February 16, 2016 at 7:18AM, Edited February 16, 7:29AM

FS5, FS7 or C100 mkII for weddings?

I'm looking for people's thoughts on these 3 cameras. I own an A7S, but want to take a bigger step up with a more 'professional' level camera. I have all the equipment available to use these (tripod, audio, lenses) etc but can't decide on the body. About 80% of my work is weddings, the rest commercial adverts.

C100 mkii obviously is a solid all rounder. I would miss the slow-mo and 4k but the image is great out the camera and its quite easy to hold.

FS5 has the best ergonomics and ND filter but the image quality right now is not the most impressive, especially in 4K. The high frame rate seems good but quickly fall apart in low light.

FS7 has the best image but the size and weight are an issue. Is it too much for weddings? I don't really mind holding it all day - used to carrying heavier stuff around before the A7S but will it put clients and guests off? I love the thought of 10 bit 4;2;2 4k at 60 fps.

I'd really appreciate you guys and girls thoughts.

28 Comments

Have you already checked how many memory cards you have to take with you or how quick you have to change those? I am sure at weddings, you may not have that time for such things.

For example:
On a Sony FS100, you can record up to 3h (180 minutes) on a single 32 GB SD card in a reasonable 1080p quality. And a larger battery lasts the entire day without being changed.

You should check these points.

February 16, 2016 at 10:15AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

FS5 has an amazing battery life and only uses SD cards which don't run out easily. FS7 can chew through batteries every few hours and does eat through even 64gb XQD cards in 4k at 60 fps pretty fast but it isnt as bad if recording in HD.

February 17, 2016 at 5:18AM

Joez5
Videographer.

I too have also struggled with this "put clients and guests off"... Number one it's my age, number two its the camera. Seems like reputation these days is half based off how you look when you're shooting and the other half is the result.

February 17, 2016 at 10:57AM

Clark McCauley
Spaceman

Glad there is someone else with this problem!

I'm lucky that I have my wife to be the front of our business ... couples booking weddings love dealing with women especially if they know how to hold a camera!

February 17, 2016 at 11:26AM

Joez5
Videographer.

C100 Mark II all the way. You don't need 4K for weddings (unless that's one of your selling points). And the color is so much better in the Canon's than the Sony's. I shoot weddings on C100 Mark I's all the time, and it's the best. Only thing missing is the slow mo.

February 17, 2016 at 9:36PM

Kenneth Merrill
Director

A7S II, just save the money, or rent. There's really no point in getting a digital camera, since the cycle of new gear is like every three months.

February 17, 2016 at 11:20PM

I don't shoot weddings but I am a C100 mk2 owner and I haven't regretting it since purchase. I've built a custom picture profile for anything run and gun that is a life saver as the colours are just so nice out of the camera. Batteries last ages, SD cards, built in ND's etc, I've never wanted more to be honest. It shoots 60p as well so if you want a little bit of slo-mo then that is better for most applications (especially weddings) than 120 or 240.

It's just very solid and reliable to get what you want. I'm sure there are people out there doing great work with with their FS5's and FS7's but I haven't been overly impressed by the images myself. A colleague just bought an FS5 and has been a little disappointed. But then...he'll find a way to get the best out of the image I'm sure.

Renting also a good option. It totally depends on who's paying you and how many weddings you'll shoot. If it makes sense to have your own camera then obviously do that. For my work it wouldn't make any sense to rent for the bulk of it as it's small projects and people are hiring the camera as well as me. But in conclusion I've been super happy with my c100 mk2.

February 18, 2016 at 4:12AM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

Just switched from Sony back to Canon. I really do think Sony sensor tech is lagging behind in how it renders color. Canon is just effortless. You can't go wrong, both functionally and image-wise.

February 18, 2016 at 7:26PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I'd be interested to know your experience moving over to Sony and back to Canon. Which cameras are we talking? Not trying to hi-jack the thread here, just interested as moving to Sony is something a lot of people have done and favoured specs over colour.

February 19, 2016 at 4:35AM

Liam Martin

No worries! I've worked with the A7s and MK2 versions for a while, was always shooting in Slog-2.

I was at a point where I was considering moving into either an FS5 or FS7. Up until now, though, I'd seen that the higher end cameras shared similar characteristics in terms of color to the mirrorless cameras, so my reason for upgrading had less to do with image quality and more to do with functionality: I was ready to own a proper video camera, and wanted to move on from fiddling with a little mirrorless camera body.

That's when I started to think about the ease I experienced shooting with the OG C100. I also edited a reel together and was putting a lot of Sony footage next to Canon and some Red, and the visual distinction presented itself again. Everything Canon just looked better, ha. Sony gives a lot more flexibility and has amazing features for the price. I think if I was shooting something that required heavy push and pull in post I'd go with a Sony with a better codec or Red. But for my purposes, I'm generally trying to simply capture what I see, and the C100 does that perfectly. I never have to worry about whether or not I can bring it back in post. I became a significantly less confident shooter with Sony, but have had the opposite experience with Canon.

One more personal note: as much as I find myself being a lazy shooter when not working primarily with a set of primes, I also find myself being a lazy shooter when I have a camera that can do crazy slow mo. I like the idea of limiting myself to 24p. Forces me to actually make the frame interesting if I can. :P

I've been borrowing a friend's C100 before buying to make sure I like it. So far it's been a dream.

February 19, 2016 at 6:48AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Cool thanks for sharing. Bit of a cliché but every camera has its place I guess! That's why I bought the c100 mkii in the end because I just find the image aesthetically more satisfying. I listened to a podcast not long ago with a load of DoP's from BBC productions and they basically ended up agreeing that ahead of resolution or dynamic range, skin tones are what a normal audience will notice first and connects people to the story.

That said I don't doubt that the Sony users out there will get great images from their cameras and am not trying to put other cameras down because that's boring! Too many people are doing that. The fact is we have a huge choice of amazing cameras nowadays without having to take out a mortgage. So each to their own and make some nice images!

February 19, 2016 at 8:54AM

Liam Martin

Why didn't you ever try shooting in PP6 or one of the other Cine profiles rather than S-log2? You probably would have had an easier with colors.

February 19, 2016 at 3:53PM

Thanks Alex I'd be interested to try PP6 on my colleagues FS5. Will check it out.

February 20, 2016 at 1:58AM

Liam Martin

Doug Jensen laid out a pretty good Cine4 profile that'll give you a good image without needing a lot in post. I think it was something like Cine4 gamma with the "Pro" colour, and blacks pushed down.

February 20, 2016 at 9:18AM

Sebastian Kammonen
Filmmaker

I did a lot. I have a test online that was all pp6. Definitely easier to handle, but I was less a fan of the baked in looks than what I could get with SLog.

February 20, 2016 at 9:45AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I love my FS5, then again I'm not a wedding shooter. But it's a great little camera that puts out awesome 1080p, and you can really push it when shooting slog2 or slog3. I love the colours that the Canon C-line produces, but don't write out the FS5.

February 19, 2016 at 7:27AM

Sebastian Kammonen
Filmmaker

Yeah I agree, the FS5 looks like a great camera. I would probably think about it more if slow motion was a big necessity in my work.

February 19, 2016 at 10:40AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I would honestly just get another a7s, maybe some monitors/monopods etc. and hire someone else as a 2nd to get more coverage. This is how the company I work for does it and we never have any issues with looking professional. I find that the bride and groom don't really care and just want the final product to look good. If anything they don't want to notice you at all so a bigger "more professional camera" would hurt you imo.

February 19, 2016 at 8:17PM

Jesse Cornaglia
Freelance Videographer

Buy a used C300.

February 20, 2016 at 2:40AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

Whats your reasoning behind this? I hadn't really considered one.

February 20, 2016 at 7:46AM

Joez5
Videographer.

even the old c100 is still a beast of a camera

February 20, 2016 at 9:46AM

Anyone who want to lug around a camera this size for 5-9 hours to cover a wedding is nuts!

February 22, 2016 at 3:02AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

Are you talking about the fs7 here?

February 23, 2016 at 8:53PM

Joez5
Videographer.

You can even consider a Sony FS100, it has a higher dynamic range, 1080 60p slow motion and better lowlight capabilities than the C100 and they are way cheaper than the C100 now. There is also some great picture profiles on the Web for in camera looks.
FS100 body, Amazon :http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00796NCY4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456257800&s...

February 23, 2016 at 12:08PM

Carel

The first step to a good weddingvideo is considering what kind of Wedding Vid you are going to make; will you be using Slomo (a little slomo 50fps or big 120/150 slomo)? Are you up for a long process of grading (S-Log is really flat, yeah there are LUT's but its still a long process)? C100 is a real straight forward and good camera, I've used it as well at a wedding once. Its not very heavy for a day, but shooting on SD's wont benefit the quality (you could use a atomos, but that will make the camera heavier). If you want to move a lot and make more of a neat compilation, why not consider a DJI with a smaller cam (Talking about the c100 mark ii price range would be the same as a DJI + a7s). or is it just a registration of the wedding from a tripod?

February 24, 2016 at 1:32AM

Michiel Eskens
Director & Editor

Hi guys

Thanks for all the comments - we are going to try and rent all 3 over the next month and try and test them out. If anyone else has any other opinions i'd be glad to hear them!

February 26, 2016 at 12:34AM

Joez5
Videographer.

Hey Joez5,
How did you end up liking the three cameras? Did any particular one stand out whether for color rendition or anything else? Just curious to see what you came up with in the end. Thanks.

July 9, 2016 at 11:14AM, Edited July 9, 11:14AM

Andres G. Guzman
Freelance

Hi

Sorry I didn't respond to this but I thought I'd wait until the end of the wedding season for us.

We used all 3 and the ursa mini 4.6k and found the ursa the best all rounder for the price especially using ssds rather than cfast cards .

Fs5 was great for handheld and the image was 7/10. Slow mo was good but quality isn't amazing.

C100 had the autofocus and all the trimming which was good, didn't need much grading but I found the image quite sterile personally.

Fs7 image was good, was a solid all rounder.

I also tried the fs700 with o7q+ which is great . Right now we are trying to decide our 2nd main cam to go with the ursa.

October 2, 2016 at 9:13AM, Edited October 2, 9:16AM

Joez5
Videographer.

Your Comment