April 4, 2017 at 5:49AM

A6000 vs A5000 for entry to video

Hi All,
I've been going through a lot of your posts and tips which are really useful - thank you.

I'm looking to buying my first DSLR to make travel videos similar to the work that Matt Komo and Sam Kolder create. I've been researching several cameras and have arrived at a bit of a crossroads between the Sony A6000 and the A5000. The big differentiator is the cost, the a5000 I can purchase with a kit lens for £350 and the A6000 with kit lens is £550. I could afford the a6000 but really unsure if it justifies the additional £200.

I like the sonys because of its compact form / weight and full 1080p at 60fps. The video quality also looks good from what ive seen on both. I'm pretty familiar with DSLRs and frequently use a Canon 6D in work.

Just curious if anyone has used these two cameras and if they can offer any advice / opinions would be really appreciated :)

Thanks
Joe

3 Comments

Note: these aren't DSLR's, these are mirrorless cameras, or DSLM. Out of these two, if you're looking into video, the a6000 is in the right direction. The a5000 doesn't shoot 1080p at 60fps, it's 1080i, which is interlaced, and usually not that pretty. The a6000 also has higher ISO, XVAC recording (which is a high quality recording, to capture more data than standard codecs) and overall improvements. The a6000 also introduces phase detection autofocus, with 179 points, which is a world of difference if you ever touch autofocus. and 11fps photos, compares to shooting 3.5 fps with the a5000. In my opinion, that's a big improvement for only $200, if you can afford it.

April 6, 2017 at 8:47AM

Craig Douglas
Editor/ Videographer

hi craig thank you for your response. Your points have really helped me out and certainly gave a clearly idea in my mind that the a6000 is the correct camera for me.

I went to the shop ready to buy it and the sales assistant also said they now have a used but great condition Panasonic Gx8 with a 14 - 42mm kit lens for £20 more. now I'm debating between the two cameras - i won't ever output video in 4k but understand it will give a lot more options in post and the panasonic allows for this. Anyone have thoughts between the two cameras?

I'd like to also by a decent wide angle lens for filming and they appear cheaper for the panasonic compared to the sony with image stabilisation.

Apologies for all the questions but this is a big new world so looking for advice now to make sure i spend my money as wisely as possible. :)

Thanks

April 10, 2017 at 4:15PM

joe perry

Only £20 more with a kit lens??? Go for that man! Sounds like a fantastic deal. I don't have as much in-depth knowledge on the GX8, and it's inner workings, but from a quick glance, it looks like it beats the a6000 out!

April 10, 2017 at 7:33PM

Craig Douglas
Editor/ Videographer

Your Comment