January 6, 2016 at 11:44AM

Should i buy BMMCC now or wait NAB2016 for possible GH5 etc..?

Hi!

I've finally saved enough money (about 2000€) for a camera.
I've been seriously considering Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera with Blackmagic video assist. (the 4k version doesn't have global shutter, or built-in recording)

My only 'problem' is that it hasn't even been released yet and i wonder should i wait for other options coming this year? Gh5? BMPCC 2?

I also heard about some upcoming "revolutionary cinema camera under 1000$" which mailing list i subscribed but can't remember the name. Nevertheless my point being is it now a good time to wait or buy? Same goes for video assist: as nice as it is, how long does it for 1080p being like 720p now, when 4K is the new standard?

There should be something like Macrumors buyersguide for cameragear :) ( http://buyersguide.macrumors.com )

9 Comments

Do you need a better camera right now, or is waiting 6-9 months OK ?

I would be tempted to either get the 4K Micro to use now, and then sell it down the road if the global shutter is worth it to you. ( you could also do the same with the GH4 camera )

January 6, 2016 at 12:26PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thank you for your reply.

I'd say i would need a camera right now.. i could wait 2-3 months tops.
I think 1080p with global shutter would yield better results than RS 4k, it also has longer lifespan as i can mount it to suitable drone later and due to the size of these micros they have extended lifespan to get special camera angles.

4K workflow would require a lot more SD and hard-drive space for me + there's no real good reason that would force the use of 4K yet. You can only playback 4k in Youtube with good internet connections. Ofcourse biggest thing for me with 4K is that you can punch-in post + if you downscale it to 1080p you get nice results too. Feel free to dispute my thoughts :)

January 7, 2016 at 2:54AM

You voted '-1'.
Mikko Manninen
Collecting whispers

NAB is in april, if you can wait, wait, because if there is a big anouncement, aspecially from big brand like panasonic, it can be available soon after the anouncement. It you have to decline work, or postpone shooting you had plan because you don't have the camera then don't wait.
Keep in mind that with cheap camera the other cost double the price very quickly, lenses, speedbooster, etc...

January 11, 2016 at 9:24AM

AvdS

Honestly I'd wait if I could. Newer tech is right around the corner, and when that gets released, deals on other cameras usually follow.

January 8, 2016 at 1:53AM

Logan Fish
Video Journalist, Gulf News

Waiting for NAB announcements, means you'll be waiting at least 6 tot 12 months for a new camera. Except when it is a BlackMagicDesign camera, then you'll never know when it will be available: they will say in 3 months, just like they did last time, and 9 months later... people are still waiting.

Besides that: if you wait for new tech, you will always wait, because there will always be something in the near future that is even better, cooler, cheaper, faster, whatever.

If you can wait 2 to 3 months, it is no use to wait for a new camera. The only thing that might happen is that already available cameras might be a little cheaper by then.

January 8, 2016 at 7:45AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Altho you have some good advice here, I hope you will look at the big picture. So you buy this camera body, do you have lighting, audio? do you have enough batteries, memory cards? can your computer deal with the new demands? can your NLE cope with possible new codecs? How are you going to move the camera and stabilize it. Do you have the lens you need for it (keep in mind if there is a crop factor or not? If you are shooting outdoors do you have ND filters? Then most importantly, what can you do to invest in yourself and upgrade yourself which is the only true upgrade, is the most cost effective and will work with any camera used for video the rest of your life. If you need to brag about your camera, you are good to go, if you want to make films then consider, light, audio, camera operation and composition. I make no assumption where you are in all of this, these are questions you ask yourself.
These are the questions, I ask myself.

January 8, 2016 at 10:49AM, Edited January 8, 10:51AM

Thank you for very nice advice!

So i actually pre-ordered the BMMCC, i trust it will serve me well but i also acknowledge that it needs additional things to be a complete set.

I have audio almost sorted out (need a boompole), have only 1 yongnuo 600 light, my computer is capable, i'm thinking of getting a wooden camera cage+handle on some point to add some minor stabilization (any tips where to order them in EU?), i don't have any lens so i have to invest on one also. With lens choice i think i'll get some cheap MFT now but speedbooster is a must have when i can afford.. I wonder are they making a new speedbooster for this or should i aim for the pocket one?

Thank you all for great answers, weren't expecting so many!

January 17, 2016 at 4:14PM, Edited January 17, 4:14PM

Mikko Manninen
Collecting whispers

I feel that if you wait, you'll always be waiting for the right camera. Camera tech and tech in general is now improved constantly. Whether that is a small improvement or some great new thing, unless you are able to rent constantly, you won't be improving if you aren't doing. I think in this industry you can only learn so much from books.

January 11, 2016 at 7:32AM

Tony

OK,so your budget is 2000 $. It depends on when you want to start shooting/producing your next project. A brand new GH4 can be bought right now for less than 1100$ in the US, so no reason to wait if that's good enough for you, and it really is a very nice camera. When the GH5 arrives, you can sell it and upgrade. There will always be a better camera on the horizon. Another decision to take into account are your lenses. Depending on your needs, I think getting the Rokinon (Samyang) VDSLR lenses are a nice start for cinematic kind of work. (these are non electronic, manual lenses) I got the Canon EF type VDSLR lenses and then use a speedbooster to connect them to my GH4. That gives me more flexibility if I ever want to switch to another camera. Canon EF lenses will work on Canon cameras, but also on Blackmagic URSA mini, etc. I prefer that to getting micro 4/3 lenses only. Your lenses ultimately may be even more important than your camera body.

Anyway, there are many ways to get started. If what you want to do absolutely requires shooting in really low light, you may want to get a used Sony A7S. A used canon C100 is another option. Good luck with finding your camera.

January 12, 2016 at 2:14PM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

Your Comment