September 17, 2014 at 6:55PM

What's the best 4k camera under $5,000

Preferably something under $5,000

10 Comments

GH4 or A7s coupled with an Atomos Shogun recorder.

October 9, 2014 at 6:21PM

Zan Shin

I agree. Go for the GH4 with the Shogun and Metabones Speed Booster. Shogun on GH4 will give you 10bit 4:2:2 recordings, A7s 8-bit. The Speed Booster will give you the extra stop and changes the cropfactor of 2,3x (4K) to 1,63x.

January 1, 2015 at 6:47PM

Awi Rabelista
Director, DP

Hello Zan and Awi - Thank you for your responses.

I am an avid starting filmmaker and wanting to buy the GH4 for quite some time now...I would be using the camera primarily for shooting video.

I have been hesitant for little, but the Metabones Speed Booster sounds like a great idea and would hopefully clear any doubts of shooting in low light ( in an ideal world we woudn't want to shoot over iso 1600 anyway right ;) is the GH4 truly the best option for the money?

Can I just ask a question to help me resolve a confusion that I have? What if I don't buy the Atmos Shogun with it? Will I still be able to record 4K and bring it to post (either Premiere Pro or Avid) to edit / convert / export? What is the true benefit of the Atmos Shogun?

Thank You!

Regards from Netherlands! M

February 1, 2015 at 11:41PM

I am looking for more inputs to buy a good 4k camera. Please suggest me some

October 16, 2014 at 10:37AM

GH4 or A7s

February 2, 2015 at 4:20PM

Michael Militscher
Director / Commercial Producer

BMPC4K has better dynamic range than both the aforementioned cameras, though it suffers limitations.

February 2, 2015 at 4:58PM

Zachariel Shanahan
Writer/Director

I would have to agree. I own the BMPC4K and i love it, It has a great "film" quality to the shots with lots of dynamic range and the one thing no one ever mentions is it's global shutter, I have never gotten rolling shutter out of the camera no matter how hard I whip pan. A great camera for cinematic filmmaking.

December 29, 2015 at 9:36PM

Christopher Vaughan
Director/ Director of Photography/ Producer

Blackmagic 4k is a good option . Ok is not low light but have DR like best...

February 3, 2015 at 2:06PM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

Gh4 is not very good in low light at all, either. Really ugly noise. I had to return mine, actually. The 4K is decent...when well lit, it truly does capture some pretty beautiful images. If you're looking for a filmic look with color and grain though, Gh4 is not it. Very video-like. Just depends what you're shooting I guess.
Price dropped on the Canon 1DC. Not sub 5,000, but that's a pretty great image for 4k.

February 3, 2015 at 4:33PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

Yeah, definitely recommend the GH4, I've had one since the day it came out and it's still really good and getting major firmware updates including V-LOG. If you are interested in the stuff I've shot with it check out my channel (Infinite Media Productions). This is a music video I shot with it: https://youtu.be/pA8TOJl9Sp0

April 14, 2015 at 2:51AM

Your Comment