August 6, 2020 at 4:43AM

180 rule for Slo-Mo?

I think I've just had one of those flashbulbs moments of realisation.

I have been shooting at 60fps and then normalising it in FCPX to 24fps using 'Automatic Speed'

Most of the time it looks OK, but if I get much lateral movement then it starts to look a bit jerky.

The flashbulb moment is that I think I should be setting the shutter speed using the 180 rule for the project frame rate NOT the shooting frame rate.

I.e. I have been shooting at 1/125s at 60fps and then slowing it to 24fps. But the original frame is still shot at 1/125s, it doesn't automatically introduce that Motion Blur that we all love so much, hence the jerkiness in the lateral movement.

So, even though I am shooting 60fps, because I am intending to slow it down, I should be aiming for the 180 degrees of the 24fps project frame rate which would be 1/48s.

Not really possible, but 1/60s at 60fps is.

Did that today and it looks a lot better, still not perfect but I suspect that I'm now in the zone of pixel peeking so I need to back off and come back to this.

Anyone have any thoughts or is this just one of those blindingly obvious "D'Oh!" moments for me.

Cheers

Mark

1 Comment

good info

August 6, 2020 at 8:04AM

If You are a Sony User You can shoot directly at 60fps/120fps at a time at desired resolution.
At the time of edit you need not to vary the speed, automatically it plays in realtime. If you want to slow down the video then you can use Time remapping.
Everything will be alright. Check this. Hope it wok outs to you

-Himanshu Gottiparthi

August 22, 2020 at 11:32AM

Himanshu Gottiparthi
Director, DOP, Editor, Colorist

Your Comment