April 21, 2016
NAB 2016

Rokinon Xeen Cine Lenses Aim to Compete in the Entry Level Market for Cinema Primes

Rokinon makes affordable cine-style lenses aimed to compete optically with Zeiss and Canon.

Optically these new lenses are built completely from the ground up and use Rokinon X coating for minimizing flare. A full Rokinon Xeen set will cost you $9,999 and includes a 14mm T3.1, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm T1.5 and you'll have the ability to change the mounts. Andy Zou speaks to Morris from Rokinon about the new set of cine primes and the possibility of a zoom lens coming in the future.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

Amazing!

April 21, 2016 at 1:57PM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

Amazing in what? Distorting the image?

April 23, 2016 at 5:14PM

Nico
D.P

I agree with you this is amazing...I looked at the article on hurblog on there was nothing there to suggest that these xeen lens are a total bust...I will look into more comparisons

April 24, 2016 at 9:08AM

Adam Arad
Cinematogrpher

I would love to see some footage recorded with those lenses to see how good they are. I haven't used them. yet...

April 21, 2016 at 6:40PM

Jorge Díaz Arjona
Producer

www.thehurlblog.com/xeen-prime-lens-test-14mm-35mm-cinematography-educat...
Not so impressive. Check the videos out. We can't use a lens where the model face is distorted and looking "bigger"....

April 21, 2016 at 8:04PM

Nico
D.P

Great article man, thanks for sharing.

April 22, 2016 at 11:01AM

My pleasure!

April 23, 2016 at 5:14PM

Nico
D.P

"Optically these new lenses are built completely from the ground up"

Not entirely true as the glass used in these is the same glass used in their cheaper DS series lenses. They do have a newer coating structure and better quality control for color matching between lenses, and are rehoused in cinema style barrels. From my own limited tests optically they are very similar to the DS series and not worth the extra cost IMO. I might consider them if they were $1,495 each vs $2,495.

April 22, 2016 at 4:54PM, Edited April 22, 4:54PM

Ron Marvin
Director of Photography

There's a test video comparing the Xeens to the Veydra primes, and the Veydra's have better edge to edge sharpness at wide open iris then the Xeens, but a much lower price and less breathing.
I like the Samyang/Rokinon glass - the DS primes are great value for the prices, but that wide open softness is noticeable any time you mix brands on a shoot.
It's just a shame the Veydras vignette so much on the the models that cover s35.

April 23, 2016 at 4:55AM

Stewart Fairweather
Cinematographer

Oh if you're running an m4/3 system the Veydras definitely seem to be the way to go. I was very interested in their models with S35 coverage until I realized just how badly they vignette (and lose that great edge-to-edge sharpness). If Veydra put out some lenses with full frame coverage (or just BETTER S35 coverage) in the same price range as the Xeens, I'd buy them in a heart beat.

April 23, 2016 at 2:12PM

David West
Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor

Sell the the kit for $4999 and maybe we can talk....

April 23, 2016 at 5:12PM