February 5, 2015 at 4:47PM

$2,000 for new equipment, what equipment should I get?

Hey guys, so I'm a film student looking to buy some new gear for myself. I've wanted to use more school equipment since we have some really nice stuff, but they have put the hammer down on using it for productions outside of class. A year ago I bought a used Canon 60D and a 50mm prime and it's been great so far. I use it on a daily basis along with a Canon 7D for my job as a student videographer where we make mini-docs on and off campus. So I primarily shoot documentary as well as narrative, sometimes sports for some extra cash! I've saved up about $2,000 and I'm wondering what I should use it for. Originally I thought to buy the 24-105mm f4 because it would be perfect for our run-and-gun style. But then I thought, "well, why don't I just get a new camera?" So I looked into the Canon 6D, but the heavy moire and aliasing really turned me off. I know all DSLRS have it, but it's even worse because that one doesn't have the filter and would cost an extra $300 to put it in. So then I thought about the GH4, which looks great to me! Nice and small, great image with 4k capability and right in my price range! However, it's MFT so I'd have to buy some new glass and couldn't use the lenses I have at work (canon 50mm & kit lens). So what do you guys think? Should I get the lens and deal with the camera for a bit? Should I go for a new camera, like a full frame Canon or the GH4 or A7S? Or should I scrap it all and save even more for something else? Any and all recommendations and tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

5 Comments

Moire is a b*tch. It's ruined several talking head interviews I've shot in the past with my Panasonic GH3 camera, and was one of the main reasons why I bought a GH4 camera just to finally get rid of moire forever.

But given your budget, you may not want to sink everything into a GH4, as it's going to eat up most of your budget, but maybe this is worth it to you.

One alternative camera you might want to consider it the new and unreleased Nikon D7200 camera which is supposed to finally be released within the next month. The D7200 ( like the D7100/D5500/D5300/D5200 cameras ) has almost no moire at all, and finally offers Live-View while you shoot so you can see what's happening with your image as you adjust your camera controls. ( the other cameras I listed do NOT have this feature )

The other camera to check out that's also just coming on the market is the Olympus EM-5 II camera, that looks like it has most of the same features as the Panasonic GH-3, plus it has 5-axis in-camera image stabilization, and 63 Mega-Pixel RAW still photo mode. ( the camera has to be on a tripod and the sensor does sub-pixel shifts to create these ultra high resolution images ) The in-camera stabilization could be the big killer feature because it will work with ANY lens you attach to the camera.

If you can I would wait to check out the Nikon D7200 and the Olympus EM-5 II. Both cameras should sell around the $1,000 mark, and are expected in stores within the next month or two.

February 5, 2015 at 10:58PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Hands on Review of the New Olympus EM-5 II Camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQKYgQaNHQ

February 5, 2015 at 11:31PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Damn, the audio on that review :/

Alex Zakrividoroga

February 8, 2015 at 9:35PM

>>>Damn, the audio on that review :/

...Yeah, I think they used a lav mic under his jacket, but they did not use a lav mic with an upper frequency boost that helps to compensate for all the clothes that sound has to get through.

I shot something like this once and used lav mic with a very furry micro dead-cat on it and mounted the lav mic to the collar of the jacket. The sound was great and the micro dead-cat stopped any wind from ruining the recording.

Guy McLoughlin

February 11, 2015 at 8:42PM

Another EM-5 II Camera Review...

John Brawley : Olympus comes in from the filmmaking wilderness….
https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/olympus-comes-in-from-the-f...

February 6, 2015 at 2:02PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your Comment