January 11, 2017

Have You Seen Nikon's Super Epic Video Commemorating Its 100th Anniversary?

What better way to celebrate 100 years of business than with a big, flashy video?

Nikon is coming up on its 100th anniversary, July 25th to be exact, and it wants to let its customers know in a big way. Not with free gear or a signed headshot from company president Kazuo Ushida (that we know of), but with a website dedicated to the history and evolution of the company, as well as an epic video that was probably intended to be sincere, but is actually pretty grandiose and hilarious. (Just listen to that amazing voiceover!)

Even though the video is comically over-the-top, you've got to hand it to Nikon, I mean the company has been in business for an entire century. Founded in 1917 in Japan, Nikon has spent one hundred years developing glass, cameras, and important image making technologies that we use today.

It was one of the companies at the forefront of the digital revolution, creating some of the first DSLRs for NASA, as well as lower cost DSLRs, like the D1, which opened up digital filmmaking and photography to professionals and hobbyists alike. In fact, Nikon's D90 camera, which came out in 2008, was the very first DSLR that had video recording capabilities.

So, brand loyalty and overly dramatic 100th anniversary video aside, I think we can all appreciate the fact that Nikon has done some pretty great things for the film/photo industry. Here's hoping the next 100 years bring more sweet cameras and lenses, as well as great innovation.

If you're a Nikon fan, you should check out its 100th Anniversary website to learn more about the history of the company. Or if you're not, you can just leave a snarky comment down below.

Holy crap, it's pronounced Nee-kon?????

January 11, 2017 at 10:27PM

Marcelo Teson
Filmmaking Instructor/Sound Editor

That's how american justify everything with their own understanding.

Nikon is pronounced as Neekon like you said in Japan. Only American pronounce it as N "Y" kon.

Europe pronounced it as "Nee"kon as well.

When it comes to pronunciation for foreign language, americans language become weird.

My name is Minwoo Park. But in reality, it is pronounced as Minu Bak.

Nikon was born in Japan, not in the USA, please don't push your American ideology to original.

Note:

Hyundai is pronounced as Hyun "Dae", ironically american investors screwed to pronounce it wrong, and Hyundai actually made an Ads about it.

Well, americans still don't get it. haha.

You seems like teaching kids about filmmaking. Please do not misinform your kids with stubborn idea. Just go to wiki and check before you post something. I found this kind of reply very uncomfortable as an asian. It's rather racism or ignorance.

January 13, 2017 at 4:47PM, Edited January 13, 4:50PM

Minu Park
Director

Slow down, friend. I have no problems pronouncing it the right way, and you don't have to lecture me on American ideology. I wasn't born in the US and English isn't my first language.

I was just surprised that I hadn't heard the correct pronounciation ever, considering what a large and visible brand Nikon is.

You don't know me or my work with students which focuses heavily on anti-racism and social justice work with youth of color, and I don't appreciate you casting aspersions on my abilities as a teacher. Back off.

January 13, 2017 at 9:15PM, Edited January 13, 9:18PM

Marcelo Teson
Filmmaking Instructor/Sound Editor

I think this is the first ad I've ever seen that I would specifically qualify as "dorky."

January 12, 2017 at 12:29AM

Nolan

I don't really use Nikon products but this is really cool!

January 12, 2017 at 10:08AM

O'Raine Thomas
Cinematographer/DP/Editor

I would like to see more filmic product from Nikon instead of filmic films ;-)

January 12, 2017 at 10:14AM, Edited January 12, 10:14AM

Thomas Pohl
Head of Production

I don't understand the "Even though the video is comically over-the-top.." statement but.... i thought this was pretty awesome, go Nikon!!

January 12, 2017 at 10:53AM

What is "comically over-the-top" about this? I didn't see anything comical about it. Great video covering the scope and contribution Nikon has made to the world of photography and everything optical for the last 100 years. Pretty amazing. 100 million lenses made... wow!

I went with Canon when the digital revolution came about but, I started my career with Nikon. Still have a bunch of Nikon film bodies and lenses which, the lenses, I use in my video and motion productions now.

And, yes, it is pronounced 'nee-kon'

January 12, 2017 at 11:24AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

So, the narrator pronounced it in English as "Neekon"! Who pronounces "N"y"kon" as Neekon? PS. The sound track was annoying.

January 12, 2017 at 11:30AM

Tommy Boy
Photographer

That's how you pronounce it in Japanese.

January 13, 2017 at 11:31AM

Wow: what a terrible piece of crap.

What a terribly long piece of crap.

One more reason to be a Canon guy.

January 13, 2017 at 4:47PM

Hard to believe how wrong someone can be

January 14, 2017 at 11:46PM