May 2, 2016 at 12:34PM

A6300 Or 80D?

Hello! I'm new guy here, i have a some awkward issue about 2 cameras, Canon EOS 80D and Sony A6300. These guys are brand-new camera, and the prices are almost the same. And i need an advice, which is camera should i choose for my videography gear.

So here's the issue. Actually, i've been using Canon since 6 years ago and the video quality is enough for me. Canon just released 80D with great video autofocus and a touchscreen also 1080p 60fps. I love those features and all of my lens are EF or EF-S lens which is extremely compatible to Canon DSLR. In other hand, Sony A6300 is also a great Mirrorless for video! 4K resolution and awesome low-light performance. I'm so confused choosing between these cameras, these cameras have their minus and plus side. 80D doesn't have 4K resolution nor great Low-light performance. A6300 doesn't have touchscreen which is makes me a lil bit uncomfortable even with 4D Focus feature and i have to buy lens adapter to fit my EF / EF-S lens to Sony E-Mount (and i heard that if i put adapter to Sony camera, the AF feature won't work very well).

So what do you guys think? which camera should i choose? I use my camera to record an event (concert, wedding, meeting, workshop, live event, etc) so i really need your opinion about these two cameras.

20 Comments

I would go with the A6300 because it has better low light performance and records 4k on the same sensor size as the 80D.
The 80D is still designed to be a stills camera on the first place. Video is just a added feature which hasn't improved that far since 2008 when the first video capable DSLRs hit the market.
However, the A6300 is designed to record very good 4K. My recommendation for you is:

Get the A6300
Sell all the Canon glass you have that have no mechanic focus dial (might be all STM lenses). But keep L type and normal lenses.
Get the Metabones adaptor or, if you like, even the Metabones speedbooster EF to E mount.
If any money is left buy new lenses that refills your missing focal lengths. Ether in EF or, if AF is very important for you, one or two E mount lenses from Sony so you can use the A6300's AF in it's full glory.

May 2, 2016 at 4:48PM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

I know it is me but I never understood that ever appearing 'low light' argument.

If you want to make a good video you need good light. Without good light you cannot make a good video not even with a million dollar camera.

May 2, 2016 at 5:26PM

Cary Knoop

Agree, I hate that argument. If you want contrast and things too look good, light is the answer!

Tony Adalbert

May 4, 2016 at 10:32AM

Sure, adding lights would be the best solution, but he mentioned he's using this camera to shoot events. A low light camera would be the best for this type of subject.

Dan Montenegro

May 4, 2016 at 11:56AM

I havent use the a6300 yet but I have use the 80d, and honestly the picture quality is fine, if you aim for hd then I find it totally good enough. Same for low light, you will have noise but the noise partern is good looking. I have film a concert with it and I was very happy of the result, ease of use, it's a pleasure to use. I was amazed by the autofocus I did not expect my ultrasonic lenses to be so smooth in auto.
In the end I wish the 80d had the image quality of the a6300 but it hasn't, and as I am an image geek I have order the a6300, but if you are fine with the image quality of the canon then go for it!

May 4, 2016 at 8:59AM

AvdS

I'd probably go for the sony, because I shoot rarely and methodically so I can put a premium on image quality, but I still know that using the canon would be much easier, smoother and less frustrating. If this were for photos, I'd pick the Canon.

May 4, 2016 at 10:10AM

I had been thinking about the Sony a6300 as well but have been rethinking that as I have heard about overheating issues after 29 minutes of shooting. many are reporting the camera shuts down. Also battery life isn't as good as on a DSLR.

May 4, 2016 at 12:34PM

Dan Montenegro
Director/Producer

I would say buy the 80d. The over heating issues on the a6300 means that after 29 minutes of shooting the even the camera is out for a chunk of time, That time being very valuable, you may miss something big. on canon cameras like the 70d and 80d your not going to run the risk, I shoot all my wedding videos on 70d's (or if i can swing it, rent a c100) because they are reliable and they are producing the image my customers are happy with. I would say pick up a really good lens for low light also.

May 6, 2016 at 9:14AM, Edited May 6, 9:14AM

Carsten Weizer
Independent swiss army knife of a film maker

If you check my profile / page / channels the last 6 or 7 videos have been shot with an 80D (everything in Spain). It's a great camera and the picture is fine to my eyes. I've seen reviews that claim it's video quality is as good as 5dmk3 and some that claim it hasn't improved in years. It looks good to me, but I admit I don't point my camera at a test chart, I'm too busy shooting stuff :)

If you've used canon for 6yrs and are happy then stick with it. Presumably your post work flow is all built around that and the 80D will fit right in. If you feel you want a change or to see what things are like on the other side of the fence. try the Sony. (Just be aware of the overheating issues and how that might effect your shoots if you suddenly can't use your camera).

Can you borrow / rent a Sony to get a feel for it - presuming you already know what an 80d will handle like. If not try that too it you can?

May 6, 2016 at 12:04PM, Edited May 6, 12:06PM

Cole Black
Filmmaker

This is a very good comparison, review, between the two : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoNRXWFTFa4&feature=youtu.be

May 8, 2016 at 4:06AM

AvdS

Cool comparison. The most important point probably being "I would not recommend the A6300 for event work or anything that requires long takes." due to it overheating and the unreliability of it being able to record. That could be the deciding factor for you.

May 9, 2016 at 1:51AM

Cole Black
Filmmaker

I've read numerous reports that the 80D had the same soft, not-crisp video as that of it's predecessors. I had the 70D and was shocked at how bad the video was compared to the GH3. (sounds like the 80D and 70D have the same video quality). I'm all in on the Panasonic GH4 and Sony a6300 (although the 4k overheats after 20 mins... and is compressed... blah... but I've had no production problems with the HD settings.)

May 10, 2016 at 9:30AM

Dennis Nagelkirk
Write. Film. Edit. Draw. Paint.

Totally agree that the gh4 is better for high quality film work, but there's something to be said for the ease of use of the 80d. Depends on the situation. I have both cameras. I have a YouTube channel where I'm trying to get 4 videos done a week. I can get the color I want in cam on the canon but always struggle with it on the gh4. I wouldn't consider myself some pro film maker though so some people probably have an easier time with it. Now if the 5d mark iv has 4K, dual pixel af, and an articulating screen I'll be all over it.

Matt Culley

May 25, 2016 at 6:26AM

May 10, 2016 at 9:32AM

Dennis Nagelkirk
Write. Film. Edit. Draw. Paint.

That eos article is a little biased though. If you read the lengthy comments he basically picked it up, played with it for half an hour. Then took it back. It may well be the 80D video quality sucks compared to every other modern camera (tho I find it to be great) but I wouldn't take just their word on it.

May 10, 2016 at 5:34PM, Edited May 10, 5:34PM

Cole Black
Filmmaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twE2BKvQS_4

There is less moire but other than that I would say that video is the same.
So yeah this is 2016 and I would not buy 1080p(does it even have 1080p detail ?) DSLR to shoot video.

Just go with panasonic or sony

revo

May 11, 2016 at 1:20PM

I can't comment on the A6300, but I recently shot with the 80D. I'm usually a Panasonic shooter (GH3 and G7). I also shoot frequently with Canon 5D III's and a C100.

In comparison to all those cameras, and for the price point of the 80D, I was somewhat appalled by the build quality and feel of the camera. The AF tracking was pretty decent, but I wasn't really digging the ergonomics and controls. At this time, and at this price point, I'd find it hard personally to pull the trigger on an 80D if my focus was video.

Magic Lantern RAW could always bump the quality and features, but I don't know their support for the 80D or if you want to pursue that workflow.

May 12, 2016 at 9:38PM, Edited May 12, 9:39PM

Chris Uy

It's highly unlikely magic lantern will ever support the 80D as it still doesn't support the 70D.

May 13, 2016 at 8:32PM

Cole Black
Filmmaker

Hi guys! Thank you very very much for you responses! Sorry if it take a long time to respond all of you guys because i completely forgot that i ever asked this question. Currently i'm using 60D (very old camera), and i have none those L lenses (because here, in Indonesia it costs alot of money). So, my final choice is A6300. I love Canon camera, but those video quality i can't handle it anymore. 2016 and still 1080p, really Canon :(

May 21, 2016 at 4:21PM, Edited May 21, 4:21PM

Rahmat Tantular
Videographer

Definitely think the a6300 has better video quality but I just can't stand using Sony cameras. I've found myself using the 80d more than my gh4 and g7 lately. I agree it's not the best image quality out there but it's good enough for my YouTube videos and damn I enjoy using it so much more than the other cameras. I've found with the Sonys I owned in the past, and my panasonics, I just spend so much time trying to get my color right.

May 25, 2016 at 6:31AM

Your Comment