April 12, 2015 at 7:44PM

NAB 2015 : Blackmagic Ursa Mini !!!

No real details yet, but this sounds amazing! Especially if it sells for less than the "big brother" Ursa camera.

Noam Kroll.com Blog : BM Ursa Mini
http://noamkroll.com/blackmagic-ursa-mini-is-coming-15-stops-of-dynamic-...

27 Comments

And it looks like Blackmagic have another camera in the works. Is this a Micro ?

https://twitter.com/mattallardACS/status/587392276361383937

April 12, 2015 at 7:51PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Yeah, I feel like it's Christmas Eve when I was a kid. Can't wait until tomorrow. Have you heard the rumored price? It's insane!

April 13, 2015 at 1:11AM

Kevin Jones
Editor

Really looking forward to knowing more about this.

I am on the waiting list for a FS7 and I must say, these last days I am starting to think consider a C300 Mark II since 99% of the footage by the FS7 looks horrible.

And I also have had my eye on the URSA but because of the size I took it of the table... But this really changes everything. Will be fun to follow NAB this year!

April 13, 2015 at 4:27AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

Yeah, another option I am considering is buying a used C100 to build up a Canon lens collection, and then renting the C300 Mk2 when I've got the budget for it.

April 13, 2015 at 8:26PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Guy, which canon lenses are you going for?

April 13, 2015 at 11:46PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

I would start with a good zoom lens like the 17-55mm f/2.8. It's not an L lens, but it's sharp and it's a good range for the C100/C300 cameras, and it's optically stabilized for handheld work. ( the other option is the Sigma ART 18-35 f/1.8 lens which is sharp and super fast )

After this I would go with prime lenses, which would be a mix of Canon and Sigma ART lenses.

I also own eight Nikon AI-S lenses, which would be completely workable as fully manual lenses. No electronic aperture or auto-focus, but I could live with that for some shots.

April 14, 2015 at 4:53AM, Edited April 14, 4:53AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

This is also something I'm considering, but I really want some sort of slow-motion...

April 14, 2015 at 3:14AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

We just finished shooting a short on a rented FS7 and I'd be willing to vouch for the image quality of it. We decided to rent it for the same reason, I really hadn't seen sample footage (beyond a handful) that really impressed. I also noticed that I hadn't seen many samples of the camera in a properly lit, cinema environment. I can definitely report that of the many things that upset me about the camera, image quality was definitely not one of them. It looked really great, surprisingly more Alexa-like then DSLR/C300 (a camera we own).

The menu system/handling are an absolute shitshow, but the image quality doesn't disappoint if you have the patience to properly light and expose.

April 15, 2015 at 10:11AM, Edited April 15, 10:11AM

what about the micro cinema? imagine that on the nebula gimbal. freaking A

April 13, 2015 at 8:24PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Does anybody know what is the native ISO on the Ursa Mini 4.7K? Would be any good in low light (maybe like it's compeditors FS7, C300)? Thanks!

April 14, 2015 at 5:40AM

George Pada
Filmmaker

Nobody knows right now, but people are speculating that it might produce a good image at 1600 ISO. ( nothing like a Canon C100/C300 or the Sony A7S, but still very workable )

April 14, 2015 at 6:40PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

It's 800, ISO range of 200-1600 right now. Also, no black sun image.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZfX2QrSjJM

April 16, 2015 at 12:42PM

Thx for the link Jacob. That is the only interview of ursa mini worthy looking at :) gj NextWaveDV

April 16, 2015 at 1:08PM

freshtea
Independent filmmaker

I just pre-ordered one :D :D :D

April 14, 2015 at 1:17PM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

I am SO close to pre-ordering one...I just want to be certain it's decent in low-light. FPN and icky artifacts was a killer for me with the Blackmagic Production Camera. I hope some more footage comes out; I want to click that Pre-Order button!

April 14, 2015 at 3:19PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

They said in an interview they improved low light and FPN. My guess is it will be comparable/slightly better than the BMCC. I think it will be a really good image at ISO 1600, maybe 3200. No black sun is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZfX2QrSjJM

April 16, 2015 at 12:48PM

Thanks!

April 16, 2015 at 3:07PM

Ben Meredith

Me too, If things start smelling fishy ill cancel it but for now I'm putting my hopes up :)
apparently is was ISO1600 on the model in NAB and the video BM put up looked really nice. Coming from a fs700+O7Q and not knowing whether to sell it or not yet but I will be missing the higher frame rates if I do.

April 14, 2015 at 6:26PM

freshtea
Independent filmmaker

Does anyone here have a hands-on experience at NAB? If I could just find the words "fine grain" associated with "low-light" for this camera then I'm pre-ordering! Just can't seem to find any information on low-light performance (makes sense, I know it's only on display at NAB).

April 15, 2015 at 7:46PM

Ben Meredith

If you go to DM's webpage you can watch footage from the URSA shot with the same 4.6K sensor, and there you can see som low light situations.

Shouldn't be to much of a difference between the URSA and the Mini since it's the same sensor.

April 16, 2015 at 6:13AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

Is this a camera suitable for independent filmmaking?
I mean, sure you can shoot feature films with it, but, is that its natural goal or is it thought and engineered for some other purpose?

I guess what I mean is, is it an improved filmmaking tool with respect to the BMCC or would I be buying specs I don't really need?

Thanks.

April 16, 2015 at 7:39AM

In a word yes. Three things: a) the dynamic range of the 4.6k option and means it's image may well stand up to cameras costing several times its price -- improved over BMCC b) the ergonomics are greatly improved over the BMCC meaning it will work great in the field in run-and-gun situations (particularly with the optional EVF eyepiece $1500) c) the battery/power situation is now industry standard -- no more extremely short battery life, or being tethered to an AC outlet like with the BMCC. This camera is improved in every way, and even if you don't spring the extra $2k for the 4.6k chip, even the $3k version of the camera crushes the BMCC on battery and ergonomics alone.

April 16, 2015 at 7:34PM

Raafi Rivero
Director

The problem for me is that if I can save the money for the camera body, I still cannot use the camera, it is not functional, so then to have to buy memory and batteries etc, that costs as much as the camera body.
Realistically to make it work it is a $10k camera.
Too much money for me, for too little benefit.

April 17, 2015 at 11:33AM

If you don't need 4k right away, one option is to buy the $500 BM Video Assist recorder (which records in HD to an SSD). SSDs are much cheaper and you can use them as a stopgap until the price of CFast media comes down, which it will.

April 17, 2015 at 11:53AM

Raafi Rivero
Director

Raafi
of course you are correct, but still when you add up the costs it is beyond my means to get it to function. I am used to the days of buying a camcorder and it had a lens and a battery and even one dv cassette and you could use it out of the box. With this camera and many others you buy the ursa mini for $5k and you can't use it and the cost to make it usuable runs thousands of dollars. Just frustrating for me because I want one, but cannot get together the funds for what realistically is a $10k camera. Certainly justified for the pro, but for the serious hobbyist or enthusiast isn't affordable, but certainly within target range of rental.
There are cameras within my target range of $3k, but the samsung files cannot be natively edited in my NLE, I would use proxy files, but the Nle has to recognize them etc. So, the Ursa mini is not the camera for me except rental.

April 17, 2015 at 1:10PM, Edited April 17, 1:10PM

In that case you may want to look at the Panasonic GH4 -- it records 4k internally and is very lightweight and affordable (~$1600). With lens and media you're within your budget, and if you'd like to add more parts over time like a rig or monitors you can continue to build the system. The GH4 isn't great in low light, but has a lot of bang for buck and has become a favorite of a lot of filmmakers. Another option is the Sony A7s which is superb in low light but doesn't record 4k internally. In that case, for $2500 you have a great HD camera (+ extra for lenses), and if you'd like 4k you can always add a Odyssey or Shogun recorder later for more resolution.

April 19, 2015 at 2:11PM

Raafi Rivero
Director

I have to say, after stopping by NAB this week, it has given us camera fever.

April 17, 2015 at 7:27PM, Edited April 17, 7:27PM

NAB come to China!!!!
http://www.shootinchina.com

April 20, 2015 at 11:00AM

Your Comment