October 1, 2016 at 7:46PM

No love for the JVC LS300?

Like many people, I have an assortment of gear all rigged together, and I'm sick to death of it. All the various batteries, cables, cards, clamps, etc...it's just too many things waiting to go wrong, especially outside of a studio setting. So, it's time for a change.

There's no end to discussions about the FS5/7, C100/300, and Ursa Mini, but almost nothing about the JVC LS300.

Okay, the LCD isn't great. The same can be said for the C100 and FS5, yet people dismiss that with a shrug. Sure, it doesn't shoot RAW, but you're not dropping a grand on SSDs or CFast cards either. It's not a showstopper, but it's affordable and ticks most of the feature boxes a person could want, plus some extras like the prime lens zoom.

So, what is it about this camera that cause everyone to ignore it? Am I missing something? Or heck, maybe it's the lack of drama that's caused it to fade into the background. Thoughts?

3 Comments

It is a nice and flexible cam for the price especially with the log format that was recently added by JVC. But something like the FS5 is in another league.

October 1, 2016 at 8:29PM, Edited October 1, 8:29PM

Cary Knoop

No argument on that one, though I probably could have worded my post better.

I don't mean to compare cameras directly. More that when it comes to the different options out there, be it a rigged up Pocket Camera to an FS7, the LS300 gets completely passed over like it doesn't exist.

I'm often in run n gun situations (think, convention with 50k+ people) on a tight schedule where managing a ton of gear is asking for trouble, but still need the qualites of a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses for less hectic situations.

The LS300 seems to fit the bill, but the silence makes me cautious.

October 1, 2016 at 9:19PM

The JVC LS300 seems to be hampered by the low dynamic range of it's sensor, otherwise it's a great camera with many cool features. ( like being able to shoot either Micro 4/3 or Super35 formats )

If JVC ever comes out with a Mark 2 with a better sensor it should make a bigger splash than the original camera did. ( Also they should have had LOG built-in right from the get-go )

October 2, 2016 at 6:37PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your Comment