September 3, 2014

Zeiss Just Announced Two New Full-Frame E-Mount Lenses that Filmmakers Will Love

Zeiss Loxia 35mm 50mm Full-Frame E-Mount
Zeiss is known the world around for the quality of its lenses. Likewise, Sony has enchanted the photography and filmmaking worlds with their mirrorless full-frame A7 cameras. A new line of lenses from Zeiss looks to be the perfect companion for Sony's bite-sized cameras.

Today Zeiss unveiled their new Loxia line of manual prime lenses, which are designed specifically for mirrorless full-frame cameras with an E-mount. Currently, the line consists of a 35mm f/2 and a 50mm f/2, both of which are fully manual in terms of focus and aperture. Additionally, the lenses have the ability to switch between a clicked and clickless aperture with the turn of a screw located on the lens barrel, which will make them suitable for filmmaking applications where the aperture needs to change during a shot.

Here's a closer look at the Loxia 50mm f/2.0 and the 35mm f/2 respectively.

Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2

Focal length 35 mm

Aperture range f/2.0–f/22

Elements/groups 9/6

Focusing range m/ft 0.30–∞/0.98–∞

Field angle (diag./horiz./vert.) 63°/54°/37°

Coverage mm/inch 210.2 x 139.4/8.28 x 5.49

The two new lenses have been priced at $1300 for the 35mm and $950 for the 50mm, and both are currently available for pre-order on B&H.

they also have a longer throw compared to stills lenses.

would love to have a 21mm distagon and 100mm macro version of these

September 3, 2014 at 2:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Only if the A7S had 10-bit external options, then it would be a dream camera.

September 3, 2014 at 5:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

cjaye

Watch Blue Ruin, shot in 8 bit color looks pretty damn good

September 3, 2014 at 6:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ryan

Although everyone has different needs, I with cjaye on this!
My needs are: footage that can survive intense grading and visual effects work
The A7s is almost perfect for me, bar the above point

September 3, 2014 at 7:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

rboert

Love that these guys can be declicked. Hybrid photo Cine lenses are really becoming a thing and that makes me so happy.

September 3, 2014 at 7:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

These two should work with the FS700 II as well (full frame E-mount).

September 3, 2014 at 7:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Why only f/2?

I am spoiled by canon's f/1.2 to expect at least an f/1.4 from Zeiss?

I mean if you put yourself out there as a 100 year old company with premier engineering bla bla bla... when the time for the talk is over and the time for the result comes about I am not impressed.

Now, $1300 for the 35mm and $950 for the 50mm on top of that?

This is where I have to say -- I do not understand the price making because the narrative just does not make sense.

Please if you have a moment and feeling in the mood, enlighten me.

September 3, 2014 at 8:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Firef1y

Lol. I agree with you.

September 3, 2014 at 9:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Because the A7 is small and lenses on it should be small. I'm happy with it being f/2. Just don't like carrying around heavy pieces of glass. Perfect for me.

September 3, 2014 at 10:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

A lot of fast lenses - Rokinon/Samyang for one - aren't as sharp wide open, so while they will claim a 1.2 or 1.5, you might have to use 2.0 and up anyway. This lens may be sharp/er even at the widest apertures.
And, regardless, German made equipment has never been in the budget category. Leica, Zeiss, ARRI, Schneider never intended to compete with the Korean or the Chinese brands.

September 3, 2014 at 11:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Because as sensors get more and more sensitive, you need less lighting and thus you don't need extremely wide apertures.
The old lenses were made in a time where you needed lots of light even when shooting a wide aperture....

So 2.0 is fine and will be fine in years to come.

I wish they would make some EF versions of this and discontinue their WAY overpriced Otus line.

September 4, 2014 at 5:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Torben

really painfully slow glass. who cares. there are plenty of better / faster / cheaper just as good options... or do they think slapping ziess on the lens will make it sell....oh, my mistake, suckers will be taken as usual.

September 3, 2014 at 11:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

If they are sharp wide open, they will be just great. Don't understand people only wanting 1.4/ 0.95 lenses, full frame 10bit camera's AND high clean ISO.. Shooting out of focus night for day shots?

September 4, 2014 at 1:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Cmp

This is a very welcome addition to the A7S. Personally I don't really use anything faster on a full frame... 1.4 is a bit ridiculous with the razor thin DOF! My guess is that they will be sharp straight from f2.

September 4, 2014 at 2:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

J-P

I have a Zeiss Makro Planar 50mm, also f/2. It is by far the lens I use most, especially in low light situations (both stills and video). It is just as good at f/2 as it is at f/11. None of my other lenses come close (albeit cheaper Nikon and Canon). It's also the most distortion free lens I have.
Last week I had an accident with my Canon 5d3 as it fell lens down on concrete (first accident like this in many years) and the lens didn't budge one bit. So now I gladly pay extra for this kind of build quality.

This new 35mm f/2 lens ticks a lot of boxes for me, as I see myself doing a whole film with it and I'am looking out for a camera with a smaller sensor than the 5d3.

September 4, 2014 at 3:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey ho.. when it comes to the A7S why would anyobdy use lower than F2 anyways ?

The lowlight capabilities are so good on the A7s that you don't need it, and certainly not the added weight of a faster lens. Also the Zeiss glass is probably sharper at F2 than alot of the faster glass, even at F2 as a comparison.

Oh well it'l be interesting to se the reviews later on

September 4, 2014 at 8:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Carl Alexander

Quite expensive, wonder if the IQ will be worth it over the other lenses in this range.

September 5, 2014 at 12:35AM, Edited September 5, 12:35AM