November 20, 2014 at 5:17PM

Will Canon Offer RAW video for DSLR Line in 2015?

With Black Magic hacking the Canon Firmware and showing that Canon cameras are capable of putting out stunning RAW video within the small body I am wondering if Canon will continue down the path of trying to protect their camera line or take a risk and add RAW in a firmware update. The only reason I could think of why they wouldnt include it in a firmware update is QA purposes.

Canon has to be aware that their competitors are also putting out great cameras and lenses in small bodys and should continue to innovate to stay relevant.

Interested in other peoples thoughts on incorporating RAW with firmware update.

8 Comments

...Actually it was the Magic Lantern folks that enabled recording RAW with certain Canon cameras.

Shooting RAW requires state-of-the-art uber expensive high speed memory cards in order to keep up with the extremely high RAW data-rate, so you burn though storage space extremely fast. For this reason alone, I don't see Canon supporting RAW recording with any of their DSLR cameras. ( i.e. very expensive memory cards that don't record very much footage )

Canon also does not want to compete with their EOS Cine cameras, so I have big doubts about ever seeing Canon catch up to Panasonic or Sony when it comes to DSLR video performance.

November 23, 2014 at 11:08AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

...Actually it was the Magic Lantern folks that enabled recording RAW with certain Canon cameras.

Shooting RAW requires state-of-the-art uber expensive high speed memory cards in order to keep up with the extremely high RAW data-rate, so you burn though storage space extremely fast. For this reason alone, I don't see Canon supporting RAW recording with any of their DSLR cameras. ( i.e. very expensive memory cards that don't record very much footage )

Canon also does not want to compete with their EOS Cine cameras, so I have big doubts about ever seeing Canon catch up to Panasonic or Sony when it comes to DSLR video performance.

November 23, 2014 at 11:08AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Aye - ML, not a BM hack. Thank you for correcting that.

November 23, 2014 at 8:11PM, Edited November 23, 8:11PM

definitely not happening.i dont think canon is interested in being a pro camera. they'd rather sell volume to enthusiasts. better profits

November 23, 2014 at 7:35PM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

Won't happen. It's clear Canon's SLR line is first and foremost for photographers.
If you want to shoot video, you're either an enthusiast, in which case you're using a cheap camera, or you're a professional, in which case they believe you should be using on of their Cine EOS line cameras.

Sony, on the other hand, have a cinema line as well as their SLR line, and they complement each other well. They have a video camera at every price point in the market.

November 23, 2014 at 8:03PM

J
Director of Photography

That's not happening. If Canon ever does RAW it will be in their cinema line before their DSLRs.

November 23, 2014 at 10:24PM

Beau Wright
Filmmaker

Canon will not put Raw on the DSLR EOS Cameras so enjoy the Hacks (Magic Lantern) and get the cards that work with the hacks for your camera. Its unfortunate that they dont want to move with the time but hey, what can we do?... oh here's what we can do! change our camera system or just keep your glass and get a Camera body that will do what it needs to do to get you the quality you deserve! As it is right Now your best bets are Panasonic, Sony, Blackmagic i'd even say bolex. Canon been dropping the ball...

November 24, 2014 at 2:01PM

Wentworth Kelly
DP/Colorist/Drone Op

Thanks for all the comments guys. Sorry about the Black Magic comment.

December 4, 2014 at 8:18PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Your Comment