November 26, 2014 at 1:59AM

Sell Nikon D800 and get GH4?

I bought the D800 when it first came on the market and I've been happy with it so far. I've shot Docs on it, did interviews with it and did some narrative stuff with it. On top of the video stuff, I've done a lot of photography with it. I'm pretty much a jack of all trades when it comes to DSLRs. That's why I've opted for those instead of a purely cinema camera, even though I enjoy making narrative shorts. I'd say i'm in the ratio of 70% video and 30% photography. I feel video wise, the GH4 is a far better camera, but photo wise it's not even in the same league as the Nikon. The only negative I have against the D800 for photography is that it requires time and patience to use it. Not good for a spontaneous style. GH4 looks way easier to use, just doesn't have the DOP of full frame. Video would be easier to focus too....damn, wish I could afford to own multiples cameras for different uses.

5 Comments

...I would make sure to shoot some footage with the GH4 before deciding to switch formats. I've been shooting with Micro 4/3 cameras for four years now, so I know the format really well, but if you're coming from a Nikon D800 you might find the DOF difference to be a bit of a shock. ( Micro 4/3 lenses have to be 2 F-stops faster to match the DOF of a Full Frame camera )

November 27, 2014 at 2:04PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

The GH4 is going to require the same amount of patience to take still images as the D800, if not more. If you plan on making money with photography, hang on to your Nikon. The D800's video quality is also pretty amazing. Sure it lacks 4K, but it more than makes up for it with gorgeous DOF control. The GH4 is definitely an amazing camera, but if you pay some of you bills with photos, stick with the FX format.

November 29, 2014 at 2:34PM

thunderlab
Director/DP

The GH4 is going to require the same amount of patience to take still images as the D800, if not more. If you plan on making money with photography, hang on to your Nikon. The D800's video quality is also pretty amazing. Sure it lacks 4K, but it more than makes up for it with gorgeous DOF control. The GH4 is definitely an amazing camera, but if you pay some of you bills with photos, stick with the FX format.

November 29, 2014 at 2:36PM

thunderlab
Director/DP

Well i own a D600 and use friend's D800 also, and i've bought gh4 this year. I work as a freelance videographer, and from time to time i work as a photographer, but mainly shoot personal work. Till i owned gh4 i've shot all the videos with nikon dslr's and since i own gh4 a don't shoot almost anything on them, or i use them just as second cameras because the difference is huge. Not only in image /image from dslr always looks like it is not even sharpened correctly next to it/ but also with use - focus peaking is huge help . But if you want to do photos also, the decision is not that easy. Because i cannot imagine doing a serious photo assignment with gh4. Thats why i am keeping my nikon for stills because the gh4's ergonomy is really pretty bad for taking photos, also image quality is pretty uncomparable with nikon's.

November 30, 2014 at 5:23AM

Igor Smitka
DP, editor

I've used a D800e for stills for two years and just started using it for video a couple of months ago. And yesterday I bought a GH4. After one day of using it I can tell you I have no regrets with that purchase. The image quality is phenomenal, but equally important, if not more so, is the ease of use as a video camera. The flip out LCD is touch sensitive and a joy to use. And it's useable in daylight, which I don't consider the Nikon to be. But do try it out first, if you can. If most your paying work is video, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

November 30, 2014 at 11:18PM

Rob Reiter
Commander Of The Realm

I sold my D800 and have a D5300 for stills and a GH4 for video.
Killer combo. They are both exceptional at what they do.
If you can i'd hang on to the D800 and add the GH4 rig.

December 2, 2014 at 12:20AM

Chris Wallace
Producer/Director

Your Comment