August 15, 2017
news

You Can Now See Unlimited Movies in Theaters for $10 a Month, Thanks to an Ex-Netflix Exec

movie theater
Yes, it's true: You can now go to the movies every single day for less than the cost of a Netflix subscription.

In a move sure to please everyone who loves seeing movies on the big screen, theatrical subscription service MoviePass announced that it's dropping its monthly fee to $9.95 for all users. That low rate gets subscribers entry to any movie (excluding IMAX and 3-D) at any theater in the system for any screening—even opening night. The absence of blackout dates and times is what the company refers to by calling its deal "unlimited"; your viewing is, in fact, limited to one movie per day.

Originally, the subscription prices were scaled according to various factors such as geographic location, but with the addition of former Netflix executive Mitch Lowe to the CEO role at MoviePass, this standardized rate was enacted. Lowe believes that what's keeping movie lovers away from theaters is not an addiction to offerings from his former company, but simply economic barriers.

“People really do want to go [to the movies] more often,” Lowe told Bloomberg. “They just don’t like the transaction.”

The service is currently available to over 4,000 American theaters and more than 36,000 screens.

Currently, the service is only available in the U.S., with a reported access to over 4,000 American theaters and more than 36,000 screens. According to Business Insider, that's 91% of movie theaters across the country. However, with the stated goal of the company being to access consumer data, it is likely to expand beyond U.S. borders to reach more consumers soon.

All that is required to sign up is a debit card, and as soon as your MoviePass arrives in the mail, you can start buying tickets via the company's app. See you at the movies!

Wow, this is crazy. And it's going to work.

Edit: Yep, their servers are definitely overloaded from the traffic this is generating.

August 15, 2017 at 4:13PM, Edited August 15, 4:27PM

Samuel Neff
DP / Editor

Well, since $10 is cheaper than a regular ticket at any theater near me anyway, I don't see why I wouldn't.

August 15, 2017 at 4:45PM

No, I'm sure this is a bad idea. Already people illegally download films, or find some other way to skirt the standard $20 movie ticket price, and all the big movie cinemas (Hoyts, Event etc) are already in a battle to get the lowest prices possible, and sure it means we pay less to see great films, but it also means that the the people making these films are the ones that it hits hardest. Sure more people may go and see the films, but it means each film will have less of a financial return and therefore less money available to make the next film. Ultimately leaving us with less films to see in the end.

August 15, 2017 at 9:15PM

Or...a more likely scenario, this will get more people to see indies meaning they will thrive and it will level the market so a giant superhero movie isn't the only film someone will justify shelling out the cash to see in a given month. With a 10 dollar price tag more people will see more movies which equals more of a demand for theatrical films. I don't see how you could see that as a bad thing.

August 15, 2017 at 9:25PM

Stephen Herron
Writer/Director

Where are movie tickets $20 ?

August 15, 2017 at 10:42PM

Pat Heine
Producer.

Los Angeles. For my wife and me to see Dunkirk in IMAX cost nearly $60.

August 15, 2017 at 11:55PM, Edited August 15, 11:55PM

IMAX and 3D screenings are excluded from movie pass. I think the question was more accurately, where are standard 2D screenings $20? In SF those range from $12-$15.

August 16, 2017 at 10:12AM

Jamie LeJeune
Director of Photography

Australia is a minimum of $20 a film at all the chain cinemas

August 28, 2017 at 7:00PM

I'm not so sure it's a bad thing (at least, not from an economic standpoint). It feels very much like the gym membership model. The membership is cheap enough that it will attract a lot of users but it's also at a price point where I don't necessarily feel guilty if I end up not using it in a given month. I think there will be a lot of users who will buy into it but don't take full advantage of the membership and may even pay for some months where they don't use it at all. Sure some people will use it to the fullest but even for us movie buffs, I can only think of 3 or 4 films I would've wanted to see in the theater this month. It's not just the money, it's the amount of time I have to commit to going to the theater (when I'm already busy with work and family). Younger users won't have an issue with that but adults with busy jobs, spouses and kids might find it more challenging to get into a theater more than once in a month. So I think if they can reach a point of mass adoption the economics will work out. As to the question of MoviePass' influence on the movie theater business going forward, that's a whole separate issue.

August 17, 2017 at 10:21AM, Edited August 17, 10:21AM

Dale Raphael Goldberg
Director/Editor

Very good point!

August 19, 2017 at 1:00AM

The website says $10 for first month, $24.99/month after that.
Also, trying to find out which theaters are participating is quite difficult.
Putting in my zip code on the site yields no results.
Downloaded the app and even that won't tell you.
Something seems a little fishy.

August 16, 2017 at 11:23AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

It seems legit, it has been all over reddit, it just appears that their servers are overloaded from the major influx of traffic they have received since the announcement.

August 17, 2017 at 8:48AM

Most bad movies make tons of bucks because of the ridiculous prices for tickets, so many Americans do not go and wait for dvd. The latter nowadays is only in a few months, so most figure I'll wait for video or on demand. This makes perfect sense to me, it just might take a bit to have it work effectively.

August 18, 2017 at 12:18AM

Stop! Before you get too excited the way the sign up process works is really shady. You can't see if any theaters work near you unless you sign up etc.

Use this site to check if the program works near you first: http://mdudetm.com/moviepass/

Be patient the site is totally overloaded so it takes a while to check, but it's better than this company tricking you into giving them your financial info and more only to find out you can't use the service.

The whole model is based on them selling your personal info: http://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-lets-you-go-to-all-the-movies-y...

August 18, 2017 at 1:22PM

Daniel

Just remember... if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Price increases, no theaters near you, you'll give them a CC that will be next to impossible to cancel the charges, cancellation fees, your email and preferences will be sold to other marketing companies. All of these are possible. Be a smart consumer.

August 20, 2017 at 6:21PM

August 22, 2017 at 12:36AM

I think this will be better for theaters than most people realize, because they make most of their profits off of concession sales.

I don't know about you but when the ticket itself is $10, I don't feel much like buying popcorn and a soda. With this kind of decreased pricing, now I'll have money to actually visit the concession stand each time I go.

September 14, 2017 at 5:31PM