May 5, 2016
NAB 2016

Ikan Debuts a Plethora of Affordable 4K Monitors

Ikan debuted several monitor prototypes with 4K support in a move that is sure to cut into the market.

The DH5-E is an update to their 5" DH5 monitor with a 1080 panel supporting 4K HDMI inputs and a touchscreen. It comes standard with most monitoring tools such as histogram, false color, peaking, pixel-to-pixel, and touch zoom, but it is at a relatively low cost of $350. The VXF7 is another prototype continuation of their 7" VX7 but with an updated 1080 panel and will support SDI and HDMI in/out. They are aiming for a price point around $700, which is much lower than the VX7's $1000 price tag. An interesting addition is the VL35 ($200), a 3.5" monitor that also offers 4K support. The native resolution is 800x480 and supports pixel-to-pixel, which may be all that a shooter needs if they desire a tiny monitoring/focusing solution.

Their flagship on-camera monitor is their 7" DX7 which will feature the additional tools of waveforms, vectorscopes, and LUT support. The monitor also boasts an impressive 1700nit brightness, although colorists should question whether this will alter the color accuracy.

Ikan also showed a new 20" director's monitor that additionally features self-calibration using an X-Rite color checker and a CIE scope for checking color space. It should be available for under $2000.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

dayum. I might wanna get that 5" vs the aputure one. actually this may be perfect for gimbal/shoudler rig cuz the aputure is 7"!!

May 5, 2016 at 6:41PM

WAIT I JUST SAW THE 3" MONITOR. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

May 5, 2016 at 6:42PM

I count precisely zero 4k monitors. I see three 1080p monitors and a 480p one.

May 5, 2016 at 6:57PM, Edited May 5, 6:57PM

q

May 6, 2016 at 5:15AM, Edited May 6, 5:16AM

Markus Stark
Nature 4K Film, YT: Markus Stark

I had the Ikan 7" DH7 to enable me precise focus during recording in UHD with the GH4. Image looked like an old Lilliput, not much visible resolution, low contrast, if I crank up brigthness, bright parts where completely blown out, not usable in daylight. I sent it back and ordered the BM Video Assist 4K, hoping for a better image to accurately judge and correct focus in daylight. What is the problem, to finally offer crispy and brilliant OLED 1080p touchscreen monitors like my old ridiculous cheap 7" Nexus has!??? Is this against the law????

May 6, 2016 at 5:16AM

Markus Stark
Nature 4K Film, YT: Markus Stark

I meanwhile got my Blackmagic Video Assist 4K, very sharp! as I was hoping for. With a 32.000mah powerbank (0.8 kg) 7 - 8 hrs running time.

May 31, 2016 at 2:11AM

Markus Stark
Nature 4K Film, YT: Markus Stark

"The monitor also boasts an impressive 1700nit brightness, although colorists should question whether this will alter the color accuracy."

Errr, why?

May 8, 2016 at 2:00AM

Luminance affects how an image/footage is viewed. It definitely can affect color accuracy. When grading in post, sometimes what appears to be a huge difference in saturation and color shift is only a slight exposure adjustment. It's a matter of not chasing your tail, so to speak, by trying to adjust a result that doesn't need to be based on what you see on the monitor.

May 19, 2016 at 11:12AM