December 27, 2014 at 5:54AM

a7s 3200 iso base - isn't that extremely high?

I'm trying to decide between the GH4 and the a7s.

2K, 4K...who cares at this point. For me it's all about dynamic range. And aside from the low light capability, the a7s has more dynamic range than the Gh4. But to maximize the range you need to shoot in slog2, correct? But the base iso is 3200. Isn't that really, really high? I mean, if you're shooting outside, you'd constantly need an ND filter. Or am I wrong about that?

So for every different lens you'd need at least one filter (or one variable filter). Just seems like a pain in the ass, no?

3 Comments

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the a7s shoots wider dynamic range even in modes other than S-log. 3200 is only a limitation if you are shooting in that mode, which I would not recommend unless you plan on doing heavy post work.

December 27, 2014 at 1:16PM

Geoff C. Bassett
Director of Photography

totally agree, I love shooting S-log but needs lot of post work to make it look good.
but other picture profile and setup looks great also.

Keith Kim

May 5, 2015 at 1:01PM

One option is getting a variable nd and step up rings for your lenses so they all match the variable nd. Its a stellar little camera and yeah 3200 is jigh for outside. But with a variable nd your okay. Shooting on a flat picture profile (not slog) still gets you somewhere close to 12 stops though which is decent... Then u switch to slog2 and its like whoa look at those highlights unclip! Beware banding on plain walls though... more obvious in slog once graded but often not seen when viewing slog on screen

May 5, 2015 at 10:11AM, Edited May 5, 10:12AM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Your Comment