June 16, 2017
Rumorville

Canon EOS 6D Mark II and Sony a7III: Here's Everything We Know

Canon/Sony Rumors
Canon and Sony are set to release new cameras for filmmakers in the coming months. Here's what the rumors say.

Spec-u-la-tion. There's nothing better than thinking about the ultimate camera. You know what I'm talking about: the afternoon daydream, thinking, "I wish this camera existed!" A ginormous sensor, 16K resolution, an immeasurable color gamut, kilobyte-sized uncompressed RAW recordings, every frame rate imaginable in every resolution, 33 stops of dynamic range, light ergonomics... and even "Siri-enabled" adjustable menu settings. Toss in wireless functionality for every input/output and a set of unsurpassed primes, all for $1,309.

One can only hope. For now, we'll have to watch the wheel of technology innovation slowly turn.

You can tide yourself over with these rumors from Canon and Sony, which have surfaced to include an updated EOS 6D DSLR and the new a7III.

Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Canon EOS 6D Mark II
Canon EOS 6D Mark II (shipping camera make look different)

The EOS 6D is framed as an entry-level DSLR. It touts a 20.2 MP full-frame CMOS sensor with an ISO range of 100-25600, 11 points of autofocus, full HD, manual exposure control, HDR, metering control, a bright LCD, and built-in GPS, all for around $1,400.

The sequel, appropriately named EOS 6D Mark II, has CR reporting an updated 26 MP CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel Auto Focus, a DIGIC 7 image processor found in the T7i and EOS 77Dand while it's expected to shoot 1080p 60 fps, it doesn't look it will support 4K.

Canon will announce details on July 29 with an August shipping date.

Anticipated Specs:

• 26 MP CMOS sensor (possibly 24-28 MP)
  • DPAF
  • DIGIC 7
  • 1080p 60 fps
  • 45pt AF
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • NFC
  • 3″ Vari-Angle LCD
  • Touchscreen
  • Approx 100% viewfinder
  • HDR movie
  • Time Lapse movie
  • A slightly taller/deeper body than the current EOS 6D
  • New battery grip BG-E21

This year, Canon will also be unveiling the new EOS Rebel SL2 DSLR and a EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM lens. If you're familiar with the EF 85mm f/1.2L, the 85mm f/1.4 won't be a replacement, but it will offer shooters a cheaper alternative, similar to Sigma's 85mm f/1.4.

Sony a7III

Sony a7II
Sony a7IICredit: Sony

The a7 was introduced as part of the Alpha series back in 2013. Two years later, the a7II was released as a full-frame camera with a 24.3 MP sensor, 5-axis image stabilization, low-light sensitivity (ISO 50–25600), a BIONZ X image processor, and full HD recording.

Now, the a7 is reincarnating itself again, and it seems to resemble Sony's a9. According to SAR, the a7III will feature 4K recording (for the first time), a new sensor, and possibly the same joystick control and autofocus system (sans 20 fps electronic shutter) as the a9.

As we know, the a7II video specs are bare: internal 1080/60p 50Mbps XAVC S with 4:2:0 sampling at 8-bit or uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit through its output. The a9, on the other hand, has XAVC-S in 4K, but it remains capped at UHD 3840 x 2160 100 Mbps, with no DCI 4K support. This could mean we're most likely to see video specs of the a9 inside the a7III.

Sony will release the camera this fall.

Anticipated Specs:

• New sensor
  • Similar autofocus system as a9
  • 4K recording
  • Joystick control
  • Touchscreen

If you're wondering about updates to the a7s and a7r series, they will probably come in 2018. Let us know your dream camera's specs in the comments below. (Best name for the camera wins a free lunch on me!)

And with that, after many years of waiting for innovation, I'm done with Canon and moving to Sony. I'm looking forward to better DR, less noise / better lowlight, higher resolutions, faster frame rates, better codecs, and IS on non-stabilized lenses.
It's no longer a debate for me. The pros far outweigh the cons now. Canon isn't trying in this sector of cameras, and Magic Lantern can't save them from themselves like it did in years past. Cheers to you Sony (and Panasonic / Blackmagic) for actually pushing forward year after year!

June 16, 2017 at 12:43PM, Edited June 16, 12:43PM

Samuel Neff
DP / Editor

Buy a c200 and you'll have canon's beautiful color science and everything else, like raw, for instance. Great deal in my book.

June 16, 2017 at 1:12PM

Alex Mandarino
DP / VFX Generalist

I can easily color match canon footage to match sony footage. To me color science doesn't matter if you know how to grade footage.

June 16, 2017 at 1:19PM, Edited June 16, 1:19PM

This comment properly reflects how much you don't know about color science.

June 19, 2017 at 11:23AM

Chris Kas
Jack of all trades

Alex, yes, but that is a different (higher) sector of cameras than we're talking about here. Canon is more willing to try in that sector. Here, they're lagging behind all the rest.
I agree with Michael--color matching isn't much of a price to pay for quitting Canon. I can grade the Sony footage back to Canon's colors if I want. Lots of flexibility with S-log, LUTs, etc. :)

June 16, 2017 at 1:24PM

Samuel Neff
DP / Editor

Yeah I agree, it's not that hard to color match cameras, but my point is: canon has a segmented line for the C cameras. C200 is a tough competitor for sony and panasonic. I got a fs7, but now considering a c200 for the next one.

Don't think canon will give what their cinema line has on a still camera. Just the basic for fast, no budget filmmaker. They're showing from the 5d mklV up to now.
Go sony. Canon doesn't seem to care anyway...

June 16, 2017 at 2:36PM

Alex Mandarino
DP / VFX Generalist

You'd be better of with the new Panasonic Varicam. Even without knowing all the specs I'm pretty sure it'll outdo the C200.

June 16, 2017 at 2:36PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

Be careful with going all Sony. Most of their gear is really fragile, including most of the A7 line. It's jewellery (Sony) rather than diving watches (Canon, Panasonic). With the wear a busy camera gets, normally one is better off buying robust gear. On top of that Canon colours are really a step above Sony and even Nikon. Much less work to get a good looking picture out of Canon raw.

I own and shoot regularly on Canon 5D Mark III and my daily carry is a Sony NEX for size reasons so I deal with the differences every day with lots of crossover environments - same places and people shot on both systems. It's not the lenses before anyone jumps on glass. I'm using top end Zeiss full frame Sony E series lenses and Nikon full frame lenses on the NEX.

The NEX is reasonably robust for a Sony (better than the A7 I had for a couple of months) but is held together by tape at this point. Miss that A7 dynamic range though on landscapes at base ISO. Canon shadows don't match the A7 series.

June 23, 2017 at 6:41PM, Edited June 23, 6:41PM

Alec Kinnear
Creative Director

WTH is wrong with Canon? They continue to put out these nickle and dime updates and quite literally screw over their base. That camera should be AT LEAST capable of 4K resolution in raw with 120 fps in 1080 w/ 16 stops of dynamic range and have absolutely everything that the Magic Lantern hack gives us. 5D3 is the last Canon I ever buy. I was thinking about the c300 but at this point it's Blackmagic's URSA 4.6 or Kinemax Terra. Buh-bye Canon. lol parasites.

June 16, 2017 at 1:53PM, Edited June 16, 2:25PM

Marc W

lol, what?

June 19, 2017 at 11:25AM

Chris Kas
Jack of all trades

...

June 16, 2017 at 2:25PM, Edited June 16, 2:25PM

Marc W

aside from the internal specs the next sony model has, they have to focus also in Functionality, and i mean.... some kind of flip screen please. something like the screen in the rx100 at least

June 16, 2017 at 3:45PM

I'm skeptical of how hard Sony pushes any substantial additions to the a7s line, they would probably just start calling it the a7sc200 and charging around 7k for it

June 17, 2017 at 1:07AM

Drew

Why are you guys trying to compare these cameras in video terms, as if Canon has somehow failed you? It's nearly like comparing a slider to a tripod, saying the tripod is too stationary. C'mon people. I know we all love to complain about something, but these are not aimed at the same use or user.

I know it's nice to think of a camera that can do EVERYTHING we want it too, but as someone who shoots both stills and video for work, I haven't never found that camera, and honestly don't really want to or need to. I like having my solid DSLR for stills work, and I like having my cinema camera for video work. They each have their own accessories and gear and live in different bags.

To each their own, obviously, but I just don't get this outrage.

June 18, 2017 at 5:35PM

I realize tone can be hard to read. If you read my comment again, you might notice I wasn't expressing outrage. I reached the end of my loyalty to a brand, and laid out why I was switching. (Competing brands offers much more video features--examples given in original comment--for the same price in 2017.) You're right though: to each their own!

June 18, 2017 at 7:53PM

Samuel Neff
DP / Editor

Hey Samuel,
Tone can be hard to read in comments that is very true. heh.
I wasn't specifically talking about/to you, however, but just the general theme of this thread. These camers should not have been listed in the same article as if they're being compared to each other. They're different tools. That's all I was getting at. :)

June 20, 2017 at 2:43PM, Edited June 20, 2:43PM

I've been a photographer for years and have documented my travel on video for years. As of recent I started a travel youtube channel, Jorge Moya on Youtube. . I have a dslr (canon 5d3), vlogging (canon gx7) and dji mavic drone. I carry all this equipment with me on hikes, up mountains and such. It would be nice to have a camera that would eliminate some gear. Having a main camera for photo and video would help so much. I've been waiting for the 6d II for over a year now and the specs are a disappointment. I need something with at least 60fps at a higher res than 1080. My canon g7x mark I does that. That's what my cinematic sequences are shot at because the 5d3 only does 30. Can't do slow motion with that. Canon is letting many people down all over the world with this lame excuse of a 2017 full frame camera. Single card slot?!!!!

June 21, 2017 at 10:22AM

jmoya

Internal 4k RAW VIDEO for the Sony a7S III for christ's sake...
Blackmagic pocket did it a hundred years ago for 1.000$!!!

June 19, 2017 at 4:14AM

Canon lost me at 1080p 60fps. ARE WE IN 2012?????? smh.

June 20, 2017 at 12:11PM