September 24, 2016 at 8:29PM

What camera under 3000 bucks?

Noob question about gear but please humour me? :)

I'm mostly a stills shooter but want to get into some video projects and step up my game.

First thing is I'd like to shoot better quality than 1080p compressed - so either 1080 RAW, or 4k.

I've looked at some budget options but it seems there is always a compromise. This is what I've been looking at. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these.

---

SONY A7S-2 -- FF - 4k , IBIS, 2500 EURO

SONY A7S (mk1) -- FF - 4k (only when external) 1200 EURO

Nikon D500 -- 4k (Heavy Crop) 2000 EURO

Lumix GH4 -- M43 4k, 1000 EURO

Lumix G7 -- M43 4K, 600 EURO with lens. No V-log? - important

SONY A6300 -- 1.5 Crop - 4K, 900 EURO. Rolling Shutter seems pretty bad ? :(

Canon 5d3 -- 1080 ML RAW. No 4k, 1650 EURO used.

---

The only cameras I'm kinda ruling out above are the D500 and the A7s2, both of which are quite pricey.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

15 Comments

You might want to add the new Pansonic G80/G85 camera to your list. It should be in stores by the end of October. There's no V-LOG profile ( V-LOG works best with 10-bit 4:2:2 recording ), but there is the Cine-D profile that is a pretty good substitute for V-LOG when combined with Paul Leeming's "Leeming LUT ONE" color correction LUT : http://www.leeminglutone.com

The new GH5 is coming, but currently it sounds like it won't ship until May 2017.

You also might consider a used Canon C100 ( mark 1 or mark 2 ), which is a great 1080p "workhorse" camera, and should be in your price range.

September 24, 2016 at 10:23PM, Edited September 24, 10:24PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks for your comment.

The C100 seems amzing but is still a lot of money for non-4k. I don't think I could sacrifice 4k unless I got a much more affordable option.

The Lumix range is very tempting indeed, but I'm edging towards a Sony a6300 for the following reasons:
- I like the sensor size compared to M43
- Rolling Shutter seems to be a problem on ALL of these cameras. I'm not shooting action.
- It seems I can adapt my Nikon lenses for this camera quite easily/affordably.
- The example footage I've seen has blown me away
- Price is excellent

I think I might just wait a couple more weeks to see when Nikon announce to replace either d750/d810. If it heavily crops the sensor like on the d500, I'll get a Sony dedicated to 4k video.

September 26, 2016 at 2:01PM, Edited September 26, 2:04PM

Canon EOS 70D for me. If you can get it for less than $1000.

September 27, 2016 at 2:40AM

Hi Ben. Thanks for your comment. I already have a Nikon D750, which shoots good 1080, just like the Canon 70D. My plan though, is to step up to either 1080-Raw, or 4K. I think I would miss the large sensor if I got a Panasonic, so the Sony a6300 is in the lead for now.
Still, not in a huge rush, so I'll see what Nikon do with their next FF cameras. I just hope it's not more heavy crop 4k like on the D500.

September 27, 2016 at 12:11PM

>>>- Rolling Shutter seems to be a problem on ALL of these cameras

It depends on the camera and the shooting format. Here's a list of the rolling shutter speed for a variety of cameras, including the A6300. ( which is great when shooting HD )
https://goo.gl/KFhuyR

Also be prepared to deal with potential overheating when shooting 4K for more than one hour with the A6300. ( you can improve this performance by adding fans and using an external battery pack, where some people have been able to shoot all day by making these mods to their camera )

September 27, 2016 at 8:20PM, Edited September 27, 8:20PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks for the comment Guy. I didn't realise the a6300 was so significantly poorer in that regard. Something to think about for sure. I'm not in a huge rush as the D750 shoots great video, but I do hope Nikon don't insist on the same crop factor as the D500 when they replace the D7XX/D8XX.

September 27, 2016 at 10:03PM

>>>I didn't realise the a6300 was so significantly poorer in that regard

Only when shooting 4K, which I think is largely because the camera does not have enough image processing power to maintain a faster read-out from the sensor. ( and why the camera can overheat when shooting 4K video )

You always have to remember that the camera sensor is only half of the solution, the other half is the camera image processor that has to be able to read and process huge amounts of data at 24/25/30/50/60 frames per second. ( this is why the new Olympus EM1 Mk2 has two quad-core image processors built in to the camera, and I expect the same thing with the new GH5 camera )

>>>I'm not in a huge rush as the D750 shoots great video

Yes, I've seen gorgeous work shot with the D750, and many people consider it to be better than the D810 when it comes to shooting video. ( the American TV series "Wilfred" starring Elijah Wood was entirely shot with five Nikon D800 cameras )
https://goo.gl/On8I43

Also, there are a couple of good custom profiles for the D750 when shooting video, but I can't remember their names at this moment.

>>>I do hope Nikon don't insist on the same crop factor as the D500 when they replace the D7XX/D8XX.

Yeah, it seems like the D5 and D500 were mainly still-photo cameras first with the 4K video feature tacked on. ( like the new Canon 5D Mk4 )

September 27, 2016 at 10:54PM, Edited September 27, 11:18PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Hi Declan, I'm also looking to buy a new video camera and I'm thinking about the A7S ii and A6300. But since I started my research (about 3 weeks ago) the price for the A7S ii went up from €3000 to €3500. The same happend with the A6300 from €939 to €1299.

Sorry that I don't have an answer for your question but maybe you can help me. On which website did you see those prices your talking about?

September 29, 2016 at 12:26PM, Edited September 29, 12:27PM

Nino Oosterwijk
Young Filmmaker

Hi Nino.
The prices were based on memory to be honest, so not particularly accurate.
FWIW though, I've gotten some good prices from eglobalcentral over the years. (grey)

September 29, 2016 at 6:18PM

Hmm oke, do you have good experience with there service? Just read some reviews and they are going from allot of 1 star reviews to allot of 5 star reviews. Don't really know what to do in this case.

For the people that are reading this. I contacted Sony why there prices went up and its because the factory where they make there sensors in Japan got hit by an earthquake earlier this year in April. So its a supply / demand problem...

September 30, 2016 at 3:47AM

Nino Oosterwijk
Young Filmmaker

Hi Nino. Yes, I've ordered about 5 items from eglobal and never had any issues.

October 1, 2016 at 9:32AM, Edited October 1, 9:32AM

FWIW, If anyone was reading this thread, I've decided 4k can wait.
Instead I ordered a good tripod and fluid head, an ND filter and a 45mm lens with stabilisation.

Next purchase will be a viewfinder, maybe a shoulder rig, a pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones, and then I'm gonna get out and practice, and learn to edit.

I completely underestimated the potential of the Nikon shooting 1080p, but having watched some Wilfred (wow!) from Guys comment in this thread, I'm certain that my D750 will not be the weak link in my productions for quite a while yet.

October 2, 2016 at 12:13AM

Wilfred was a very funny show, and I was absolutely blown away when I found out that it was shot on Nikon D800 cameras. ( I think the first season was shot on Canon 5D Mk2 or Mk3 cameras, but they switched to Nikon D800 cameras from the second season on )

It really shows how good DSLR footage can be when you've got all your production ducks lined up!

October 2, 2016 at 9:43PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I would recommend a Canon C100 Mark I with AF. used on ebay is running around $1900, add a Ninja star Recorder and you have 4:2:2 8 bit recordings. You won't need external audio/adapters, ND filters, or any other "DSLR work arounds." Frame rates are the compromise here though as you won't have 1080 60fps, unless you want to employ a post production trick.

You could also look at the Sony FS100 used. The only reason I bring these up is they are actual video cameras, not a DSLR/Mirroless that can shoot video as well.

Functionality and ease of use can be a big part of a daily driver camera. I would say pick your top 3 and rent/borrow to get a feel for them. Just my two cents here.

October 6, 2017 at 12:00AM

Kyle Acker
Cinematographer/ Video Editor

Blackmagic URSA Mini , Panasonic GH5 , Sony A7S II .

October 6, 2017 at 3:59AM, Edited October 6, 3:59AM

Arsh DSJ
Director Editor Producer

Your Comment