped)
- HD ProRes: 4444 up to 30p, ProRes 422HQ up to 60p
- One expressP2 card Slot
- SD Slot for Proxies — AVC-Proxy G6 (6Mbps): up to 60p
- RAW Output from SDI Coming in Summer 2016
- ND filters (CLEAR, 0.6, 1.2, 1.8)
- 256GB expressP2 card — 90 minutes of 4K/4:2:2/23.98p content
- 3G-SDI OUT x3 (SDI OUT 1/ SDI OUT2/VF SDI)
- Genlock IN, TC IN/OUT, LAN
- USB HOST (for Network Connect), USB DEVICE (miniB)
- XLR 5 pin x1, XLR 3 pin x2
- DC OUT 4 pin Hirose x2
- Lens/Grip Connector 12 pin
- 12 V DC-IN 4 pin
- Head Phone x1 3.5 mm Stereo Mini Jack
- Proxy FTP
- Can use Panasonic AU-VCVF10G viewfinder and 3rd party viewfinder solutions
- Weight: Under 6 Pounds Body Only
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 184 mm x 230.5 mm x 247 mm (7-1/4 inches x 9-1/8 inches x 9-3/4 inches)
- Power Consumption: 47 W (body only), 77 W with all ports maxed out
- Availability: March 2016
- List Price: $18,000 (body only), $24,000 (body + AU-VCVF10G viewfinder)
The new LT also has an interesting V-LOOK color profile, that should give you a less-crushed image but not be as flat as log:
Powerful color management capabilities combined with VariCam’s extended color gamut and support for the Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) workflow allow for full fidelity mastering of original source material. The VariCam LT offers in-camera color grading, with the ability to record an ungraded 4K master along with all on-set grading metadata. A new color processing feature is “V-LOOK,” which acts as a blend of V-Log and video, and allows filmic documentary acquisition without the same need for intense color grading.
We'll update with more information and videos as they become available.